Modern Battle Dice

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Modern Battle Dice

Postby josta59 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

This is my second AAR of the day playing Warp Spawn's Battle Dice. See here for my first one, in a fantasy setting: http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1653&sid=ff63f4a78359ba4bd8d3ebb3ead7977f

I tweaked the language of the rules to make it a modern game. I like how you can quickly set up two different platoons against each other, and no matter what you imagine you know it will be balanced. I envisioned an Iraq or Afghanistan type of scenario and played as Americans vs insurgents.

I chose for myself 2 SLs, 4 infantry, 3 artillery, 4 maneuvers (originally cavalry), 4 advantages (originally mages), and 3 assets (originally monsters). My assets were an AFV (originally a dragon), close air support (originally a vampire), and a war veteran (originally some dwarf lord or something).

For the enemy, I chose 1 SL, 7 infantry, no artillery, 2 maneuvers, 4 advantages, and 6 assets. The assets were 2 local warlords, a hero, a forward observer, a war vet, and intel (formerly Medusa).

This one went really fast.

Turn 1

I rolled one die for every unit. The enemy destroyed one of my assets; I chose the vet. They got asset points for their warlord and their hero. The warlord rolled command and gained a tactics point for his side. The hero rolled berserker rage, so 3 of my units would be destroyed during melee.

My SLs got a tactics point and rolled direct fire so that my artillery would be more precise. The enemy used their tactics point from the warlord and rolled leadership, giving them increased morale.

I got an advantage point, but the enemy got 2, negating mine. They rolled up a medic, but he had no clients yet.

The enemy got 2 maneuver points, but both results were encircle. I figured they can't encircle me twice, so I counted it as once. My morale decreased, and the enemy gained a maneuver point for the next turn.

My artillery got a hit, and I rolled for what I destroyed. It was the enemy SL!

But the enemy infantry really took care of business. They got 4 hits, plus 3 provided by the hero's berserker rage, and I had to decide what 7 units I would lose. It hardly mattered, because my morale check was blown to hell after losing 8 total units in one turn.

So I lost quickly and badly, but I still really enjoyed it. And the tweaked language provided a much funner image in my head as I played. I just wish my AFV could've seen some action before they gave up the fight.

And now I'm off to enjoy my vacation in other ways...ciao!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Modern Battle Dice

Postby josta59 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:39 pm

I really love this game, as simple as it is. This time I played an ambush scenario, inspired by my latest campaign game of Star Army (http://missilesinmanagua.blogspot.com/2014/10/hunters-and-hunted-ambush-scenario.html). I picked an ambushing force that was half the size of the enemy's but with lots of advantages, to see what that can bring to this game.

My dice: 1 leader, 8 infantry, 1 maneuver, 8 advantage, 2 asset (intel, FO)
Enemy dice: 3 leader, 14 infantry, 3 asset (platoon CO, war vet, hero)

Turn 1
The enemy lost their platoon commander right off the bat. Their vet got an asset point that gained a maneuver point for their side. I also got a maneuver point from the roll, and they canceled each other. My infantry got 2 kills (a leader and an infantry) vs the enemy's 5. As the enemy infantry greatly outnumbered mine, I had to make tough choices about which of my dice they killed each turn. This time I picked 3 infantry and 2 advantage dice. My morale check was good.

Turn 2
An enemy leader got a tactics point and led a charge, meaning their infantry could get hits more easily this turn. My infantry got 2 kills (a leader and the vet) vs their 6. This time I chose to lose 2 infantry and 4 advantage dice. This was getting rough, but my morale was still ok.

Turn 3
Both sides lost an asset on this roll. I lost my forward observer, and they lost their hero. I got an advantage point and got one of their infantry (with a kill roll, of course) to switch to my side. But that was the only kill my infantry got (their last leader) vs the enemy infantry's 5 kills. I chose to lose my leader, 2 infantry, and my last 2 advantage dice. No matter what I chose, I would fail my morale check and surrender.

So maybe it wasn't quite as balanced as I thought. I realized today that infantry can be pretty vital in this game, as they should be. With all those advantage dice I had, all they did was get one of their infantry to switch sides at the end, but it was too late to save me. My assets did nothing for me, either. But in the end, it's all in the roll of the dice. I could do the same thing tomorrow with very different results.

This is a very easy and FUN game that would be simple to play on the forum...who's in??
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am

I played another quick ambush game, giving myself 2 more infantry and 2 fewer advantage dice. I thought I was doing really well in Turn 1, until the morale check.

