First game of Urban Warfare miniatures

1989 - PRESENT AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

First game of Urban Warfare miniatures

Postby josta59 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:51 pm

My wife and I finally played the "miniatures" version of Marines vs Mercs: Urban Warfare last night. This game is seriously fun. All you need is a few army men (preferably two different colors), some boxes (six-packs work great), a die, a few coins, a ruler or tape measure, and my 51-card set based on the game Jungle Skirmish by Lloyd Krassner (always have to give him credit for the basic idea of this game).

Most of you are probably familiar with this game by now since I've been playing it by myself on my computer. (If you've missed out, just search for "marines mercs" using the Search feature.) I always intended to try a 3D version, and it did not disappoint.

We gave our toy soldiers fun names and then got ready to play. Here's the basic setup with the two opposing squads at opposite sides of the table (mine are at the bottom, Tara's are at the top):

IMAG0386.jpg
Starting out

The three objectives (represented by quarters) were near the middle, each in one "room" of a six-pack box. We were using Krassner's Jungle Skirmish cards and decided that a range of "1" (1 square on a chessboard) would correspond to 10 inches in this game. So every soldier can go 10 inches as long as he's healthy. Here's a side view showing our soldiers approaching each other cautiously (mine are on the left and Tara's are on the right):

IMAG0387.jpg
The first turn
Last edited by josta59 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: First game of Urban Warfare miniatures

Postby josta59 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm

The two squads came into contact very quickly as they went after the objectives. Here Tara's green guys sneak up on my brown guys, who are split up going after two different quarters:

IMAG0388.jpg
Green sneaks up on brown in two places

IMAG0389.jpg
Close encounters

IMAG0390.jpg
First attack

Meanwhile, her fourth soldier had decided to spend several turns blasting his way through several rooms of another building to go after the third objective. I had to spend my time stopping her other three soldiers, though, as they snuck the quarters I was going for right under my nose.

IMAG0391.jpg
Taking off with the goods as I just watch
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:06 pm

It was all I could do to try and stop her guys from reaching her edge of the table and scoring 20 points.

IMAG0392.jpg
Trying to stop them

But my guys were just having the worst luck.

IMAG0393.jpg
Tara scores 20 points

And then hers came back with a vengeance.

IMAG0394.jpg
Returning for the kill

And she got her first taste of killing, which she seemed to enjoy way too much.

IMAG0395.jpg
My first troop goes down

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:20 pm

All I had to do was focus on killing her soldiers.

IMAG0396.jpg
Time for revenge

But she got the drop on a second guy right away.

IMAG0397.jpg
A second brown troop goes down

Then a sort of standoff happened as her guy inside the Miller High Life building blasted open the last inner door to acquire the third objective as my guy just stood there and watched, too busy trying not to die.

IMAG0398.jpg
The standoff

IMAG0399.jpg
Another view

Then my SD card ran out of space, but Tara got into the spirit of things and positioned two of her men back-to-back, just like in the movies:

army men_90.JPG
Unstoppable green men

I used one of my men to try and block her escape with the third objective, but I'd forgotten about one wounded man she'd hidden near her goal line. I backed right into his LoS and got shot up as she scored 10 more points, and then she got 20 more for all of her men surviving. Final score: 50-10!

So yeah, she totally slaughtered me at my own game. But I had a blast, and I think she did too.

I can set up something like this in my man cave (no flowery tablecloths down there), and two of you can play a game as I moderate. I'll post lots of pictures and details so you can see the action from all the angles. Let me know if you're interested.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Fantastic stuff, Scott....you've done yourself proud with the development of this game! And it's still evolving, which is even cooler!

As a hint, you might want to check out your local fabrics store and get a piece of felt (I believe they call them from a bolt), which is very cheap. Makes a cheap ground cover. You can add pebbles, sand, railroading-type scenery materials for bushes and trees, etc. check out these Hotzmats, too
...http://www.hotzmats.com/bargain_mats.html

For rulers, check this out....
http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1230&p=13678&sid=8533f2aedc96fecc45c2691b0346ae58&sid=8533f2aedc96fecc45c2691b0346ae58#p13678

What size are the infantryman...head to base?
What style buildings would you most want to play...Mid-East, European farmland, modern/urban, etc?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Em! I was sure glad I played this by myself a couple of times before I tried it with someone else. I got a lot of kinks worked out beforehand that way. It also helped a lot that Tara and I had already played Jungle Skirmish a couple of times. The cards are the same, so that saved a lot of explanation time.

These ugly mofo soldiers are an inch and three quarters tall. I would've liked some cooler looking soldiers, but I'm actually not too interested in terrain or buildings. I actually enjoy seeing them shoot each other between beer boxes. And I like that anybody can pick this up and play it with just a few cheap things lying around (once the 51 cards are made). It leaves room for the imagination too, since one time you can play in Afghanistan, and the next time you can play on the Death Star or whatever!

I was going to cut holes for the doors, but then I didn't want to cut the boxes...but I think it would make the game easier. It's hard to remember which doors have been opened when they're only imaginary, and I couldn't think of a good way to write it down during the game.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 pm

josta59 wrote:Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Em! I was sure glad I played this by myself a couple of times before I tried it with someone else. I got a lot of kinks worked out beforehand that way. It also helped a lot that Tara and I had already played Jungle Skirmish a couple of times. The cards are the same, so that saved a lot of explanation time.

These ugly mofo soldiers are an inch and three quarters tall. I would've liked some cooler looking soldiers, but I'm actually not too interested in terrain or buildings. I actually enjoy seeing them shoot each other between beer boxes. And I like that anybody can pick this up and play it with just a few cheap things lying around (once the 51 cards are made). It leaves room for the imagination too, since one time you can play in Afghanistan, and the next time you can play on the Death Star or whatever!

I was going to cut holes for the doors, but then I didn't want to cut the boxes...but I think it would make the game easier. It's hard to remember which doors have been opened when they're only imaginary, and I couldn't think of a good way to write it down during the game.

Your quite welcome....it's easy to be encouraging to stellar people!

For doors and windows on your beer boxes, you could use Post-it's....an 'X' on one for closed.

Make sure to go to Flea Markets, swap meets, Antiques and Consignments Stores, and Yard Sales....you'd be surprised the miniatures you can pick up at those places!

Also, a dollar will buy you a full sheet of foam core board at the craft store, which make excellent buildings with a craft knife!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah! I was just telling Tara that some kind of removable sticker would be really helpful. Post-it notes...bloody brilliant!

Return to “Modern Era”