Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

Hello, I want to spend some words on this game system.
Scott had already explained in detail how the system works and I would like to talk about "feelings".

I'm gaming since the second half of '70, I prefer tactical games and I love to try new (for me!) game systems.

I don't want to list how many games I know or how good I'm...I found something missing in a lot of ruleset. I talking about "the human element" (I hope in English is like in Italian...) I mean the intangible thing that cannot be foreseeable and can flip upside down a situation...

In "complex" game there are a lot of tricks that can be used like activation chits, bidding system, random and arbitrary disruption like deleting the order/blocking the movement of units in hex numbered with the last digit randomly chosen...the list can be continued but I hope I make my point.

In Chain Reaction the units are moved more and less as the player sees fit, but...at some point in the game, when enemy units sight each other because one of them enter in view of the others, you cannot determine at the start of these "In sight test" what will be the final result. Soldier can refuse to shoot, someone else fight against all odds...

The system is very simple, without the finesse of the detail of weapon systems, but the result is very fun.

I really love 'lasagna' but I like a t-bone with roasted potatoes also...taste is different but both are very good.

Someone wants to try a Chain Reaction morsel ? ;)

Read on!
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am

"We are Mercs. Our group has no fancy name, only this short word. Mercs. It is enough.

We take on the target, accomplish the mission and, once returned to the home base, take the money.

Simple? Yep.
Problem ? More than you can imagine.

People keep throwing to us more and more difficult missions because we are the best.
Now it seems someone had raised a Himalaya and we have to climb it.
Or climb down, as it is more appropriated…

This time the target is located in an old missile silo, a relic of the Cold War refurbished as a luxury exclusive complex.
Felix “le Chat” is a psychotic killer, a man of brutal and sadistic means, and he loves to play with his victims as his nickname may suggest. If we remove him someone is willing to put a bunch of zeroes following a lonely 1 on our numbered account, the old #666.

Usually I don’t care about our target, but this time I feel that hunting a SOB who exists only to make other people’s live miserable and removing such a troublemaker from the face of the Earth will be a gratifying bonus by itself.
Maybe I’m turning old.

The descent to the outer door was easy. I hate to thinker with security system but Gaby is a digital sorceress, she could do anything she wants with any digital bastard crossing her path.
The keypad-protected door didn’t resist her charms and clicked open after a few minutes.
“Done, Arch” she said smiling. She knew how I’m irritated when someone chops my nick “Archangel” (earned when once I used a fire-thrower to clear some pesky bunkers in…wait. I NEVER was here, anyway…) and get it sound like “Archaic”. And she does, every time.

Gaby nodded and stepped inside with Jocelyn, her all-time silent partner... They are Gaby (Gabriela) Smith and Jocelyn Mercier, aka “Steel” and “Ninja”. She sports two Ingram MAC-11 machine pistols and Ninja had a FAMAS covering the passage behind the door.

They walked in with padded steps until they encountered the last obstacle between us and the enemy territory.
Her words were modulated as she was trying not to get smiling; again “Arch, Steel: we found the main door”.

I looked the man on my side, his Spas-12 was ready but the bulky backpack was the main weapon for this quiet man who never smiled and talked only when unavoidable.

“Smiley, are you ready to start our personal 4 of July?”
“Ja.” said Gunther while starting going down the tunnel.

“Here we go” said the last man of the group. I looked up and saw that Jebediah “Rock” Blaze was smiling: “Look man, I only need to know one thing…”
I cut him short “Yes, I know: where they are!” Jeb stopped smiling “Oh, you already know” I feel nearly sorry for him “Yep, Rock, you say it all the times!!!”. But where he was lacking in originality (his preferred movie was Aliens…) he was packing in hell-forged will and his M249 Saw was handled by this giant as an oversized assault rifle.

