North Africa board game, Em vs Scott

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Re: North Africa board game, Em vs Scott

Postby josta59 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Whiterook wrote:So, if I am reading this right, it costs 1 MF to move a hex; 2 MF to move into a hex with a building; and 3 MF to move into a hex with a Building that has a wall....is that about right? (...it's a little easier for me to understand it in those terms).

Exactly right! You're right, that is easier to understand. :? :lol:

Whiterook wrote:I am hazy on Melee....how's that work?

Melee is built into the combat table so that you don't even have to think about it. When enemies fight from one hex away, they receive a +2 damage modifier. In an urban area, however, that's usually negated by the -2 modifier for cover.

So the only parts of the table you'll have to think about are having a leader within 1 hex, staying stationary when possible, and keeping your strength points above half!

Game action coming next.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Em's elite platoon walks into a hornet's nest! The Americans, armed with only rifles and grenades, were so ready for them.

Bear in mind that I designed this game to discourage stacking. Stacking offers no advantage beyond freedom of movement. And... "all units in a targeted hex lose an equal number of strength points when that hex is attacked."

In all my solo games, I don't stack at all. So I didn't realize just how bad it can be!

Your 2 half squads in T5 moved to R5, making contact with my squad in the objective hex Q5. I rolled a 6 for opportunity fire and fired 1d6=5. 5 +1 ldr, +1 not moved, +2 distance, -2 cvr, -1 elite =6. Since your half squads were only 6/6, and they were both in the target hex, they were both destroyed! :o

Then your 2 half squads in S5 moved to R4, making contact with 2 of my squads! I rolled for opp fire for my squad in Q4 and got another 6. They fired 1d6=1. 1 +1 ldr, +2 distance, -1 cvr, -1 elite =1. So both your half squads were reduced to 5/6.

Your men returned fire, rolling 1d6=2. 2 +2 distance, -2 cvr, -1 return =1. My squad in Q4 was reduced to 11/12.

Then my squad in Q5 opp fired again with another roll of 6! And their combat roll was also a 6! That was even better than their roll that wipe out your first two half squads, so they completely wiped them all out in one turn!

Your tanks did much better. Unlike my squads, my tank didn't opp fire at all. Your crippled tank rolled 3d6=2,3,3. 3 -2 half strength =1, and my tank was reduced to 7/12. It returned fire with 1d6=1. 1 -1 elite, -1 return =-1, so there was no effect.

Your strong tank rolled 3d6=6,4,2. No DRMs applied in this case, so my tank was reduced further to 1/12. It returned fire with 1d6=3. 3 -1 elite, -1 return, -2 half strength =-1, no effect.

North Africa_end turn 4b.png
End turn 4

Unfortunately, your tanks can't win this game for you. Your leader has no chance by himself. Would you like to restart? I'd be happy to switch sides with you.

Just for fun, I made an initiative roll for turn 5, and you finally get to initiate! And you activated all your remaining units.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Congrats...very well played, sir!

Yeah, I'll yield for this game :D .....white towel thrown :lol:

I enjoyed this game. I learned a lot in the short battle, but still am getting the hang of a few things. One thing I learned literally before logging onto the site, looking over the rules sheet you posted, was that stacking was BAD moving adjacent to your units. I am so used to single (and multiple) hex Firegroups and combined firepower that it was almost knee-jerk tactics. I then saw *all units suffer equal damage* and went....OH CRAP/ I knew what likely happened before even seeing the thread :lol: :shock: :lol:

So, with your experience playing, did you find mass attacks of single unit/hex against lesser enemy forces more advantageous? ...or did you try more a bait tactic trying to out maneuver? The reason I ask is, in a heavy urban battlefield, you can't fire from a distance when the enemy is in the center of clustered buildings....you almost have to move in and attack adjacent.

I'm not real comfortable playing with carried troops yet (the APC), so, I'd prefer either a rematch of this scenario with the Germans again; or brew something else up and come back to this one after?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Ok, I'll break out another map and try for something a little more balanced.

Whiterook wrote:So, with your experience playing, did you find mass attacks of single unit/hex against lesser enemy forces more advantageous? ...or did you try more a bait tactic trying to out maneuver? The reason I ask is, in a heavy urban battlefield, you can't fire from a distance when the enemy is in the center of clustered buildings....you almost have to move in and attack adjacent.

I'm more of a bait and outmaneuver guy. I learned on a web-based game that was similar to this, but with no stacking or opp fire. The only way to win was to bait and outmaneuver until you could pit strong units against weaker ones.

But mass attacks of single units against smaller forces works great, too! As long as they're not stacked in the same hex.

This is the first time I've played with these rules against an actual opponent, so it's sure to be interesting.

I am wondering now which is more realistic...stacking as beneficial due to increased firepower, or stacking as detrimental due to grouped targets? Maybe the answer is somewhere in-between.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm

josta59 wrote:I am wondering now which is more realistic...stacking as beneficial due to increased firepower, or stacking as detrimental due to grouped targets? Maybe the answer is somewhere in-between.

Well, that's certainly an interesting question.... In some systems, stacking can be a very bad thing, because all units can be attacked; but it is almost often necessary in order to have stronger FP in single or multi hex Firegroups, all firing at full FP.

On another side of the ponder... You have systems that allow a Firegroups with one counter leading at full FP, and the other units stacked ass a Firegroup with it at 1/2 FP (and no multi hex Firegroups).

I think it's more realistic that units can have the choice of firing individually or as a Firegroup....that's the way it generally is in real life; the situation governing some not firing, like being disrupted and unable to fire.

This system doesn't go deep in the weeds, and is very much representational in a lot of mechanics from what I can tell so far (and that's a big part of the appeal, for me).

What I am uncomfortable with is deep urban combat....to get a bead on your opponent, you need to be adjacent deep in the city/town. That's very limiting. How can you flush them out? In order to be realistic in that vein, you need some two and three story buildings to allow LOS over intervening buildings.

Another idea could be 1/2 squad Recon units that can spot for mortar and artillery indirect fire. The Recon unit would use stealth movement on a roll (say 4-6 on 1d6 to allow a 2 or 3 hex move; and same roll for the enemy to spot the Recon unit after it moves in place for opportunity fire.

We can move this to the R&d area if you want.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 am

Ok Emery, head on over to snowy Europe!

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”