P-51D Mustang

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: P-51D Mustang

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:06 pm

So, running across the VERY small, and by this point crumpled piece of instructions for the cockpit detail set, I'd realized I forgot the seat braces :shock: ...so, using a piece of white plastic flower pot marker, I cut two even sections of braces and placed them on the seat using angle tweezers...

DSC04005.JPG

And then carefull painted them with a fine detail brush....

DSC04008.JPG

DSC04007.JPG

DSC04010.JPG
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Next up were the right wing open machine gun bay. This has some fair detail to it but, very basic sculpt. I first scribed the bullet grooves at the base and uppers, and shaped the bullet heads a tad. I then painted the bullets with the closest thing I had to brass; then darkened up the casings; then used silver for the ammo feed mechanism, black for the machineguns, and a hand mixture color in the bay closer to Chromate Yellow....

DSC04014.JPG

DSC04015.JPG

DSC04016.JPG

And the wing together, putting the whole machine guns/bay together...

DSC04017.JPG

DSC04018.JPG

Of course, the machine gun bay will get a full darkening wash before long...so it's a little bright in there at the moment :lol:

The bay will be open on the static display, so I will be cutting the cover in three, and making a brace to hold the small square-ish area open, and other panels laid upon the wings.

I was going to originally tweak the flaps, but the kits' construction and sculpt would make it a real mess to deal with. I am just not that into it!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Next up will be my first ever try with Milliput putty, so I taped off the area with Tamiya tape, ready for application....

DSC04020.JPG

Now I actually have the Milliput on, but haven't yet taken a picture. I have to say...I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!! The Squadron putty is being trashed and I am a Milliput convert. Thanks Nick!!!!! :D

Also, I am very excited to say that my order of Vallejo Metal Color paints and primer arrived just today, so I'll be ready to try some out on this kit.

DSC04019.JPG

As an aside, the model required a lot of fine detail sanding for flash and ejector marks. When I glued the fuselage halves together, they didn't line up. Also, there were a couple chunks missing...most notably on the cockpit dash. I don't know if this is one of the better Revell kits Urban mentioned, but it sure don't feel like it. But it is still a pleasant build. I'm curious how good I can make this look in the end.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:05 pm

No, absolutely NOT! It's an old PIG!!!
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Nearing completion of building. Milliput dry and sanded. Wonderful stuff! It evened out bad casting in the sculpt, hence the thick width of the stuff on the belly ...

DSC04021.JPG

DSC04022.JPG

DSC04023.JPG

DSC04024.JPG

DSC04025.JPG

Ready for canopy work, and then some paint....

DSC04026.JPG

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 am

Looking great mate, Glad you've found the Milliput agreeable.
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:07 pm

By the way....no, she didn't fly away :lol:

I've been side-tracked, but have big plans for this bird. I came across a story of how some were used to drop barrels of beer to the troops on the battlefield and decided to give that a whirl. I left off making the barrels :D

Planning to use the Vallejo MetalColor acrylics on this kit. My only regret to date is not modeling the flaps down for a static 'parked' girl. It likely would have been a butcher job anyway, but there you have it!

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 am

If you're going for a natural metal finish (NMF) you should invest in some Micromesh Polishing cloths...these are things that aero modellers really should have on their bench. They range from 3,600 grit to 12,000 grit. You can polish scratches out of transparent parts with them they're that fine.
The word is to go over the entire surface of the model until it shines before even thinking about applying NMF. This is why I've never done one seriously. :?
Good luck. Looks great so far.
Every part a masterpiece.

Return to “Follow As I Build”