Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hasegawa Junkers Ju87D-8 Stuka in 1/32

Postby Geek44 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 am

Greetings all.
When I was a kid, my mother had this rather unconventional idea that for Easter, instead of tooth-rotting chocolate (which I could, and did, have any time) I would get the 'book of my choice' from the local bookshop...no matter the size, price or subject matter. Mum was very encouraging of not only my reading, but also my interests. This policy in place, I got some spectacular reference books that I've kept to this day. One of the first was; 'Combat Aircraft of World War Two' by Elke C. and John A. Weal in 1977. Book contains approximately 120 colour plates rendered before the digital age of some of the more unusual variants or operators of the aircraft we've come to know so well. The rest is black and white line-drawings of any WW2 aircraft you'd care to mention and then some with lists of statistics, variants, weights, sizes, spans, operators etc...in short, it's a ripper.
As a ten year old aviation enthusiast, I was always quite taken by the colour picture of the Stuka. This was listed as a D-7 version but it had the most wonderful camouflage scheme...like only the Luftwaffe can do (well...maybe the Regia Aeronautica as well). Over the conventional two tone green splinter camouflage is a beautiful, light-blue squiggle pattern known as 'Wellenmüster' or 'Mirror Wave'. It also has extended wingtips...

This and the P-61 in the book (more on that later ;) ) have always been my favourites.
Fast forward about thirty years and I'm browsing in a model shop and I see this aircraft depicted in 1/32 by Hasegawa...so what's a man to do?
I bought it.
This is the instruction sheet cover art...

I've had this in the stash for a very long time now and thought it was time to turn it over. Opening the box I remember a few issues.
The kit came with crew figures. Usually I dislike crew figures because they always look like afterthoughts...poorly moulded and terrible poses. So I sent them to a friend who lives in Pennsylvania. Cracking the box now I wish I hadn't. The detail in what could be a spectacular kit is to my mind, somewhat lacking. I toyed briefly with the idea of an Aires detail set to jazz it up a bit but I started this before Christmas and didn't feel like paying for a set that cost more than the kit in this particular instance. So one we go...
Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hasegawa Junkers Ju87D-8 Stuka in 1/32

Postby Geek44 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:24 am

The kit is, as I said, basic. The cockpit interior is only around twenty parts give or take. I made my usual set of Tamiya Tape seat harnesses...probably not accurately patterned but hey...this is a quick build and the real star will be the paint job (if I can pull it off :shock: ).
I tried a new trick on this and I think it mostly worked okay...

I used a kind of waxy, silver pencil to add chips on this. I think it works okay if you use the side of the 'lead' but the tip goes blunt very fast so making 'scratches' isn't so easy. Here's a shot of one of the cockpit walls...

I'm happy enough with this. If I had better references I'd do some wiring and plumbing but part of me wishes I hadn't started this one and had sold or swapped it instead so I'm keeping it simple.

Shot of the rear-gunner's position. Those are decals on that 'dial thingy'. Hasegawa make interesting (read; 'odd') use of decals with this kit. They provide decals in RLM Black-Grey to simulate the inside of the cockpit frames expecting you to apply fine slivers of decal to the inside of your clear parts...I don't think so Hasegawa. Note also the poorly filled (by me) ejector-pin hole in the back of the pilot's head-armour :oops: .

The fit of this kit has been fairly good. The photos don't really show where I'm at yet and I'm quite well into the build with fuselage halves together and wing halves together. I've started sanding and removing seams. Fit on those beautiful wheel spats was pretty good and took only minr sanding to remove the seams...maybe a dab here and there of trusty old Milliput but not much. Sanding bombs and wing leading edges...should be finished with all that today or tomorrow. The problems arise where it becomes obvious that Hasegawa does other versions of this aircraft and some of the sprues are common to those and this version. The lengthened wing span mentioned earlier comes as four halves of two wing-tips. The halves go together almost seamlessly but mounting the tips onto the wings looks awful to be honest. I'm not sure what to do there...I'll get back to you on that.
So...a mixed bag of great and not-so-great features. The mainwheels are designed so that you can assemble the spats and remove the seams and also assemble the wheels themselves and remove the seams. The wheels just drop into place once spats and wheels are pained and weathered...smart thinking Hasegawa.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Interesting kit....and I share your experience with opening a kit and thinking why did I do this? Never thought of trading them...hmmmm?

The 'simulate the inside of the cockpit frames expecting you to apply fine slivers of decal to the inside of your clear parts' blows me away, as I always thought of Hasegawa as a top-of-the-line... No real basis in that assumption other than the resultant kits I've seen built; and Phantom I built (the only kit I've ever owned my Hasegawa).

Spats. Man...something about those things....my hand always starts to shake a tad when attaching those when they are oprn :lol:

On the plus side, a kit that needs a lot of TLC and creative 'help' offers wonderful challenge!!! Can't wait to see what you do with this!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Made this a separate post: I've always admired your seat harness work! I've tried to mimic it with painter's tape (the blue stuff), to varied success...and I bought some Tamiya Tape at the last show so, I can't wait to bust it open and see what the rave is about (afterall...you got me into that water-like cemet stuff, LOL!!!)

But what REALLY blow's my mind is your fashioning the buckles! I'm not so sure that isn't on the same level of rigging, in teeth biting complexity, in my mind!!! :D Perhaps next time you do some, you can do a thread in the tips & help section?

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am

Sure mate...the harnesses are simple stuff. Just a trick or two...nothing anybody can't do easily enough.

For as long as we've known each other Whitey I've only ever built 1/48 aircraft kits and or those, many have been Hasegawa kits. The only time I've ever run into any problems with their kits is if I've cracked open a 1/72 or a 1/32 kit. Some of their 1/72 kits are getting on a bit in years now and their moulds are getting slack. But this one has me flummoxed. It has so much potential that is pretty much unmet. I also see evidence of what I usually refer to as 'mindless busywork'. This is the deliberate engineering of the kit to make simple things more complex so that there appears to be more 'modelling' to do. I don't really mind this so much...I could have sprung for a detail set and I suspect it's probably a pretty good bed for some PE and resin cockpit wise. Would take some major surgery to get the engine exposed though. It's a basic kit despite its size sadly. I guess I'm just used to more because really...I'm spoiled rotten for great kits.
Don't let this put you off Hasegawa by any means. I still have several of their kits in my stash...some of which (P-38J/L) are your best bet in my opinion. I have a Verlinden update set (the works) to fit into that little gem when the time comes.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Not put off on Hasegawa in the slightest...I realize every maker has strengths and weaknesses; good and bad. Same in the Wargaming biz, actually 8-)

Return to “Follow As I Build”