Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Postby Frank » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 am

Incredible wood effect.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks guys.
Did some more tonight. Pics really soon.
Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am

Slow going on this kit so far with all the oil paint I'm using on interior details. Drying times are really bogging me down but I've managed to get some more done. I've added some rigging anchor points to the control column...

Comes back to the fact that the cockpit interior has rigging both for structure and control lines.

Also done some more work on what I hope is improving my wood effects. I'm happier with the colour now but it's been a slow and experimental process.

And finally the side walls of the cockpit.

Note that it's woodwork over a clear doped linen (CDL) surface. I've tried to be subtle with the linen colour here. It's enamel paint too so I'll need to let that dry for a week or so before I add a wash or two.
Sorry I've been so slow. I've had sick kids (not serious), sick me (also not serious) and other commitments to attend to lately. I'm also getting ready for an interstate holiday in a week or so. While I'll miss the bench it'll be good to let everything dry for ten days or so while we're away up North. Hopefully when we get back I can stop pottering and get my teeth into it properly. I'd like to finish before Christmas :?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Simply lovely stuff there, bro....I am in awe of your wood grain skills; and the thought you pose of 'getting better' blows my mind, as you've attained a level I already think superior. Truly.

And no worries on the timing, as we are all known as being so relaxed and laid back around here, we need to keep an eyeball in the back of the head in case the Undertaker pops by!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Cheers mate.
http://www.ipmsnymburk.com/vanous/DH%20 ... index.html

Check out this baby. I think it's 1/48!!

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:09 am

Finally got some work done after an interstate trip, sick kids and other small issues...

Starboard cabane strut showing manufacturers's mark (cartograph decal) and detail added to Rothersham fuel pump. Pump has a small prop that spins due to main prop-wash to power it.

Lovely, if a little basic, instrument panel showing poorly applied dial decals (my bad).

Work started on 110hp Clérget engine showing metal patination due to heat around the cylinder bases. This colour will be toned down quite a bit with subsequent weathering. I remember reading somewhere that you should never allow other modellers to do your research because they're notoriously bad at getting things right but I've bought the first two copies of a Spanish modelling mag from AK Interactive and one features WW1 birds exclusively. There's a beautifully done engine on one of the models so I'm seeing if I can approximate what's in the magazine.
Colour is Testors Buffable Aluminium Plate applied with an airbrush with a coat of Tamiya Clear Blue around the bases of the cylinders.
Hoping to get the cockpit done and fuselage closed up within the next ten days or so...

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Great explanation on the cylinders...awesome work; as is the wood and dials of the control panel. I've not used buffable aluminum yet, but I have a Mustang waiting for a treatment in the future!

An interesting point is the research, and I like the, '....you should never allow other Modeler's to do your research...' bit, BTW:

An unexpected part of getting back into modeling for me was the research that goes into being proficient Modeler. It became immediately apparent with my first build on re-entry to the craft, but it has become so much an amazing experience for me, in that I have become more knowledgeable as a history fan and wargamer through that research!

Anyway, great progress.....keep it coming!!!

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:59 am

Things changed for me when I started looking into what I was building a bit more. I think knowing exactly how your subject worked, what the doo-hickies are for, why the thingummybobs are there and what that thingummyjig does really helps with both accuracy and realism.
Started work trying to rig the interior tonight. I know it's going to go fine but I'm lacking a crucial tool. I've recently ordered a set of drill bits all smaller than 1mm in diameter. I need the 0.3 one right now to clean out the interior holes of the 2.5mm lengths of brass tube that I've cut to use as turnbuckles. As it is I can thread my EZ Line through it one time but looping it back to go through twice is impossible with a rough cut.
I've also ordered a magnifier visor with an extra magnifying monocle...I'm officially and old bugger. This is my first serious magnification and I'm working in 1/32!!
I tried out some new paint too. I was pretty skeptical about Revell's 'Email' paint. It's enamel and to be honest, I thought it was Humbrol. The one I used was a metallic copper and I've used it on the exhaust pipes on the back of the Clérget rotary. Open the tin and it's like the old, traditional metallic stuff...grainy and streaky. Tried it anyway and the result is pretty good. Uniform, true copper colour. Might hit it with a thin coat of Tamiya clear green just to see how it 'oxidizes' up. Pics soon.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 am

Slow going I know but here's some work.
Started to rig the interior. It's not too bad but there are some bracing wires as seen in this photo, and some control wires from the rudder-bar and control column which I haven't started yet.
My first problem was how to cut my brass tube turnbuckles to a uniform length. In the end I made a handy little jig out of hard wood and a piece of copper wire. Probably should have taken a photo of that now that I think of it...will do that next day or so.
Most people cut their rod with a scalpel blade (!) but I found that squashed the rod at the cut so I ended up using my trusty jeweller's saw. The wire blades have teeth that cut on the down stroke but I'm cutting the tube with the 'up' stroke because it's gentler and the blade doesn't jam after getting through the surface to the point that you're cutting through the hole and two 'walls' of brass...if you see what I mean.
Using Wingnuts 'EZ Line' which is fine, elastic and very floppy...which is good. The simplest rigging method is this...

...hence the little wire eyelets I attached much earlier. This is possiblt the most fiddly thing I've ever attempted and because of this I've ordered a set of > 1mm drill bits and some decent magnification. Until that arrives I'm using my father's old eyepiece (he was a jeweller...I've inherited his beautiful and perfect for modelling tools), two pairs of spring tweezers and one pair of standard tweezers to get this...

...had more done but some of it came loose because I didn't wait long enough for my glue to dry :x .
Maybe tedious but I'm enjoying the fact that this is a new process for me and it's working out pretty well. This is some stuff that I've learned from some incredibly skilled modellers who I've met and made friends with over the net over the last three years or so. Guys who's work I aspire to emulate if I can and...guys who are humble enough to be supportive and helpful to someone hoping to learn.
This WW1 aviation trip is for me...the final frontier. I don't think it gets much more challenging.
Thanks for checking it out.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Oh MAN....you've got the patience of Jobe and the steady fingers of a surgeon! I'm watching your rigging closely as always, and learning a great deal already. And I swear, you are the King of Turnbuckles!

Return to “Follow As I Build”