Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Postby Geek44 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:03 am

Interruptions and breaks in stride. I finally got some work done on this model and despite the time it's taking...I'm REALLY enjoying it. Man what a challenge. As a first Wingnuts build I've already learned a heap and will approach my next one a little differently but this one was always going to be like that first pancake that never comes out quite right...to business.

Above is the cockpit floor. It has some bracing wires for the floor drawn on with a .05 lead pencil. All of the rigging you see is attached to the rudder bar and the control column. Didn't quite get the control column rig correct, the instructions have all the info you need but you really have to look to find it sometimes. Thorough study of the booklet is highly recommended. Then...

All of those wires need to be fed through the wooden panel at the back of the pilot's seat, there's a hole for each one. These are control wires and run back through the fuselage to move the rudder and elevators.

Above is the starboard side of the cockpit. Note the bracing wires with turnbuckles and the stretched sprue cables that control the angle of the tail-skid.

And two shots of the seat and starboard side cockpit in place held by spring tweezers.

With a better shot of the seat with the beautiful, kit-supplied PE waist belt. Tripes of the period (1917) had no shoulder straps even though they are supplied in the kit. The PE is a good thickness and easy to remove from the fret.
Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:10 am

And so the cockpit interior is now pretty much done...

Going to let all this dry for 24 hours and then hopefully I can get the fuselage closed up by mid-week. Once the seam has been eliminated the real fun can begin. I'm looking forward to painting this model.

Above is a shot of the engine at second stage. It's had a light spray of Tamiya Clear Yellow over the tops of the cylinders. Earlier I applied a dark, oil paint wash to this and it's toned the yellow right down which is pleasing. I plan to detail the engine just a little bit for fun. Luckily I have Jane's Guide To Aircraft of the First World War which has some excellent reference photos of many kinds of aero engines from most nations. Including the Le Rhône 110hp rotary used by the Tripe version I'm building. Having fun now...
Thanks for looking.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Holy cats!!!! I am learning so much from this build!!!

First of all, thank you....I feel so much better seeing your spaghetti cluster of wires, which you are handling marvelously! The first time I did that rigging on the Gotha, I thought my eyes would bleed trying to untangle the stuff! You've got a nice layout of the wires and I can see the method to your madness. I am beyond impressed, and I truly mean that. Killer work!

The wood...I'm on my desktop computer with the great screen, and HOLY CATS! I am seeing texture I'd never saw before, simply because of the old rustbucket laptop's screen. Corey was right...you are King of Wood!

This kit is shaping up very nice...enjoying it immensely.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:25 am

Thanks mate. It's great to see some activity here...about to add a little of my own.
So, things have progressed quite a bit further, mostly in leaps and bounds which is annoying. I like to get into a stride and chip away consistently but with this model it's been sporadic.
Got my cockpit module finished as you see and the next step was closing up the fuselage halves. Usually pretty straightforward but I have to confess I've made a total rookie error with this kit. While closing up the fuselage, the cockpit module slipped forward about .25mm :oops: . With the cabane struts included in the module (great engineering from Wingnut Wings, it ensures proper alignment), this means that they're now .25mm too far forward and will make attaching the upper plane a challenge. It's also affected the alignment and fit of the upper deck/cowling part which had to be cut and filed to fit, the firewall (not yet attached) and even the lower wing :o .
Silly me.
Anyway...I persevere. I'm hoping I can still produce a reasonable model if not a masterpiece now. Of course, as Murphy's Law dictates, the week after I closed up the fuselage and noticed my mistake, The Sopwith Triplane sold out. More on this later.

So anyway...work on the 110hp Clérget engine continues. I'm pretty pleased with this part of the model despite the fact that much of it won't be visible.

Above, back of the powerplant. Cylinder heads painted with Testors ModelMaster Buffable Aluminium Plate. Tamiya Clear Blue for heat patination, Tamiya Clear Yellow, Humbrol Copper and black oil paint washes. Note ignition wires added with stretched sprue. Considered trimming them to length where they join the engine but it'll be invisible. Will simply adjust the angle of the one that's at the 7.00 o'clock position.

Front of powerplant showing pushrods. Still needs black oil wash and general gimping up.

Above. Have decided to give the Uschi Van Der Rosten woodgrain decals another try on the 'Polished Plywood' cockpit coaming. I've sprayed the area with Gunze Radome Tan first, then cut the decal to shape before applying. Two things...
1. The Gunze paint is something I've never used before and it's beautiful to use. I'll be getting more of these and possibly even phasing out the Tamiya acrylics altogether. The Gunze colours are far more realistic. It sprays satin which is okay since I've finally worked out how to achieve a proper matt finish with Dullcote.
2. The woodgrain decal is available from here; http://www.uschivdr.com/
Can't recommend this guy's products highly enough. If you're on Facebook I recommend you follow him. A pleasure to deal with, sorts out problems fast and well, the guy is all class and sells only excellent stuff...and his models are on a completely different level.
So...to use them I cut out a piece of an old product known as 'Frisket' which is a clear (like tracing paper), self-adhesive sheet usually used as a mask by airbrush illustrators. You stick this to the part you wish to decal and then trace around the part with a ballpoint pen of felt-tip. Remove the Frisket (masking tape works ok too...check out the Uschi site...he has tutorials). Stick the Frisket onto the decal sheet and then cut along your felt-tip line. Once done, gently peel the Frisket off the decal and then apply the decal as usual.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:43 am

Later I will apply a clear gloss over the decal and the colour it with an oil paint glaze to make it look more 'woody'.
Almost to the point now where I'll be doing the main paintjob which is the part I like best. With these birds made of wood and linen, some parts of the aircraft are transluscent and you can actually see the internal structure through the outer skin. This is one of the big challenges (besides the rendition of convincing wood, leather and rigging :D ) of these models. Having practiced a bit on smaller scale kits I think I have a pretty good method which I'll outline step by step.
Since Christmas has just passed (got a great book on the Gallipoli Campaign) I thought I'd shout myself a little pressie.

