ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach"

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach"

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Today, glued the flag in place, using Elmer's Wood Glue (has a stronger bond than wood white glue). Then, the Jerry cans were glued in place...using model glue where plastic meets plastic; and superglue where plastic meets flag :D

Will let dry. Next up, let it snow!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 pm

OK...everything dried nice. Applied snow to the fuel drums, Jerry cans, and flag...and a couple areas to add to the drift in the bed....

I tried spraying a 4/1 mixture of Future to Tamiya Flat Base, and it wouldn't even go through the airbrush (my Eclipse and my Badger). I may need to go back to old methods for topcoat.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:51 pm

So I managed to get the airbrushes working tonight...no fault of the airbrushes actually; but rather...I'd forgotten the pull back on the duel action (Doooooh), which is why there was no spray (Dah); and the single action badger had never been used before and required adjustments pryor to actual use.

I actually used the single action Badger airbrush to spray on the 4/1 Future to Tamiya Flat Base, which went on a charm!!! No nasty lacquer smell, and much safer for the family to breath if accidentally too close. I still sprayed into the spray booth....

...and I feel much better with what little that escapes the booth's suction and hence am thrown' in the air!

I checked on the Snow Coach after awhile and it's so much better a seal topcoat than anything I've used before. I'm very pleased thusfar and am set to stick with this mixture.

The Badger is bottom fed, so after spraying, I could cap the jar and it's ready for the next model! The single action is not as well made as the Iwata...not is the performance at the same standard, but it's OK. As a final coat solution, it's a ripper (as Nick would say!).

So......as it stands, the kit is done. I'll snap some pics when the weather isn't dark and gloomy, and I can get some decent shots. That will likely finish this thread. The only possible thing I could add is a simple dio base, but I'm not sure I want to go that far yet.

Stay tuned for final shots :D

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 am

Nice mate. Looks great.
My very first airbrush was a single-action Badger. They're great tools.
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 pm

The Badger was like a Chevy....simple and dependable. The Iwata is like a Lamborghini....sleek and orgasmic :lol:

Thanks on the comments :D I took off the tape from the windows last night...came off just fine...LOVE Tamiya tape (it was my first use of the stuff).

The sealer is awesome....best I've used. That is now my Go-To topcoat.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 am

Tamiya Tape is awesome mate and these days I buy it two rolls at a time.
The only thing I've found that's better to mask transparencies is Testors Bare-Metal-Foil. It's a trick I picked up from reading how-to books by Francois Verlinden. Tried it twice now...never going back to Maskol liquid mask. Excellent for aircraft canopies.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I read a good one today for complex camo: Use BluTac (as you've mentioned in the past), but then sandwich bag plastic ontop, and cut down the middle of the BluTac to trim the excess.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:54 am

I used a similar technique on my little (now destroyed sadly) Fokker Dr. 1 Triplane except I used Tamiya tape and cling film. (We call it 'Glad Wrap' because it's made by a company called 'Glad'). Worked like a charm. The Blu-Tac method is also good but you need to take care that you don't get a 'double-edge' effect. This occurs when atomised paint bounces off the raised surface of the blu-tac and is reflected back onto the surface of the model. The effect is to get a kind of ghost edge just behind the edge you've masked with the blu-tac.

In the photo above, look at the left edge of the green area on the nose that has the '07' decal on it. You'll see the ghost edge just toward the nose from where the colour demarkation is...this is what I mean.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 pm

OK, as promised, some final pics....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Might still do a simple diorama base for it. Also thinking I might frost/snow up the windows a little.

Return to “Follow As I Build”