Chain Reaction ninja assault

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Chain Reaction ninja assault

Postby josta59 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:43 pm

This week I wanted to make myself really learn a few things I haven't applied in the Chain Reaction 3.0 rules yet, namely melee, facing, and the raid scenario.

When I've tried out the melee rules before, it went very badly for the attackers. So I thought it might be fun to try having some silent expert ninjas raid a house full of unsuspecting bad guys to give the attackers a good chance of success. I used the same four-story building layout that I used for my "tabletop laser tag" game back on Thanksgiving weekend.

Ninja assault_01_entrance.jpg
The ninjas make their big entrance.
Ninja assault_01_entrance.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 976 times

In the CR3 raid scenario, soldiers have to attack a building from the outside. I was afraid my ninjas (Rep-5 Snake Eyes, Rep-5 Storm Shadow, and Rep-4 Scarlett) might not even make it to the house, so I had them drop in through a skylight, instead. Each floor will have a potential enemy force (PEF) with number of enemies determined by dice roll. I also used dice to place the skylight and the enemies as well as the enemies' weapons (pistol or assault rifle) and facing (toward or away from our ninja heroes). However, all enemies on the top floor would be Rep 3, the lowest skill. The G.I. Joes all had two-handed melee weapons, while the Cobras had only improvised melee weapons.

I made several rules to help this scenario turn out well. The Joes got first activation automatically, as they had the element of surprise. The Cobras could draw weapons in reaction to the ninjas' attack but couldn't fire them during the Joes' first activation. And they had to take a new in-sight test once their weapons were drawn.

The three Joes dropped into a room with four Cobras, three of whom were facing them. The other spun around, and two drew their weapons, and then Scarlett struck. She had one more success than her target according to the Melee Combat table and killed him. (If anyone's confused as to why Scarlett would be considered a ninja, it's in the comics, which were totally different than the cartoon.)

Snake Eyes charged another Cobra, who turned tail and ran to the next room. Snakes threw a ninja star, a rushed parting shot, and missed, a rare event.

Storm Shadow swiftly moved into the adjoining room while the other Cobras were busy with his friends. He charged a Cobra with his back to him and scored 7 successes on the Melee Combat table by rolling 3 or less 7 times in a row! His unwitting target only got 1 success, and the Melee Damage table couldn't even handle this wide disparity of success. I counted the target as "out of the fight."

The Cobras activated, and one poor bastard entered the room where Storm Shadow was and didn't even know what hit him. Stormy had 2 more successes than he did, and he died as a result.

Back in the original room, Scarlett continued her rampage, scoring 1 more success than her next target, who was stunned and could revive later.

The last remaining Cobra fired his pistol at Snake Eyes as the ninja charged him, but he missed. He fired again as a result on the Charge into Melee table, and missed again. Snakes had 3 more successes on the Melee Combat table and wounded his target.

Ninja assault_02_4th fl clear.jpg
Top floor clear
Ninja assault_02_4th fl clear.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 976 times

So this went well, and I had fun. I think when they go down the stairs the building will be alert to their presence since a couple of shots were just fired. There's no need for silence anymore, and Snake Eyes is carrying a submachine gun that might come in handy on the lower floors. Like in a video game, I'll start throwing in higher-rep enemies as they go down, leading to the big baddy on the first floor, Major Bludd, with a rep of 5. He's holding their friend Gung Ho prisoner! But will they make it that far?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Chain Reaction ninja assault

Postby josta59 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 am

Darn, I forgot that groups can melee with groups. That would've made this go faster. I'll have to try that on the third floor.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Interesting....Melee seems extremely brutal in this game system.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Interesting, how is it more brutal than other games? Note that I had two rep 5s and a rep 4 with swords against rep 3s with beer bottles, so brutal was the only way this could go down without some kind of mercy rules.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

:D I'm just not so used to a system that is so close quarters oriented, though that is what this system excels at....nose to nose fighting, so to speak. When it's that difficult to even get through a door is very much different than most systems I play, even at the Squad-level.

This system is almost best described (IMHO) as Man-to-Man. But then again, we are talking of primarily a miniatures game, which is ore known for Man-to-Man.

Just free-thinking here :shock:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Right, it IS a miniatures game, and Luke and I have converted it to a 2D system because it's a scale we like and simple rules that we adapted for use without miniatures. This scale is so close you couldn't even have many tanks on the table. It's the D&D scale, but with guns and grenades instead of swords and spells! Well ok, this time it had swords.

Return to “Modern Era”