Missiles in Managua: A THW Campaign

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Missiles in Managua: A THW Campaign

Postby josta59 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 pm

It's been a long time coming, and it's finally here. And you, my friends, are the first to know.

It should've been a simple mission. Patrol an abandoned fishery in rural Nicaragua where the Soviet top brass want to establish a route for getting some kind of volatile materials into the capital. We tried to keep a low profile, but things went very wrong, very quickly.

It was 1986, and a small spetsnaz squad was scoping out the area around an old fishing facility outside San Juan. It should've been easy. Make sure no one's hiding out in the buildings and investigate rumors of Contras in the area.

Managua game table_VG game 1_setup.jpg
The table

But then an anti-personnel mine went off, instantly killing Sgt. Petrovich.

Missiles in Managua_04_Booby trap.jpg
Booby trap
Missiles in Managua_04_Booby trap.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 567 times

This was very troubling. Why would some old building in the middle of nowhere be booby trapped? They regrouped and continued to scout the area, making sure it was safe before they moved their comrade's body. Then they ran right into Contras. Luckily their training kicked in instantly.

Missiles in Managua_09_Contras down.jpg
Contras down
Missiles in Managua_09_Contras down.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 567 times

And a grenade thrown by Lt. Aleskeevich finished them off.

Missiles in Managua_10_Grenade.jpg
Grenade
Missiles in Managua_10_Grenade.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 567 times

But before the Soviets could finish checking the buildings...well, you'll have to check out my brand new campaign blog to find out what happened. It just went live, and you heard it here first! All rules are by Two Hour Wargames (a mix of rules from various THW books).

Blog link: Missiles in Managua

josta out
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Cold War Era”