Got this little volume for $70.00 Aussie at 'The Book Depository' and it arrived about a week after Christmas Day from the UK.
60% of the book is photos of aircraft of all types, 12 pics per page, 24 pics per spread with the other 40% being computer illustrated profiles of individual aircraft. The profiles are 'okay'...not masterpieces like the work of Ronny Bar by any means but still good enough to model by.

A note as mentioned earlier about Wingnut Wings.
About five years ago when I first started looking at Wingnuts website http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/ they had around 20 or 25 kits available. Now they have no fewer than 49 kits plus alternative decal sheets for many of them, lozenge decals and rib tapes of various colours for some of the German aircraft and 'Duellist' sets that include two models, one German and one Allied in one box. Since then I know of at least two kits that are no longer available through the Wingnuts site because they have 'Sold Out'. The same is true of some of the alternative decal sheets...no longer available. One of these kits, the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 sold out very early. At $89.00 Aussie not a bad buy. Last I heard, these kits were selling on eBay for over $200.00 Aussie now. I've personally been offered $100.00 for one of the discontinued Albatros D.V decal sets (no way!!).
This disappoints me. I have no idea why Wingnuts has discontinued good sellers and I wish they wouldn't. I have my eyes on one of these monsters http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3115 and at $269.00 Aussie it's a big investment. I know from my travels around the Wingnuts fan site on Facebook that this and the late Felix are selling like hotcakes...I don't want to miss out. And yes, my flawed Triplane is no longer available...and I know many of them are sitting in stashes of hundreds of kits, possibly never to be built. :(
Seems a shame to me.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:35 am

Here's what came next.
The cockpit upper deck with Uschi van der Rosten woodgrain decals.

A selection of wood coloured oil paints. In this case from left; Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Ochre and Burnt Ochre.

Dots more or less equally distributed.

A pass with a flat brush...in this case about half an inch wide.

I've let this dry now for about four days. I'll probably let it go for longer and maybe do another pass with lighter oils. Not 100% happy with the result but I may learn to live with it too.

Oh...and here's a little something I picked up for a song on eBay.

About five years ago I was at the ModelExpo in Melbourne when I picked up the Aires detail set. It's been sitting in my stash for that long. Recently while cruising eBay I found the 109G-6 kit for thirty bucks Aussie! Hard to resist.
The decal options in the kit are for Erich Hartmann as seen on the cover and Gerhard Barkhorn (second highest scoring German ace).
I pretty much NEVER build kits that represent famous pilots like Hartmann or The Red Baron so I've contacted my friendly aftermarket decal seller and asked what he's got in stock for either German or Finnish G-6s. He says he has plenty but he's on holidays until the 19th. Since my heritage is Finnish...guess which way I'm leaning?
Cheers all.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I love the wood effect, that woodgrain decal looked good but with the paint added is just brilliant, the blended colour dot idea just makes the whole thing really pop.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 am

And it's a really simple technique as well which is why I love it.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 pm

OMG! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! That was freakin' AMAZING! I was looking at thos little dots of color and honestly mate, thinking 'What the hell??!!??" Then I saw the blend and about fell on the floor! I've heard you talk about this; and even try to explain it to me....but it wasn't until I saw those two pics that it hit me like a swingin' gorilla! OMG!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:35 am

Cheers guys. It's a great technique and as simple as falling off a log. The only thing to think about really is which colours to use. The technique also lends itself really well to armour modelling...any modelling really. It works especially well on single-colour models as a way to vary the monotonous tone and you can use all manner of colours. It's really subtle and you'll see more of it on this build used different ways.

And so... there's been quite a bit of progress on this model now. I haven't been posting because I've had stuff on my plate real-life wise but it's all cool now. I masked off the aluminium cowling section with Tamiya tape. Painted the small areas on the leading edges of the top and bottom wings that will be visible through the small inspection windows that show cable runs for control surfaces...bought a great magnifying headset for that...getting close to fifty now and finding the old eyes not what they once were. Masked the transparent parts covering those runs with old fashioned Bare Metal Foil.
Bare Metal Foil is by far the best thing I've found for masking transparent parts and canopies on aircraft models. It's a trick I picked up reading old modelling books by the great François Verlinden...a one-time modelling hero of mine.
I've sprayed the bottom surfaces with Humbrol 108 which is a pretty good Clear Doped Linen (CDL) colour but this is the last time I'll ever spray Humbrol paint...brain damage.

Masked off the lower surfaces and painted the top surfaces with a mix of Tamiya 'NATO Green' with enough red added to take it right to the edge between still being green and starting to be brown...this is a good PC-10 (Protective Covering Number 10) colour. PC-10 is that classic British WW1 aircraft colour that looks like dark green/brown. PC-12 is a later version and is chocolate brown.

Return to “Follow As I Build”