The Old Grumpy persons guide to the Tirpitz....

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Old Grumpy persons guide to the Tirpitz....

Postby MAGNA » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am

OK. Number three son got me a Revell kit of the Tirpitz as a present. Isn't that nice. Or is it payback for all the times I made him go to school
or sit through old episodes of Doctor Who ?

Dunno really.

Either way it's a good looking box. I opened it as you do and looked straight at the instructions. A sheet or two ? Several sheets ? No....
What is this - do you get a free copy of War and Peace with the kit ?
Nope. That is the instruction book.....

Oh. I don't know if anyone has made a 1/350th scale battleship before but I'm sure you've all seen them. You know, the Tamiya ones and others
in the big boxes ?

Well, these kits have a lot of parts. Well done too. You even have to put the radar bits together as well as the little tender boats and the
obligatory float plane/s.

This is great. A level five kit requiring lots of skill. This one even comes with the camouflage decals - the black and white stripey ones.

This one will take a long time to get right but that's a good thing isn't it ?

Grumpy time. My eyes aren't as good as they were - even with the help of glasses. My dexterity levels aren't as good either. A roll of two or
higher for a new D&D character would beat me.

Still I thought. I'm experienced. A bit of patience and logical thought will suffice.

Then I look at the thing again with my glasses on..... the box is smaller than usual... actually about half the size... then it dawns on me....
this thing is not 1/350th. It's a 1/350th scaled down. The newer manufacturing methods allow this.

There we have it. The same number of parts as the 1/350th kit but all half the size in yep, 1 frikkin 700th!!

1/700th. Sweat, shiver.... same parts but smaller... have to put all the guns, planes, boats together in braille scale divided by f#$@in' 10.

Oh dear...... stay tuned for the next exciting instalment.. Episode two - Can the hull be put together without the aid of nano technology ?......
My get up and go never got here in the first place

McCoy

Re: The Old Grumpy persons guide to the Tirpitz....

Postby McCoy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am

Good luck mate!
Reality - The worst game ever!

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Thank you Sir!!

I may need it.

I have done some more on this. As with ship models I am building each piece of the superstructure separately. It's impossible to paint these things
properly if you whack it together first. Too many nooks and cranny's.

The mould on this one has turned out tone first class. So many small parts was what scared me at first but cutting them from the sprue has been
a pleasant surprise. Very easy and no flash.

The gun barrels even move independently once a turret is built which is pretty good for this scale. Even the wooden decking has the lines in it.
I tried a method I had been working on for something else to weather the deck a bit and show some of the lines in the wood planking without it
looking fake. The hard part here was to keep it subtle and have a non uniform look as the real thing would have.

I painted the wood colour using water based artists acrylics (thanks to GEEK for this as it gives much more scope than sticking with oil based).
when that dried I used a black texta on it's side to lightly run over the decking in the bow to stern direction (not sideways - that will result in a huge
cock up). The raised sections now had thin black lines. This looked bad as it was very fake and overdone. Next trick was to get a damp cloth and
wipe in the same direction. The texta is water based but doesn't "set" like paint does. The wiping took the black off the raised lines and pushed
it in between where it belongs. The black spread as well to make a thin film over the wood colour which gives a subtle hint of fading as well as
an equally subtle hint of planking. Quite pleased with that. From first view no one else will notice but I will. Note I used a texta not an artline.

Artline does set a lot better so it wouldn't wipe well. I may have got better result with a red brown texta but it would have been harder to wipe.
I don't know. I've done it now so I'm not willing to chance anything else.

Back to the kit quality. Most of the ship hulls I have put together have been a bit out of whack. When glueing the main deck on this can really
show up. I think it's mostly due to having to clamp the two sections of hull while they dry and not quite having it stay right. This kit was a whisker
out at the bow but had really good cross pieces that fit in the hull to line things up. The main deck is cleverly done as it is made very thin. The
deck doesn't have to be glued in at one go due to this. I was able to glue the rear half and then easily lift the front section to glue that later.
Very good for lining stuff up.