“You have the rear guard, Rock” I said and checked my M4 and the M203 mounted under the barrel.
“Arkanghel” the thick Smiley’s German accent was unmistakable “charge set, we’re going back to you”

Ninja, Steel and last Smiley returned and took position at a safe distance from the charge.
I looked to Rock: the big guy was covering our rear area and he shot a glance to us only when I said my lucky phrase: “Ok, we are goin’ into Indian country now, so keep sharp and cut the sh*t off. “
I hear Rock chuckling “He says it all the time”: I’m in with a bloody teenager group!
“Please Smiley, open the door” and a shockwave made the floor jump under my feet.
"


Set-up:
I selected a mixed weapon gang as Red force: like in a Hollywood movie the bad guys (random drawed froma a pre-generated pool) will exhibit all the arsenal in Chain Reaction’s rulebook. The good guys have a twin Machine Pistol toting babe and the Leader have a Assault Rifle/Grenade launcher combo.

The map:
I use an old Centurion Game: Silo-14 to have a subterran secret base;a square is 2” across, (i.e. every range or distance in squares is equal to inches/2).
To be in cover an unit must be in partial enemy LOS (the enemy can “see” a little part of the square but not its centre of it. Same cover through the doors: a soldier can be placed halfway a doorstep to fire into/out a room.

The raiding squad is entering from the SW corner. A breach is created by courtesy of Smiley…

I Roll for the Scenario’s Enemy Activity level (two die rolls take the higher, max 5): 2/4= 4.

Enemy PEFs (Possible Enemy Force): the RAID scenario calls for 3 PEFs, I add a special one in the central room (the control room…?) with Felix and goons acting as body guards. The doors accessing the stairs to this central room are armoured and a demo charge is required to open them. When an intruder blows open the armoured door(s) the PEF is resolved as an automatic “B” with a NP Star Leader (the despicable Felix) and one extra guard in front of each red door.

The usual 3 PEFs will be placed by rolling 2d6 and placing the PEF on the checkpoint already present on the Silo 14 map…

And they are placed on checkpoints 4, 6 and 7…

0.JPG
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

TURN 1
Initiative: Player: 6, enemy: 4
Hum…the good guys are not activated: make it the charge explosion turn….BOOM!
The enemies are alerted and start moving…

PEF 2 is the closer PEF so check 2d6 vs. the EAL of 4: 5, 3 one #d6 passed…another roll dictates that the PEF moves 8”=4 squares forward
PEF 3 is the next 2d6 vs. the EAL of 4: 2, 5 one #d6 passed and a 5 sends it on a 4 squares advance also
PEF 4 2d6 roll is: 4, 2 two #d6 passed and a 3 equal to a 8 squares charge

TURN 2
Initiative: Player 1 Enemy 3

PEF 2 is the closer PEF: 1 #d6 passed and it moves 4 squares directly towards nearest PEF (#4) and stops 2 away
PEF 4 2d6 roll is: 3, 3 2#d6 passed but it stops near the other PEF
PEF 3 roll is: 6, 6 and it doesn’t move.

It’s time to activate the good guys….

“Go, go, go!” the team poured in through the smoking hole.
Angry voices far away mean that the enemy is rushing to us…better think fast!
“Rock, go to the first intersection, fire lane down the corridor”
“On my way” the machine-gunner went prone propping the bipod open
“Smiley, cover the other branch”
“Ja”
“Steel, Ninja cover down there” I said pointing to the stairs north of the breach and the two went at the same time.
I walked behind Rock, rifle ready.


1-2.JPG
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm

TURN 3
Initiative: Player= 5 Enemy= 3

Every Player group can be activated….

Smiley walked down the stairs and covered that approach; I walk behind him, with Rock in cover of the other passage.
Steel and Ninja started to run…


Fast move check with 2d6 =2, 3 #d6 passed: two! They doubled the distance travelled: 8 squares!

Enemy:
PEF 4 2d6 roll is: 3, 2 #d6 passed=2! It stops close to the other PEF
PEF 2 roll is: 5, 4 one #d6 passed PEF moves 4 towards nearest enemy
PEF 3 roll is: 2, 4 two #d6 passed PEF moves 8 directly towards nearest PEF and stops 2 away

4.JPG
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I forgot to introduce the good guys...not a smart idea :mrgreen:


Lucienne Romano "Archangel" REP 5 Assault Rifle (AR 1)
Archangel.jpg
Archangel.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 1898 times




Jocelyn Mercier "Ninja" REP 5 Assault Rifle (AR 2)
Gaby Smith "Steel" REP 5 two Machine Pistol (MP 1)

