Henschel 129 in 1/48 by Hasegawa

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Henschel 129 in 1/48 by Hasegawa

Postby Geek44 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:22 am

Started building this kit not that long ago. It's a pretty basic kit and I think it's one of Hasegawa's older ones. I bought it on a whim in a country town model shop who's selection was fairly limited but was good quality stuff. I got this specifically for the paint scheme which is pretty much the reason for this thread.
By now I have the thing built enough for painting which means it's assembled and all of the gaps have been dealt with more or less. All of the sub-assemblies are done and painted in a basic way...I'll weather it when it's all together with decals in place too.
So, this aircraft was used in Tunisia and arrived there wearing it's generic European splinter camo scheme of the two greens with a pale blue underside. On arrival it was painted in the field with a complicated scheme known as "wellenmuster" which loosely translates as "mirror-wave". Modellers and gamers pretty much simply refer to it as "scribble" or "meander" patterns...either way, it's a very difficult scheme to pull off on models. Hence the challenge.
Below is a photo of the exact aircraft I'm building. Note the difference in spinners which indicates that the starboard one (left one in the photo) has been taken from a different aircraft to replace the original whci would have received the same camouflage treatment as the other. A book I've had since the mid-seventies illustrates this aircraft in a colour profile and suggests repair after a minor accident.

As you can see...after repair it's obviously had a bad landing which has bent all prop blades and it's lost its nose-cone. It also looks to me like the starboard landing leg is bent. The main thing to note in the photo is the camouflage pattern.
This pattern was applied in the field over the standard scheme and one might expect it to encroach on at least the national insignia which would have been present on arrival at its unit.
So far I've painted the under surfaces and the first lighter green of the upper. I've been experimenting with pre-shading and after the Mig-21 I'm finding that the results are pretty pleasing. I've shaded all panel lines and also areas that will be stained by exhaust.

Canopy is masked with Testors Bare Metal Foil which is a pitifully easy way to do this. Cut a piece of foil bigger than the pane you wish to mask, stick it on and burnish down with a cotton-bud (Q Tip). Then simply cut around the inside of the canopy frame with a very sharp blade...too simple. This is a trick I picked up reading "How-To" books by the great Francois Verlinden.
This upper colour is now coated with two coats of Alclad Clear Laquer. Tomorrow I will mask the second green and paint that.
Thanks for looking. ;)
Every part a masterpiece.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Henschel 129 in 1/48 by Hasegawa

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:27 pm

An interesting looking build, but the camo scheme looks a right pig to do.

Good luck.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Looking forward to see this one come to life mate!
Reality - The worst game ever!

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:29 am

Three hours of masking and I finally painted the darker "Schwarzgrün". Masks still on until tomorrow so I don't know how it turned out yet.
Will probably have to bust out my Iwata Custom Micron B for the Sand colour. Still not sure how I'm going to manage it but the photo of the real plane looks pretty rough...that gives me some wriggle space. :o

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:16 am

Ooh, goody gumdrops. A 129. A favourite bird of mine.

The camo is wicked on these.

Best part is I get to look at the pics of a great job as I know I wouldn't get it right myself.

Will keep checking on this one.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:02 am

Okay so here's what three hours of masking looks like...

Here's the result...

Underside...

Note that little bit of green over-spray on the top end of the bulge for the big gun (30mm) slung under the belly :oops: .

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:10 am

Now with basic decals...

There are a few stencils left to apply but I want to apply them after the application of the Wellenmuster camo. My reasoning was that the decals you see would have been present already when the aircraft arrived at its unit...in this case in Tunisia. The squiggles were field-applied and at times encroached upon the national insignia, especially the highly visible white parts...deliberately or not. I think the main reason I want the stencils to be free of sand colour is so that they're visible. The fuel placards (the red or yellow triangles) are a great point of colour that I didn't want to obscure.
So now I'm at the pointy end of this challenging paint job and I wish I has as much faith in myself to pull it off as MAGNA seems to have in me (thanks mate :? ). As I type I'm allowing a coat of clear gloss laquer that's sealed in the decals to cure over night...then I'll probably experiment a little on an old model or some stray parts. I'll need to get my paint mix and air pressure right before attempting it.
Cheers.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:35 am

I'd place the stencils before you do the squigles as that would make it easier to avoid them. Besides that I hardly think that they took that much care to avoid the stencils when they added the squigles. Then you could also protect the paintwork with future and blast away the squigles with enamel leaving you a huge safety margin when your finger twitch at the worst possible moment...

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:47 am

Probably should have done that Urban but then I felt a bit wary of shooting enamel through the Custom Micron B as a first try.
As it is I used Tamiya "Desert Yellow" which I thinned to my usual ratio. I found that it worked pretty well until I was about half way through and then the airbrush started to act strangely. The paint flow would stop until pressure built up and then it would start again. Next time I will mix a smaller batch of paint and apply it in stages...I'd also consider adding a bit of Windex because I think my problem stemmed from paint beginning to cure in the cup.
Found the airbrush beautiful to use and the finesse it's capable of is simply amazing. This is the tool for those incredible Regia Aeronautica paint jobs.
Having said that I found cleaning it to be far more involved than with my Eclipse and the colour cup is smaller meaning I can't get my finger into it wrapped in a rag so I have to clean that out with cotton tips which is slightly annoying. Anyway...here are the results.

Funny things happening to the colour here. Camera making it too blue.

Tail section showing squiggles. Still to paint on white Mediterranean Theatre tail band. Note small spiderweb from lousy airbrush technique at the top of the tail fin :oops: .

Tail band applied.
Had some trouble with my clear gloss coats and I've found it very difficult to get a true gloss finish using either the Alclad Clear Gloss Laquer (seen here), Tamiya Clear or anything really. This is leading to added issues with decals and silvering. Now wondering if I should simply ditch all my matt paints and use gloss exclusively and the dull that up with Dullcote at the end or what?
I'd be happy to hear what you guys have had success with because I'm done with the Alclad stuff. Cheers.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 am

Hard work mate, I'm not sure that I would manage it.

Return to “Follow As I Build”