The detail on this is still surprising me. It even comes with the signal flags for the mast. That'll be fun.

So far what I thought was going to be a real chore has been a pleasure. I am more used to 1/600th Airfix stuff but even though this is 1/700th
and only part built it already looks so much better.

P.S. Defeated the dreaded carpet monster at last. No more parts falling into the pile never to be seen again. A plastic floor mat you say ?
Batman, Batman you say ? No!! Tore the farging carpet up and painted the concrete floor. Only a few hours work and modelling deserves
it....

Get some pics up soon.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:39 am

Nice.
I have a wooden floor and I still manage to lose parts. Looking forward to pics.
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:15 pm

Wow....great write ups! I too cannot wait to see this build. Are planning to base it on finials?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:48 am

The football finials perhaps ?

No, not really. I want to do a water line display but I'm damned if I'm going to cut the hull off in case I change my mind.

I have an idea how to do it without using gel water or whatever so we will see how it goes.

In the meantime the small parts are going together now. Should come out alright from a distance.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:38 am

Ok. Still going slowly on this one. The hull is starting to look like a Tirpitz. Some battleships weren't distinctive and some were. This one definitely
is. The colour scheme is the one from mid to late war. There is some argument as to what colours were used. I've gone with the popular one
cause it includes a nice blue which is cool.

Back to the grumpy bits..... the little bits are going together nicely but there are a lot of little bits. Boats, planes, radar, masts.... all small. Then there
are the tertiary guns. Primary are the main turrets and 15" guns. Bigger so good. Secondaries are in turrets as well so again fairly easy to work with.
Tertiaries are the AA stuff and are very small with three parts to be glued together.... grump snort....

There is one other small but growing problem. We got given this cat see..... it's young and inquisitive just like any cat. Only problem is this is a
Scottish Fold. They have a gene which makes their ears fold forward. They have very large eyes as well which gives them an owl like appearance.
Very friendly cats but also extremely single minded and when awake they spend most of their time 'grabbing'.

By 'grabbing' I mean grabbing. These cats are also different as they stand on their haunches rather than leaning on things with their front legs. Very
similar to a Meerkat. Now this looks cute enough but instead of using a paw to swipe or pull things off, say, a modelling table, these ones use both
front paws and grab. Then they can take a quick chew or bounce away with whatever has been purloined.

catstand.jpg

This is what I mean. All ready to take and go.....

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:56 am

Note. The cat shown in the previous post is for illustration only. Thus it is only undercoated in grey (if you believe that please let me know, I have a friend
who can get you a nice deal on a slightly used bridge in San Francisco with an option for an opera house in Sydney).

The other slight problem is my modelling chair. You know, the special one you always sit in when you do your modelling. This cat has decided it is a good
place to sleep. Other cat will move to the back and I can sit at the front. No probs. This breed tends to sleep on their back and stretch. At the same time
they clamp their claws in at each end. The also have exceptionally sharp claws.

Thus we have the following....

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

Yes, I am comfortable thank you. No, I am not moving and if you want to try to peel me out of here I will attack your feet when you are asleep. yes
folks, this cat knows when the clock says 3AM and that is when the attack occurs. Very sharp teeth too...

So, we have harassments from all sides. When I finally get to sit down and do i can't leave anything to dry. I have to move it all and close the cabinet.
Brushes etc must be put away as well or they may not be located in a hurry the next time.

Still, I'll get there....

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:40 am

OK. Cat is asleep so please read this quietly.

Been doing some of the little bits. The superstructure shows lots of holes. These are for even littler bits (AA and so on).

The boats will need windows painted on but the detail is there.

The Arado even includes a propeller to glue on!!

Must say the Arado is the best looking German plane of the war - well seaplane.... at least it is the best one used on the Tirpitz..........

little bits.jpg

Some of the smaller bits. Each must be done as much as possible before glueing on as painting afterward is mostly impossible.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:19 am

Nice progress mate and as for the cat, you can't win that battle...
Reality - The worst game ever!

Return to “Follow As I Build”