Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sopwith Triplane in 1/32 by Wingnut Wings

Postby Geek44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I guess the upshot of all this is that the model is now mysteriously finished.
At the point these pics were taken about ten days ago, all that's left to do is attach the propeller. The prop was painted with a base coat of acrylic dunkelgelb...the same colour I use on German WW2 armour. Then a good coat of Alclad II clear gloss. I use that because it can be sprayed straight from the bottle without thinning AND can be used as a transparency dip...like Future. I then painted the wood grain with oil paint using the dot method I used on the upper cockpit decking previously...

Here it is then...

Today the light is good outside so I can take a couple of shots of this bird with the prop in place.
Easily the most challenging build I've ever attempted and the result has increased my confidence in my own abilities which is great. There was a moment early when I thought I'd ruined the model and since this kit is now discontinued (I HATE the way Wingnuts do this) that would have been painful because I adore this type...easily my favourite Allied WW1 type. I wish I had a couple more. The only alternative is a kit by Roden which are hard-work kits to say the least.
The model depicts an aircraft supplied to the French 'Centre d'Aviation Maritime' based at Dunkirk in 1917. The French considered these aircraft to be fragile (compared to their own SPAD VII and XIII they were) and 'Number 4' was written off in a non-fatal crash.
Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

The aircraft in the video was damaged in a landing accident last year. They are repairing it thankfully and nobody was injured.

Two days after completeing the Tripe, I started on a new project. Thread to follow soon.
Thanks for looking.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:29 pm

OMG, what a beauty, my friend....un-believably gorgeous! You should be so proud of yourself! :D

Frankly, it's kinda hard for me to fathom that you needed a confidence booster, as I truly marvel at your skills...but we all continually learn and grow so, I get it.

The rigging is insane, mate....love it. I need to up my game and you're method and result is one I would like to emulate. The ribbing contrast of hues and shadows is brilliant. The oil stains on the cowling is perfect. The wood grain....my God...no words, mate....fan-f'n-tastic!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am

If you look back on the few builds I've done over the past five years or so (yep...we've pretty much known each other that long by now) you'll find that about half have been 1/48 WW1 aircraft kits. In fact my first serious one was for the second Group Build I participated in at ACG, that's maybe 2006...the Roden 1/48 S.E. 5a...which I still have. Terrible build...naive and childish but my point is that I've spent some years learning how to do WW1 aircraft. This build has merely been the best quality kit in that genre that I've attempted AND it's larger scale too which to my mind can go two ways. If the kit is average, larger scale can be bad because there's often a lack of obvious detail and cockpit interiors can look sparse. If, as in this case, the kit is high quality, often that missing detail is NOT missing and enough is provided so that most builders can construct a fairly convincing cockpit interior with what's in the box.
WW1 kits are different in that the aircraft were made of many different materials which of course need to be simulated and then weathered convincingly. Then of course there's the rigging which scares the heck out of most modellers but it shouldn't. I haven't done anything here that anyone with basic motor skills couldn't do. It's not difficult by any means...just a little fiddly and perhaps tedious but I think I managed to rig the entire exterior of the model in the same time it took to rig the cockpit interior...I got quicker. I needed I can do a simple tutorial to show how it's done. The brass tube is pretty easily sourced as is the thread. Anyhoo...here she is with the prop on.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Sweet! That pic completes her nicely!

I figure we've known each other since 2007, if my memory serves! ...at least a good 8 years. I remember you being one of my first friends at ACG....and then I think I went over to WWIIZ bout 2008? ...where you'd moved on to.

Anyhow, LOL......yes, I'd personally love to see a tutorial on your rigging method and materials used. I have WWI planes figured prominently in my future so, this is a skill I'd like to build on. You are 100% right about folks needn't be afraid of rigging; it's fiddly and tedious in itself, but sooooooo rewarding at completion!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Follow As I Build”