ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach"

Member's Modeling Build Logs

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach"

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm

My current project is a ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach" . I finally recaptured most of my workshop area (well, the top of the workbench anyway) and re-started this old project which had sat in cobwebs for the better part of last year!

It's a rather old 1/35 FORT kit which I had bought at an estate sale many moons ago....

DSC03592.jpg~c200.jpeg
DSC03592.jpg~c200.jpeg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 184 times

DSC03593.jpg~c200.jpeg
DSC03593.jpg~c200.jpeg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Produced 1942-1944, the ZIS-42's main function was to trail heavy guns and provide transportation of various cargoes in areas without roads. I love the utilitarian look of this little vehicle and it screams 'rough going' on snowy and swampy roads, to me.

The kit looks old as the hills, too! ....and there are a TON of pin marks. Gonna be an interesting build, though I am curious to see what I can do with this kit....it looks to test one's patience!!! We will see!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ZIS-42 Russian "Snow Coach"

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:01 pm

When started over a year ago as of this writing, it was shear and utter horror at opening the box and witnessing firsthand, all the sink and pin marks! I saw immediately that this kit was going to try my patience...perhaps another reason it say for a year+?

The front end springs REALLY showed me I was in for it with squadron Putty!

The rear end, and these springs were a real pain, as it was all eye line-up, I can tell already this kit is not going to have many (if any!) guide marks......

Rear hitch of some sort...

These little triangular bits all had to be build; these did not come pre-molded on the kit....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:23 pm

The engine compartment and radiator had no reference pin marks, and was all dry-fitting and guesswork.....

The sink marks on this kit are horrible and this shows the first of many instances of the use of Squadron Putty to fix this issue....

As you will see on he left of the following picture, the seat is very 'blah' (and I suspect I'll have an even bigger version of the problem when I get to the truck bed canopy)...

So I did some weathering with white-glue-soaked tissue to bring some life to the seat and back cushions. Remember, you will only be able to see them through plastic windows, so I am going for general effect rather than art....

The shot above all looks rather crude at that stage, and would get some paint and then sanding and touch up. I want a look of fabric that's been climbed over countless times by thick uniforms and equipment.

The interior of the cab has a base coat of Folk Art Olive Green craft acrylics, and Teddybear Brown dry-brushed seat cushions. The steering and shifting components have yet to be painted, and the interior will get some more paint work...

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Next was the assembly of the cab after final interior painting, and attaching to the sub-frame undercarriage....

Oh, and hey, those are new sprue cutters!!! ...and actual sprue cutters, and not beading wire cutters! I splurged on myself :lol:

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 am

Looks great mate. Love the clunky, Soviet feel of the old girl...like she runs on birch bark and was designed in 1932.
Is that cab made of wood?
If you decide to go with a whitewash let me know...it's easier than you'd think.
Peace.
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Geek44 wrote:Looks great mate. Love the clunky, Soviet feel of the old girl...like she runs on birch bark and was designed in 1932.

That's what attracted me to the kit when I saw it lying abandoned and alone in the corner of a billion kits at the estate sale; that '...clunky, Soviet feel' spoke to me and I had to have her! Maybe I should have looked into those old Soviet mail-order brides ads way back when??? :lol:

Geek44 wrote:Is that cab made of wood?

Well, on the real-life version, yes; on the model, not so much. FORT tried to give the impression but what you see is enhanced scribing from my trusty new AK-Interactive scribing tool I bought at this past years' IPMS show I entered some models in. Dangerous-ass weapon, mate...sharpest tool I've ever used. My Fine Art degree included sculpture classes, and then I taught night school at a local college back in the 80's...so I know my way around sculpting a tad :D

Geek44 wrote:If you decide to go with a whitewash let me know...it's easier than you'd think.
Peace.

You bet I will!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Little more work on the Snow Coach during vacation today. Had to head out for a few supplies at the grocers and figure I had an hour before leaving so I put it to good use! First up, an exhaust pipe. The darned thing had a hole in the muffler the size of a grapefruit (scale-wise), and even though it is under the truck, and mounted with the majority of the hole hidden from immediate view, I couldn't let it go untouched so...out came Nick's nemesis: Squadron Putty!

As Nick mentioned earlier on another thread, The stuff goes on like dry toothpaste, so not the easiest to deal with....but I usually don't use a art knife (flexible knife/trowel-like utensil), but rather squeeze out a little on my fingertip and smooth it on in place. This is the same way I use Spackle on walls, BTW :lol: ...and fear not on the toxicity against the skin, as I wear my trademark green Martian Rubber Gloves at all times modeling, so there is some protection. The stuff sands down easily, even after less than a minute dry-time.

Since I plan to make this Snow Coach muddy and snowy (especially on the bottom), I am no too concerned with minor blemishes and ejector-pin holes not totally cleaned to perfection. so, now placed on the underside of the model, in place....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm

And speaking of ejector-pin holes, this bad boy is COVERED IN THEM!!!!!! :x Here's an example of one (bottom left) on a back-bed side panel, and these panels each had at least 6 of the little bastards...

You may be able to note the impression of a couple to the top and sides of the existing one on the picture above. I hadn't quite completed finishing up the side panel when I realized a picture might be useful to illustrate what I am babbling and rambling on incessantly about :lol:

Generally, my method is to use an X-Acto craft box knife, scraping with the blade sideways to shave down the area with the ejector-pin mark; and then sand with fine modeling sandpaper for a smooth finish. To take care of these panel one in particular, I was faced with them being on some fairly light detailed areas, of which I didn't want to loose too much of that detail with what in effect are big sanding swaths so, I did use the scraping method just mentioned, but then scraped up the 'boards' of the panels to simulate gouges made from the rough material often hauled with many of these beasts in the back woods country.

So after cleaning up all the areas I wanted, I started assembly of the rear bed. The instructions were horrible and it took a little dryfitting to get where the proper alignment was. Doesn't sound difficult n what should be a fairly simple series of gluing edges, but it's often the simple ones that confuse you the most!

The back gate has a neat, built on unit for what I believe will be a hydraulic pump for raising the vehicle...but might have also have been used as a foothold by the soldiers. I was just glad I didn't have to build it from teenie-tiny parts!

And the rear gate had some simple, but quite welcome (esthetics-wise) supports for gate alignment on closure....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:05 pm

As time wound down before having to step out of the house, I tackled one last element, which was the snowguard (at least, I think that's what this is?) under the engine block. Again...horrible instructions with the piece hovering in mid air and sloppy arrows point the way to where it would land. After futzing with it a bit, pre-gluing, I realized the hole in the plate guard was for access to the engine oil spigget-cappy-thingie (yes, that is what it's called!!!), so on it went.

She's coming along slowly! More soon.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 am

Mate...that bed of wood. My mouth is almost watering in anticipation there. Looking great so far...very tidy building.
Every part a masterpiece.

Return to “Follow As I Build”