Heroes of the Gap, Miniatures-Style Ongoing Campaign

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heroes of the Gap, Miniatures-Style Ongoing Campaign

Postby Whiterook » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Excellent! Let me re-look at the HotGap VASSAL mod.... I remember one of the games was really messed up, and can't remember which one.

On the miniatures, the problem I think is exactly where you were heading with the terrain feeling real: With good to great diorama building skills, you can achieve the semblance of real-life quite effectively, but alas, it requires much time, space, and money.

Though now that I think on it, when I ran that old Axis & Allies Miniatures game back at WWII Zone ('Oil for Panzers), the players, as I remember, really got into it for that very reason; and my bio was really low-end (though, the buildings were top end).

I've been meaning to get a game up, similar to that A&AM game, here on the site. I really want to take my Stargate SG1 minis out for a good ride; which the human soldiers in that would be employing modern tech warfare. That's one of the reasons I bought into FiveCore.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Well, and the time and energy is a whole other factor. You guys spend so much time and energy making one table or diorama, and I totally respect that. But I get bored quickly with one setting and like to move on. And Google Earth lets me go anywhere! ...on Earth. And very quickly and easily.

BTW, I'm really into FiveCore now. It's what I'm using for my current campaign in a different thread. Well, just Company Command so far. I haven't tried the skirmish rules yet. But I'd be totally down to play FiveCore Stargate with you.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I've come across several rules-systems that I thought might lend itself to Stargate, but they always fell short in one way or another. FiveCore seems to fill all the blanks, from the little I've looked into it. Lets do it at some point in the near future. I'll put the skirmish rules on my To Read list!!!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Excellent! Me too. And since I've been playing 5CCC for a few months, I should be able to help a lot.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 pm

josta59 wrote:....I'd still love to play Heroes of the Gap with you or anyone else. I tried really hard to learn the rules and eventually decided it was too much. But having someone help me through it, like you did with that game in Iraq, might be really fun. Best to start simply, though. The fewer rules I have to remember, the better, until I get up to speed.

I looked at the Heroes of the Gap (HotG) VASSAL module, which isn't too bad; and I also looked briefly ay the HotG rules and was like....'Oh yeah, I remember, now!' :D

HotG uses what is now called the Lock 'N Load Tactical (LNLT) rules system. That rules system is used in a wide range of old and current Lock 'N Load Publishing games, covering WWII to modern day.

The good news for you is, those are the exact same core rules we used in the Day of Heroes scenario we played as Iraqi vs US forces; and it is also the same core rules you and Frank are using in the Heroes of the Pacific game currently under way. So, you have a little history with the rules and can build upon them with these games!

Going back to the spirit of this thread, and your posit on playing with actual miniatures, that's an interesting idea to explore with potentially converting the LNLT rules for use with miniatures. I could see it as very doable, with appropriate modifications and transferring unit counter data to say cards.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Oh, right! So I have some experience.

Converting for minis sounds like a big job. I have some experience at that kind of thing, though.

Return to “Cold War Era”