Somewhere Near the East/West German Border...

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Somewhere Near the East/West German Border...

Postby josta59 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 am

[DISCLAIMER: This is my first AAR of my first solitaire wargame...ever.]

Here's my first solitaire game of Firepower, a game published by Avalon Hill in 1984. The scale is smaller than most, so that each counter represents one soldier.

For this first time through, I used only the basic rules. The two sides are generic, but I pretended the green team was a West German recon squad that got caught crossing the fence in 1984. This is not based on anything that ever happened.

Border patrol sniffed out the six-man recon team, so they continued east and the mission became survival. Unfortunately, a patrol squad was notified and headed them off at the pass. The West Germans decided to push through and rush them. Here's what happened.

FP sol 1-13 c zoom.jpg
Meeting in the pass

The two squads met in a pass between two hills, with a few trees in the middle. When the West Germans (green) spotted the East German patrol (brown), they decided to split in two, with three of them heading to high ground on the south. The East Germans sent one man up the hill on the north.

FP sol 1-13 d zoom.jpg
A bad toss and a fatal decision

The recon squad's leader got bold and advanced to the trees to throw a grenade. Nervous as hell, he put too much hot sauce on it and threw it wide right. One of the East Germans was suppressed for a moment, but he shook it off quickly. At the same time, another West German decided to climb the hill on the north to fire a semi-automatic burst at their man on high ground. But the climb affected his accuracy, and he got blown away by full-auto fire--a lesson learned too late! The East German on the hill advanced past the center row, earning victory points for his team.

FP sol 1-13 e zoom.jpg
Westies gettin' slaughtered

An East German in the pass advanced to the trees and fired on the recon squad leader who'd thrown the grenade. He missed by a long shot and dropped prone. The machine gunner on the East German side advanced to his partner's position and chucked a grenade at the squad leader, killing him instantly. No one else was hurt. At the same time, another patrolman advanced and fired full-auto on the West German sneaking by on the southern hill. This resulted in a third death for the recon squad.

FP sol 1-13 f zoom.jpg
Final desperate moves

In desperation, a West German on the southern hill climbed down and tried to lob a frag over the trees at the two East Germans in the front. He also overthrew, and the grenade had no effect. His buddy on the hill behind him turned and fired semi-auto at the East German advancing on the northern hill, but he missed. He fell to the ground, knowing all was now lost. All that was left for the East Germans to do was advance one more man beyond the center row. Their man in the back was too far away to shoot anyone.

The final score was 9 points for the East German patrol squad (6 for getting two across center and 3 for killing three enemies), 0 for the West German recon squad. No one knows exactly what happened to the three surviving squad members.

I've just acquired the advanced rules for this game along with many realistic scenarios. I'll be reading through those, and my next solitaire game will be based more in reality. I'm thinking something in '80s Nicaragua. If this game looks fun to you, I hope you'll consider playing in the coming months as I learn to moderate the game. Thanks for reading.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Somewhere Near the East/West German Border...

Postby josta59 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am

I got curious as to whether anything like this ever occurred. I had based my little story on a 1965 John le Carré novel (The Looking Glass War), but that was one British agent crossing the border in the '60s. Was anything like that happening in the '80s?

I found the following quote from an online book about American border operations (Stacy WE. U.S. Army Border Operations in Germany: 1945-1983. Heidelberg: Military History Office; 1984. Chapter 6, page 194. Available at: http://www.history.army.mil/documents/BorderOps/ch6.htm.):

The East Germans had built at least four tunnels under the barrier system that emerged on their side of the border, which allowed them to surreptitiously insert reconnaissance patrols and agents into West Germany. The West German Interior Ministry reported that at least eight East German border patrols had been identified on the West German side of the border during 1983. The patrols, composed of officers known for their reliability and loyalty to the East German regime, observed troop movements on the West German side and tried to overhear conversations between the various elements of the border patrol forces. [The Stars and Stripes (Eur ed.), 7 Oct 1983, p. 2. UNCLASSIFIED.]

So my imaginary skirmish might have been more accurate if it had been an East German squad doing recon on the West German side!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 pm

A Lieutenant from my unit was on the border and got a little mixed-up and headed east instead of west.... The bad guys had a Hind helicopter on him, which led to a "Mexican Stand-off" with a couple of Cobras from the 11th ACR... while our intrepid hero managed to re-cross into friendly territory.... this occurred well before I got to the unit..... our hero was a very competent Company XO by then, but a running joke during Aircraft I.D. classes was that the LT knew what a Hind looked like.... He'd nod in bemused agreement...

The drawing of the border is accurate but often the fencline is a distance from the actual border....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:A Lieutenant from my unit was on the border and got a little mixed-up and headed east instead of west.... The bad guys had a Hind helicopter on him, which led to a "Mexican Stand-off" with a couple of Cobras from the 11th ACR... while our intrepid hero managed to re-cross into friendly territory.... this occurred well before I got to the unit..... our hero was a very competent Company XO by then, but a running joke during Aircraft I.D. classes was that the LT knew what a Hind looked like.... He'd nod in bemused agreement...

The drawing of the border is accurate but often the fencline is a distance from the actual border....

Hind vs Cobras! Very cool. I'll have to remember that for a game of MBT...or Assault if i can find some bloody rules...

Thanks for relating that fascinatin' story, Frizz!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 am

I did forget to mention the lootenant had an M60 tank underneath himwhen he did it......:lol:
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 pm

VERY nice Josta, so how did you feel about your first solo game, not to bad, pass, or getting the hang of it and quite interesting?

Cheers

Tom

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Tom, it was so fun that I took advantage of some slow days at work and jumped into a big, complicated scenario in Nicaragua. It's been a lot to learn, but I'm almost done and will probably post the AAR tomorrow. It's like a scene from a movie!

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Glad you liked it. It is an engrossing game. Too bad you dont have anyone to play face to face.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

KG_Panzerschreck wrote:Too bad you dont have anyone to play face to face.

No time for that. That's why I joined this forum...PbP works for me!

Return to “Cold War Era”