Character Deadly_Duo_by_ArcticAvenger20.jpg


Gunther Tasker "Smiley" REP 4 Shotgun (SHG 1)
Character shotgun.JPG
Character shotgun.JPG (7.74 KiB) Viewed 1898 times


Jebediah Blaze "The Rock" REP 5 SAW (SAW 1)
Character Rock.jpg
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm

TURN 4 Intiative - Player: 5 Enemy : 1

All player’s groups are active

Northern group (Steel and Ninja) check for fast move: the 2d6 roll gets a 3 and a 5: passed 2 #d6 +4 squares!

Steel and Ninja continued to double time…stopping in cover, Steel behind a corner and Ninja into a doorway weapon ready.
Rock got up and peeked around the corner…


Time to see that PEF 2…ooops! “B” contact! Rolling to see how many grunts = 2…as many as ½ the party….2 soldiers, maybe a scout party…with pistol? Oh,my…

Sebastian(PST 7), a bodyguard off-duty was sleeping when the hell got loose…grabbing his 9mm he ran toward the commotion with Tori(BA Pistol 5), a tough girl carrying a 45…
Suddenly he saw a man with a LMG peeking around a corner….


Rock01.JPG


Rock opened fire as the other man started firing…shouting in the comm-link “CONTACT!!!”

rolling for “in sight test”:
Rock has a REP 5, rolls two dice less because he is moving (-1d6 and enemy is in cover -1d6) dice roll are 6,3,4 = 1 success
Sebastian has a REP 3, rolls 1 die less because enemy is in cover (-1d6) dice roll are 1, 4 = 1 success
Both soldiers act at the same time.
Tori has a REP 4, rolls 1 die less because enemy is in cover (-1d6) dice roll are 6, 4, 0 =0 success; she acts last.

Rock didn’t flinch while a bullet plowed into the wall near his head…he fired short bursts and walked the bullets’ stream into the enemies cutting them down.
“Tangos are down, repeat, tangos are down”
“Rock, hold position” I said while trailing Smiley, if we are fast enough we can outflank them….their voices are betraying their position…but professional soldiers are predictable: the world is full of dangerous amateurs…!


Sebastian’s Pistol have a Target rating of 2 and the roll are 4 and 6 , adding the REP 3 the shots are a 7(straight miss) and a 9 (target missed if in cover).

Rock’s SAW have a Target rating of 4; he split fire 1 Sebastian and 3 Tori: dice rolls are 4,5,4,5 arranged higher to lower as 5 and 5,4,4 adding the REP 5 the shots are 10 (target hit) and 10 (target hit) 9,9 (target missed because in cover).

Resolving the effects of the two hits (impact 3) : Sebastian the roll are 4 (higher than the impact=Knocked Down) Resolving the Knock down Sebastian roll a couple of 5, higher than his REP3 and scoring 0 #d6 = Obviously Dead.! Tori rolls a 3 (impact or less= Out of the fight).

Gaby heard footsteps approaching but…there are only echoes rebounding from the walls.

Enemy:
PEF 4 2d6 roll are: 5, 5 = 0#d6 passed: doesn’t move
PEF 3 2d6 roll are: 2, 2 = 2#d6 passed: with another roll of 6 the PEF moves 8 squares towards nearest enemy through cover at all times.
The PEF enter in sight of Ninja and Steel…resolving!
Roll is 1= Nothing but nerves! There is no one there!
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

TURN 5 Intiative - Player: 4 Enemy: 5
Enemy:
PEF 4 2d6 roll are: 6, 6= don’t move.

Gaby advanced, the MACs ready…she looked around the corner…

Steel enter in sight of PEF 4…resolving…..

