Firepower Two Hour Wargame in Vietnam

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Firepower Two Hour Wargame in Vietnam

Postby josta59 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Here's a teaser for a forthcoming AAR...forthcoming because the game hasn't started yet. But this setup is pretty cool, so I wanted to share it.

Base Camp Assault_01_setup.jpg
The map

This is another Firepower/Two Hour Wargame crossover like my Falklands games a while back. But this time it's a base camp assault in South Vietnam! Through experience I've planned this one much better. I'm letting the dice control things a lot more--including which side I would play, since I couldn't decide! I'll be the defending side with 15 Green Berets defending five buildings and a bunker in the east against 3 VC squads entering from the northwest.

The trees are sparse around the camp, but it's bordered by water and concealed by tall hills. You can see some objects I've added to the map, representing a tower, a bunker, abatis, wire, ditches, and foxholes. These all came from a scenario in the Firepower rules, as did the type of weaponry each side will be using.

You can see three red markers in the upper left--that's the VCs, which the dice declared would all enter in the same area of the map. These were placed after I'd already set up my squad, which is more concentrated on the south side around the very valuable bunker. The VC squads are pregenerated but will move as "potential enemy forces" for convenience. Once they're spotted by the GBs I'll place the actual troop markers.

I let the dice determine each troop's rep by rolling for rep 4 and 5 on the GB side and rep 3-5 on the VC side. This reflects the asymmetry of the conflict with highly trained special forces against regular VC troops.

I like big games like this, but it was a real chore when I played in the Falklands. This game was inspired by THW's Star Army rules, which encourages players to move from platoons to companies as they gain experience. I don't have those rules, but I imagine it's done by applying single dice rolls to whole groups more than what I've done in the past. In that fashion, I hope to make this game much simpler than the Falklands games and maybe actually complete it within two hours.

Em, think Lock 'n' Load but a little closer up, and group rolls will affect individual troops based on their "rep."
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Firepower Two Hour Wargame in Vietnam

Postby josta59 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 am

As excited as I was, this game is going nowhere because my dozens of VCs are just getting pinned in the darkness by one GB in the tower with a nightsight. I've run into this before, but not this badly. The THW reaction test won't let let soldiers move if they're under fire and can't fire back. They just "duck back," and a figure in duck-back can't do anything.

If I were playing this scenario using the older Firepower rules, the soldiers would be fearless and do whatever the player wanted them to do. THW is supposed to provide a more realistic experience. But we have to assume that such night raids did happen in Vietnam by large VC squads lacking nightsights. They were more fearless than these THW grunts. I suppose a modification to the Reaction Table must be made for such a situation.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

Or maybe I could assume the tower has a searchlight, and therefore the enemies can see it and fire back. Sometimes you just have to talk about things with other people before the obvious solution hits you in the face.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Scott, I'm not sure to understand well: you are moving by groups (as in CR3.0). I bought Star Army but the movement of active groups is the same.

A difference between SA and CR is in the REP that is generated for the whole squad and a different one for the leader (more or less) so you have the same rep for all soldiers in a unit ; I think it is a simple method to NOT have a wide range of REP values and the check for activation of a unit is quicker.

The GB on a tower can engage during a "in sight test" all the NEW figures popping up in his LOS...and the reaction test for being under fire applies to the targeted soldiers only (in other THW rulesets all the figures in a few inches range from the target have to check also...).
If you move a group together, a lot of figures will be sighted but only a few will be engaged...the outcome of this attacks is not applied to the other figures (barring a cohesion test....) and they can run forward "Teamwork is essential -- it gives the enemy other people to shoot at" (great Murphy's rule of combat). The number of attackers will overflow the single defender.
If the VC move one by one, well...it's a shooting gallery! The in sight test structure will mow them down by tens.
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks. Couldn't the GB just keep firing at new figures coming into view? I guess they could duck forward into a cover position closer to their goal. But if they can see the tower, they can fire back and even destroy it because they have a rep-5 with a mortar.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:35 pm

You are right, the GB can keep react to new sightings...but if some fireteams come in sight. he can engage all as they came into view, but when the not-ducking back VCs will got the next activation they could move without fear to trigger a new in sight test as they remain into view...

As a single machinegunner can slain all the soldier disembarking from a landing craft shooting into the ranks coming out, when the attackers are deployed as many he can engage without leaving someone free to move?
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Cold War Era”