My roll looked great, except that I lost my forward observer, and the enemy's asset dice destroyed my intel and would've destroyed another of my assets if I'd had any more. Good grief.

My leader gained a tactics point and led a charge, making hits more likely for my infantry. I also got 2 advantage points and rolled Fear (affecting enemy morale) and Command, the latter roll allowing me to roll again on the tactics table. This time I rolled Gain Initiative, meaning my hits would be resolved first in Infantry Phase. This made me think about how maybe I should be doing Infantry Phase differently.

I also got a maneuver point, so you can see why I thought my roll was awesome. I got to choose my own result, so I chose to encircle the enemy, which affected their morale even more and gave me a maneuver point for the next turn. This turned out to be the wrong choice; I should've withdrawn to prevent some casualties in Infantry Phase. So my choices really can affect this game, which means I can improve in future games.

In Infantry Phase, both sides got 5 kills. I killed 2 of their 3 leaders and destroyed all 3 of their assets. At this point I thought Turn 1 had to be all mine. I chose which of my dice the enemy destroyed, 2 infantry and 3 advantage dice, but it didn't matter, because I lost more dice than the enemy, which meant I had to check morale. And despite my incredibly beautiful roll, I failed the morale check and lost the game.

What if I'd chosen to withdraw in Maneuver Phase rather than encircle the enemy? I would've rolled for how many casualties I could negate in Infantry Phase. Rolling now, I get 3, so I would've lost 2 dice instead of 5, bringing my total dice lost to 4 vs the enemy's 5 lost dice. They would've checked morale and lost. The game would only last 1 turn either way, but that one bad choice made me the loser.

Did I mention that I love this game? I'd love a real opponent, since I'm using an AI method that doesn't replicate human smarts.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:08 pm

I tried another game to test the extremes of the mechanics. This time each side got one leader, and then all my other dice were war vets while all the enemy's dice were infantry. This was interesting.

I also tried a new mechanic of my own making, an initiative roll during Infantry Phase to increase fairness and make things a little more interesting (it was also more complex, unfortunately).

Turn 1
I lost 4 vets in the initial roll but also got 4 asset points, 3 of which gave my vets battle frenzy, which they could use during Infantry Phase. So I would get to fight during that phase even without infantry. The vets' experience also gave me 1 advantage point for this turn.

The enemy leader got 1 tactics point and rolled for Superior Tactics, which gave them 1 maneuver point.

In Advantage Phase, I rolled for a sneak attack, which let me set 2 enemy dice to "1". I chose 2 of their infantry dice that had rolled as kills. But I was countered in Maneuver Phase when the enemy rolled for a withdrawal, allowing them to negate their next 2 casualties.

So in Infantry Phase, 2 of my battle frenzy kills were negated, and I only got to kill 1 of their infantry dice. But with the new initiative roll I added to the game, I didn't get to do it until the enemy had made all their kills. So the new roll really did increase the fairness of the game, though I already wasn't allowing myself to kill their killer dice until that's all they had left. So it made no difference in this game, but it could in future games. I lost 3 more vets in this phase, which would've been 5 if not for my sneak attack.

I lost 7 vets in all this turn but had a whopping 11 morale points and was able to continue.

Turn 2
I lost 1 vet with the next roll but got 2 asset points. I rolled for experience, giving me 2 advantage points, and command, giving me 3 tactics points. Things were looking up.

My leader got another tactics point, giving me a total of 4. It looked like I could only use 1 of them, because 3 of my rolls were only effective in Infantry Phase, and I had no infantry. But the 1 tactics roll I could use was nice and let me bring back 4 of my destroyed vets. Things were looking way up.

I used my 2 advantage points to get a reinforcement of any type (I chose an infantry) and gain control of an enemy die (I chose an infantry already rolled as a killer). So now I could participate in Infantry Phase after all, and I was already guaranteed a kill. And one of my tactics rolls allowed me to have the first initiative.

But when Infantry Phase came along, it turned out the enemy still got 5 kills compared to my 1 kill. I offed their leader, and they killed 5 of my vets. To make matters worse, I had only 2 morale die showing against my 6 lost dice.

So again, despite many good things happening, too many bad things happened to save my game. But I like the ups and downs and never being really sure of how my roll went until I've completed all the resolutions. As simple as the game is, there's a lot to keep track of.

Return to “Modern Era”