Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Postby Geek44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Sorry Em I was wrong. The Aerodrome site is still up but all threads are locked. I know this happened because of arguing on the forums but it strikes me as silly to lock the site. Why not just ban the idiots???
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Geek44 wrote:Sorry Em I was wrong. The Aerodrome site is still up but all threads are locked. I know this happened because of arguing on the forums but it strikes me as silly to lock the site. Why not just ban the idiots???

Agreed...seems like they had a Mod problem (or lack of it?)
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:53 am

So progress has been slow due to family events and father's day but today I got a little work done.

The seat back done with hairspray technique. Probably waited a bit long before stressing the black paint work...four or five days so the Tamiya acrylic was tough to break through with just a wet brush which usually works fine after 24 hours or so. I had to resort to my trusty old airbrush needle to get things going.

Have also given the wooden parts of the cockpit interior a coat of Tamiya acrylic Buff. This will serve as a base colour for subsequent wood treatments. Will be going for a light, honey colour. I hope :lol:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 pm

The seat looks awesome...good warning in the wait on scrubbing. I like that distressed look al lot, and adds so much more realism, to me. What's the soonest you've started the water scrubbing?

I'll be following the wood painting closely.....I love what you are able to accomplish in this realm!

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Usually wait around 24 hours before the water scrub. I also usually dilute my Tamiya acrylics with water (rather than isopropyl alcohol) when spraying over the hairspray layer. Didn't do that this time either.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:16 pm

That makes sense...I would imagine the watered down Tamiya must break down a little quicker?

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am

Yeah it does but its airbrushing characteristics are a little different too. I much prefer using Tamiya thinner than water to dilute it.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 am

Here's a bit of progress. It's been slower going than I'd hoped lately with life intervening and messing with my modelling plans. I did however get a little bit done.

The above two pics show my usual wood grain effect. It's a Tamiya acrylic base of Buff with Burnt Sienna, White and Raw Sienna oil paint wood grain kinda painted on by hand. All of that is allowed to dry for a day or two and then I've given it an orange oil glaze which is paint diluted with raw linseed oil applied with a brush, allowed to stay on the surface for ten to fifteen minutes and then wiped off. To be honest, I feel like this technique has worked better for me in 1/48 and depicting blonder woods or darker tones that might be found in German propeller laminations. This honey coloured wood has eluded me for the moment and I'm not that satisfied with it. I plan to press on regardless because I don't want this one aspect to hold me up...I can always build another Tripe but rest assured I will be working to improve. I've seen some incredible wood grain effects and if THEY can do that...so can I.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 am

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Geek44 wrote:... but rest assured I will be working to improve. I've seen some incredible wood grain effects and if THEY can do that...so can I.

Now that's the spirit, mate!!! :D Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Actually, though I know where you're coming from, I rather like that honey colored wood effect....and beautiful work there! I just watched a YouTube video on washes tonight and I could picture the orange wash :)

Return to “Follow As I Build”