Rommel's Rod -- The Desert Fox's Krazy Kommand Kar

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rommel's Rod -- The Desert Fox's Krazy Kommand Kar

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

An oldie but a goodie from 2009! One of my more whacky subjects and I thought it might be fun to resurrect 'ol Rommel here at MWF!

This is a mini-build log for the kit, Rommel's Rod -- The Desert Fox's Krazy Kommand Kar, as designed my legendary Tom Daniel. It's a Monogram model, in 1:24 Scale, and I built it between October 10-31, 2009. It was billed as my Halloween Build on a couple modeling forums, the challenge being to finish it before and display it at midnight on Halloween. It was a fun challenge on myself. :D

Maybe it's time for another Halloween build ???

This is an AWESOME kit to build and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to so something a little different. Of note on this build: The figures are provided with the kit, but I tried to improve them with some tattered clothes made of air-dry clay and tape; Rommel has an Iron Cross made of Evergreen plasticard and trinket jewelry chain, and a baton made of sprue; and the biggest alteration was to the soft top roof, which was converted....I didn't like the molded roof folded down on the car frame and opted to build a more coffin-like rig out of drywall plaster, air-dry clay, and Evergreen plasticard support arms, with accents made of chrome plated sprue. I also opted to go with a custom paint job on the car, all hand painted (no airbrush use at the time of this build).

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rommel's Rod -- The Desert Fox's Krazy Kommand Kar

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Here are the figures, under construction....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:20 pm

There is a driver's compartment, and a private compartment for the Desert Fox.....

And the Desert Fox himself! Note the Bling!!!

...and his Gat!

War is Hell...and one gets thirsty! The kit was equipped with a table for a little vino and chrome plated potato mashers!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 pm

But what is a mini-build log without digging into the weeds? Now that you've seen some highlights to hook you :D ....let's delve a little deeper into the early build stages. The Kommand Kar comes with a more traditional bonnet-type roof, but that wasn't in the spirit of Halloween! I kne i wanted to make the Kommand Kar more hearse-like.

I would start with interior details....The Krazy Kommander needs a rockin' seat, so time to plush up some leatha', as they say in Boston. First, a very wet coat of Folk Art Black, so that it sinks down into the nooks and crannies of the cushions. Then, I drybrushed some Folk Art "Teaddybear Brown" on; mixing a lighter shade and highlighting. It came out reasonably well.

I would touch up the floor later with a bit of spot painting for the overpaint, and to take down the brightness of the floor, which looks too aluminiuminuminimy; I would later use some chrome silver and black, mixed in a light wash......

You can see the bonnet folded on the rear of the vehicle.

Next, some details to the Krazy Kommander's compartment....first he has a table set up in the rig! Nice!!! Not a lot of detail to it actually, but it does have a nice woodgrain pattern on the table itself. The picture here, BTW, shows it with the Liquid Glue still a little wet, so fret not young Jedi's. Anyway, I planned on sculpting a field radio to put on it, along with some maps. And of course the wine bottle, too....it's dry being a skeleton!!!

Yeah, I did tone that floor down quite a bit after this shot, but the angle of the shot (and blue lights right above) still make a shine look brighter than it really is..... But I digress.....next, I added some Tamiya Semi-gloss Black to the ammo cans on the floor, but left the strap matte. And then after that, I put on the open ammo container on the floor at the rear. There will be a machinegun mounted in the rear bottom half of the Krazy Kommander's Kompartment (<----see what I did there??) I painted it gloss black, as the ammo cans, and then the bullets in Metallic Gold. OK, I pimped out the cans....what can I say, I thought they needed a little bling!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:02 pm

The bonnet got a major re-do...I had this plan to scratchbuild some cushier digs for the General. A man of his stature, even in the afterlife, still needs major Bling! Of the molded parts on this kit, to be honest, I thought right off the bat that the rolltop bonnet roof was kinda cheesey....looks amazingly fake, with it's asymmetrical crease lines in the corners, and the very simplistic sculpt. Soooooooooo, I spiced it up several notches with a custom top.

I also loved the 60's hot rods, like the Monkee Mobile and the Batmobile, with it's sharp corners and smooth lines. Remember I mentioned 'casket'? This is where that comes in......

First, I started with raising the sides. I started with a cool shape, cut into some sheet styrene, so that the rear of the vehicle roof will raise up in the manner of a pirate ship, as Rommel is cruising the Desert Seas!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 pm

The frame as then placed atop the Kommand Kar...

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 pm

OK, time for the roof! First, I mixed a soup of water and Elmer's White Glue. I used a coffee stirring stick to mix up the brew, and was then ready for the roofing material. I used paper rags....the kind you buy in the hardware box stores like Home Depot, used as shop towels basically. These towels are pretty strong, but still absorbent paper when you come right down to it. I figured it's be a decent enough material to try out! I cut individual pieces, dipped them in the glue mixture, rung out some of the liquid, and placed it on the model. I hit the spot with a hand dryer to firm it up, then spread a little more glue on the surface.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Then it was a matter of shaping the bonnet with spackle...some paint and a little more touch up until I was happy with the look! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:17 pm

And here's what it looks like pulled together with a final painting...a few coats of Folk Art Acrylics Black. The toughest part of this was trying to sand it in directions to give the shape and texture of a rough leather roof. I think it came out with a nice aged effect in texture.

I originally thought about using real leather, but figured that'd be just too difficult to maneuver. This method worked out quite well actually. The Spackle held up nice; was easy to form and then sand; and didn't add much weight to the rig at all. Forgoing a direct hit from some kids rattletoy, it should hold up very well.

Return to “Follow As I Build”