Tabletop laser tag!

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Tabletop laser tag!

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Last weekend I played a game of tabletop laser tag using the Chain Reaction 3.0 rules. It was fun. I kept things simple by having no leaders and giving everyone the same experience level and the same weapon. A Firepower map provided a four-story building for two five-man teams to hunt each other down.

Laser tag game_01_setup.png
Setup showing all four floors

The blue team activated first and spread throughout the building, making sure at least one man was on each floor. This turned out to be a mistake. I only left one blue man on the first floor, so when the red team activated he had to take them on by himself. That didn’t go well.

Laser tag game_03_first fight.png
Blue team spreads out and one goes down (OOF = out of the fight; DB = ducked back)

The red team proceeded to the second level and hunted down the one man waiting for them there. He managed to take out one red guy but didn’t survive the encounter.

Laser tag game_04_second fight.png
2nd blue man bites it after shooting a red man
Laser tag game_04_second fight.png (76.66 KiB) Viewed 958 times

Turn 2 started and the red team didn’t activate, so things looked hopeful for the three remaining blue guys. They were able to regroup on the stairs going down to the second floor, where all hell broke loose in the hallway. One of the red guys ducked for cover, but the others stayed and fired. They managed to take out one of the blue guys while the other two hid.

Laser tag game_06_group fight results.png
The second floor erupts with gunfire
Laser tag game_06_group fight results.png (106.68 KiB) Viewed 958 times

The red team failed to activate again in Turn 3, so the last two blue guys decided to come out firing. They should’ve surrendered, because they didn’t survive.

Laser tag game_07_end.png
Red wins losing only one man
Laser tag game_07_end.png (82.18 KiB) Viewed 958 times

This played really fast since I knew the CR3 rules and didn’t need a lot of them. I’m loving this reaction system. This would make a fun, quick game for two people who know the CR3 rules. It doesn’t seem to work as well for a solo game, since the rules for non-player movement don’t really apply to this scenario very well. I ended up making an equal amount of decisions for each side.

It would make a good, quick forum game, though. I’d love to moderate a game if two of you want to go at it. All you gotta do is tell me where you wanna run and who you wanna shoot. We can decide on some house rules before we play.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabletop laser tag!

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Ooooh, I missed this one! Cool!!! I like the idea of a training feel scenario. How's you make the dots?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 am

Powerpoint again. I just loaded the maps and made circles for markers. They ain't pretty, but I can make them quickly and give them labels that are easy to read.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 pm

josta59 wrote:Powerpoint again. I just loaded the maps and made circles for markers. They ain't pretty, but I can make them quickly and give them labels that are easy to read.

That's neat....I've not seen anyone else use PowerPoint like you have. Good'onya! As for the circles. hey, I bought an iPad app that has the same circles idea for playing pieces on imported maps that you can supposedly overlay hex grids and such. I've NO freakin' idea how to use it! :lol:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Modern Era”