MWF Chess: Frank (W) vs Whiterook (B)

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

MWF Chess: Frank (W) vs Whiterook (B)

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Let's try something a little different! Frank has agreed to try out a game of Chess from another platform. Comments welcome on yays or nays on it's looks, ease of interpretation, etc. etc. etc.

Frank draws White and plays first....

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 2.07.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 2.07.00 PM.jpg (390.05 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

For Chess Notation, see the following article on the Logistics area...

http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1236&sid=5fd04d1a81f1075e7beb6cdf8a1963be
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: MWF Chess: Frank (W) vs Whiterook (B)

Postby josta59 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Kick some ass, you guys! lol
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:49 am

Good clear looking board, and the numbering is going to make things so much simpler.

E2 to E4 please Em.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:42 pm

White moves e4;
Black moves e5;
White's move....

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 5.39.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 5.39.07 PM.jpg (393.76 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Of course, on a game where I'm not playing, I'd post the players board/move....and then flip the board for the next player up :D

Yeah, I couldn't decide if I liked this board or not...angle-wise. It's a fixed angle; though I can change the board and pieces to many different styles, which is kinda cool. And I agree, that the numbered board is very nice....hence my not posting the usual board numbering diagram.

As we go along, I'd like to hear how you liked playing n the board, Frank...and from the audience, if you are able to follow the game better, do you like the looks better, etc.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:15 pm

I like it, the numbering is great! Before I actually drew a board out on paper and wrote down the numbers.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:45 pm

Knight to F3 please Em.

The board looks fine to me, but then again I am playing White so it is the right way round for me. I like the idea of different styles of playing piece, personally I love the Lewis set, but the Staunton set that you are using is probably the easiest to recognise for most people.

Mike, good to see you on here again :D .
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Frank wrote:The board looks fine to me, but then again I am playing White so it is the right way round for me. I like the idea of different styles of playing piece, personally I love the Lewis set, but the Staunton set that you are using is probably the easiest to recognise for most people.

Yeah, on a game with one of the players not being me, I'll flip the board for the black piece player, so it will be from their perspective.

I have to agree in the Lewis set. I have a ...well, obsession for chess sets. I am constantly pulling myself back from the urge to buy this or that one. That's make a good thread, actually! :lol:

Frank wrote:, good to see you on here again :D .

Mike who? :? ....seriously miss you around here, my friend!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Well, as they say...'The best laid plans....'

The app I was using, is made for iPhone or other mobile devices. Why the HELL does the App Store sell you an app from your computer if the fraking thing is for mobile devices? Basically, I can't save and open a game in progress, on the computer anyway....so, it is useless.

I saw another game app on the App Store, but I'm reluctant to buy it (it's $4.99)...it says you can save a game, but I don't know that for sure, as that's what I thought with this app just used :x This is what that app's board looks like....

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.20.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.20.58 PM.jpg (229.09 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

So, let's try Plan B: The Chess app that came with my Macbook Pro. It doesn't have a swivel lock, so as soon as I make a move, the board automatically swivels to the other player. That's probably OK. The good news with this is, the computer app comes with the numbered/lettered board; and, I can engage the notation panel on the side (let me know if you like the latter...I think I do).

White moves Nf3....

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.00.52 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.00.52 PM.jpg (223.33 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

Black's moves d6....

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.01.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.01.58 PM.jpg (225.01 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

White's move

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Ahhhhh....you can't really read the notation. Oh well, I'll turn it off for the next series of shots, which will probably make the chessboard bigger anyway.

What I also didn't mention before was, I downloaded the EG Chess app, which is the one we used previously (the game Frank and Scott are playing at this time). The difference with that one is, it doesn't have a screen capture, so I have to do like the earlier one featured in this game and my laptop game, which is take screenshots. What do you think of that one (EG Chess) vs this laptop one?

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”