IDF and SPLF raid Juba in Sudan, 1992

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

IDF and SPLF raid Juba in Sudan, 1992

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:42 pm

I wanted to try a game of Able Archer using mostly infantry to see how those rules handle it. At the same time, I'd been itching to play another urban game on the platoon scale. So I made just a few modifications to the rules. Able Archer handles whole companies, but it was easy to adjust it for an infantry platoon game.

I picked a spot in Africa that led me to learn some history about the Second Sudanese Civil War. I created a scenario set in June 1992, in the government section of the major city of Juba, which would later become the capital of South Sudan. I learned that Israel played a major part in this war, supplying weapons to the rebel SPLF faction. I asked what it might have been like if Israel had contributed more than just weapons. What if they'd contributed IDF units, too?

Juba was walled off, figuratively speaking, from the rest of the country for a part of the war. The SPLF sent rebels into the city to try and free it. As I understand it, rebels invaded one of the major government buildings, but their expected reinforcements didn't show up, and the mission was a loss.

So I decided to have these rebels led by an IDF squad with technicals hidden in the city for their use. The idea was to have them get from one end of the table to the target building at the other end relatively easily, so I could learn the rules, and then make things harder for them once they got there. It didn't quite turn out that way, though.

Juba_01_setup_small.png
IDF and SPLF in the bottom left; army squads in green; target building at top right.

The IDF lead squad was supported by three squads of rebels, two of which were trained by the IDF but not the third. All four army squads were well trained but not veterans like the IDF. The two technicals could only carry one total squad, and I sent the IDF squad to their hiding place while the Sudanese rebels supported them and drew away fire.

The army moved quickly and engaged the rebels before they had gotten very far. By this time the IDF squad was very close to the technicals.

Juba_03_end turn 2_Page_1.png
IDF nearing the technicals on the left end while rebels engage the army squads.

But then the army squads had difficulty closing in due to lack of cover.

Juba_04_end turn 3_Page_1.png

With boldness and a lot of luck, the army squads managed to get in close and take first blood. This was the end of turn 4.

Juba_05_end turn 4_Page_1.png
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: IDF and SPLF raid Juba in Sudan, 1992

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:50 pm

The army lost a team in turn 5 but managed to suppress the rebels. Meanwhile, the technicals were on their way to the target building on the other end.

Juba_06_end turn 5_Page_1.png
Technicals on the move at top left.

All the rebels were suppressed by the end of turn 6, and then some great dice rolling allowed the lead army team to destroy one of the technicals by firing an RPG up an alley as the trucks moved full speed toward the other end. Able Archer has no DRM related to vehicle speed, unfortunately. A very unlikely kill, but totally by the rules.

Juba_07_end turn 6_Page_1.png

The rebels never crossed the center of the table. The Israelis were unable to unload the surviving truck at the target building before the RPG soldier fired again and destroyed it. So my easy move across the table turned out to be not easy at all. It's just as well, since I had very little thoughts for what would happen if they had. Very fun game, though. I find these rules to be rather elegant, and I expect to use them for a while.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Modern Era”