5.JPG
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

“Contact”- Gaby’s voice is cold as her nickname “Five tangos” and she retreat in cover, levelling her weapons…

6.JPG


Roll is 4 = B CONTACT! As many as the party.
Angus and Gary - Assault Rifle; Zach – Machine Pistol; Cath – 9mm pistol; Dominic – shotgun
“Steel” move the 1 square movement before the starting of the “in sight test”.
Start in sight test….
Steel REP 5: -1d6 (character active and moved) 4d6 = 2,2,1,4 = 3 success
MP2 - Zach REP 4 4d6 = 6, 1, 6, 2= 2 success
AR3 – Gary REP 3 3d6 = 2, 4, 1 = 2 success

steel01.JPG
steel01.JPG (20.72 KiB) Viewed 1898 times


Gary saw a woman coming around the corner and retreating out of sight of most of the group. He had still the intruder in sight and pointed the AK; but the woman started blasting away…

Steel has 2 MPs and shooting them together counts as a rush shot, but the Target rating pass from 3 to 2 x3 (Target rating doesn’t’ add…)!
Steel targets Zach (MP2) 2 shots from MAC10#1 and the other 4 will be at Gary (AR3)…
The rolls are: MAC10#1= 5, 5, and 2 MAC10#2=6, 5, 1 (already sorted from higher to lower) + REP 5 = 10,10,7 and 11,10,6
Only the 10+ are hits so will be 2 hits each on both targets.
On Zach first hit is a Knocked Down (recover is “Stunned” – one turn of activation spent doing nothing) but the other is another KD resolved as an Obviously Dead.
Gary’s first hit is a KD = Out of the fight; second hit is a “stunned”
Dominic (SHG1) see two comrades cut down and must take a “man down” reaction test with 2d6 vs. Dominic REP of 3.
He rolls 1, 5 = passed #1d6 = duck back, search for cover, he move away from the hidden shooter…

Dominic saw the two men cut down and ran back to a nearby corner wall…but he enter the LOS of Rock, waiting for other targets…
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm

7.JPG


… another sight test is starting…!

Dominic is ducking back and so he cannot fire, but Rock can…if he’ll rolls 5 or less with a die= 5, action= fire.

Rock heard the burst of small calibre automatic weapons…he saw a man running towards his position, looking back. Rock let go a burst through the man’s legs, and the target fainted out.
When Gaby called her Tangos down Rock added “You flushed out one Tango for me and I bagged him”


Target rating of 4 = 5,4,3,2 + REP 5 = 9,8,7,6 = 2 hits; resolving hits = 4, 3. With an impact of 3 Dominic'hits are risolved as Out Of Fight and Knocked down=stunned.

…the in sight test is finished!
Ninja follow his partner…

I followed Smiley as he moved towards Ninja and Steel, hoping that Rock could hold his ground for a little more…
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

User avatar
Lucky Luke
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Chain Reaction 3.0 : Mercenary in action!

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm

TURN 6 Intiative - Player: 2 Enemies: 3
Enemy move…
Angus (AR2) is the leader of the fire team with his REP 4 higher than Cath’s REP 3 (PST3). The 2d6 test on the NP force movement table is: 1, 4= 2 #d6: move to cover that allows NP to fire at closest player group.
Angus tries a fast move check (roll 2d6 vs. REP): 6, 3= 1 #d6 passed +2 squares to reach a 6 squares movement allowance.
Running back to a corner he enters “Steel” LOS…another in sight test!

8.JPG


Angus is -1d6 because active and moved rolling 3d6: 5, 6, 4 = 0 successes
Steel roll her full 5d6: 6, 5,5,5,3 = 1 success (low but enough!) and got to roll for action first.
In sight resolution: Steel rolls 1d6 vs. her REP: 1 = passed, she fires.
This time Gaby uses only one MAC10… target rating is only 3d6 : 4,4,3 + REP = 9,9,8 two hits and the third bullets passes behind the running man.
The two hits are 4 (KD) and 1 (Obviously Dead).
Cath has to pass a “Man down” test vs. her REP of 3: 2d6=4, 2= 1 success (duck back)

9.JPG
9.JPG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 1898 times


Steel and Ninja run to the door where Cath is cowering. In the face of three unwavering barrels the girl threw away her handgun and she was handcuffed with a plastic zip string.
“Arch, one egg in the basket”
I nodded my approval even if they couldn’t see me…cold blood murder is not my style.


There are no mobile PEF around so the squad regroup and set the final assault to the central room…
V6!

Luca



"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."


Return to “Modern Era”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest