Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Re: Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Turn 2
On the next activation roll the Argentine side rolled a 6 and wouldn’t be able to move at all. Since we didn’t really want to go anywhere, we took this in stride. We’d simply wait for them to come to us. Once they started moving they’d be much more vulnerable than when they were in cover.

I realized before Turn 2 began that I had played Turn 1 completely wrong by letting people fire at each other when they shouldn’t have been able to see each other. If a soldier is in rough ground and there’s another hex of rough ground between him and the enemy, there’s no LOS. I apologize to myself and my audience for the mess I’ve made here! At least when I play the new scenarios I found, I’ll be able to start all over. And that’ll be in a new thread, because the game really won’t be Firepower anymore. I’ll just use the Firepower maps and weapons charts for convenience.

Anyhow, the 1st British squad finally started moving again, and they went forward 4 hexes over the big hill in the center panel, ending in cover. They still couldn’t see any Argies due to the other hills in the way. But they were now very close to one of the hills they wanted to control.

The 2nd Brit squad was all ducked back, stunned, or wounded, though half of them shouldn’t have even been seen. The three who had ducked back in Turn 1 now activated, and the dice told them to get to a place where they could fire at us from cover. They couldn’t reach a hill without getting in the open, so they moved ahead to the edge of the scrub and initiated an in-sight test with three of us. One of the riflemen on the squad to my right had also picked up his buddy’s machine gun, so we had the advantage now. But their sniper also activated and could see that gunner, and none of us could see him.

Since the Brit squad leader was stunned, temporary leadership had shifted to their machine gunner. Although they were on the move and we were in cover, their riflemen reacted as quickly as I did. I tried to fire full auto at their machine gunner, but I rolled two ones which meant the weapon was out of ammo. It hadn’t even been fired yet, so its former owner just hadn’t loaded it right. This was a real bummer because I had a good shot on him and I was out in the open now like a sitting duck.

This gave their two riflemen a chance to fire at me. They both passed their in-sight test and fired. One missed, but the other hit me twice even though I was prone. I was stunned, but I rolled my four star dice and carried on, though now reduced to three star dice.

An Argentine rifleman in the scrub to my right acted next, ducking back. Then the rifleman with him reacted simultaneously with the British machine gunner. The Argie ducked back while the gunner fired at me, also hitting me twice. My three star dice brought me from out of the fight to stunned, and I lost two more star dice, leaving me with just one. I would now have to spend an entire turn of activation doing nothing, and I was vulnerable to being killed in the meantime.

Then their sniper fired at our machine gunner on the right hill, scoring a hit and taking him out of the fight. But since no one else was in LOS and we couldn’t activate, Turn 2 ended at this point, having gone much worse than we expected. We didn't fire a single shot. Though this turn was much shorter than the last, Turn 1 probably would’ve been this short if I’d followed the terrain rules correctly.
Goose Green_10_I get multiple hits.png
I get shot up bad
Goose Green_10_I get multiple hits.png (73.07 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:24 pm

I admire the fact that you recognized the error but played on. We all do that, my friend....get to a new turn and go 'Oh, darnit!' I have a habit of a specific squad level games where many scenarios involve snipers, of forgetting them and they just sleep in the bell tower or barn loft!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I admire the fact that you recognized the error but played on. We all do that, my friend....get to a new turn and go 'Oh, darnit!' I have a habit of a specific squad level games where many scenarios involve snipers, of forgetting them and they just sleep in the bell tower or barn loft!!!

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a lot better! And thanks for checking out my AARs, too. It makes playing these games twice the fun. Do they make you want to learn the THW system? I think you'd love NUTS. I mean the game, of course.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:31 am

Scott,

I began to read the rule booklet and I would like to try...

It seems to me that this system works very well for close quarter fight and I'm wondering about try it on a "Silo14" (a sooo old game!!!) map.

I read up to the "Actions" section and I didn't read the scenarios one, can play two players vs the system?
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I read up to the "Actions" section and I didn't read the scenarios one, can play two players vs the system?

Yes! That's another great feature of this system. You can teach a newbie to play by having them play along with you against a common enemy. You and I could control separate fireteams if you wanted to do it that way.

Let's talk offline about what we might like to do. We can finish our current Firepower game first if you want.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Turn 3
Both sides would activate in Turn 3, with the British moving first. They rolled a 5 for activation, and while both squads were led by rep-5 troops, most of them wouldn’t have activated otherwise. The sniper would get to fire because he was close enough to the rocket launcher, who was rep 5 and qualified as a temporary group leader while they were separated from their squad. But the dice did determine that the mortar soldier would not be able to fire during this turn since he was only rep 4 and nowhere near his comrades. That would be of great benefit to the Argies.

The 1st British squad only passed one die on the Nonplayer Force Movement Table, and the table was a little vague on what they should do. If they had passed two dice, they would “move to cover that allows the NP to fire at closest player group.” Since they only passed one, they would have to “remain in cover or move to nearest cover. May fire at enemy if in range after reaching cover.” Since they were already in cover, it wasn’t clear that they couldn’t move forward to the hill objective and fire at our left squad, since they would be moving to the nearest cover and firing at us after reaching it.

I decided to go with the interpretation that would provide the most action and give us the greater challenge. They could move into the clear hexes in front of them because there was no LOS, and then they’d proceed to the left hill and engage the two Argie riflemen that ducked back at the end of Turn 1. When the in-sight test was triggered, it was six British against two Argies, and the Argies couldn’t fire because they were still marked as ducked back. They could, however, charge into melee if they passed the in-sight test.

The in-sight test determined that their squad leader would react first, followed by the other five Brits, and finally the two Argies. The SL, armed with a submachine gun, fired at both Argies and missed them both. One rifleman ducked back. I allowed the soldier with a grenade launcher to fire bullets instead, since he was only one hex away from his targets and might blow up his whole squad. He fired semi-automatic at both Argies, killing one of them. The next rifleman fired and missed. An assistant SL with a submachine gun also missed. Their machine gunner fired and stunned his target.

Three of the Brits still had movement available to them, so they advanced and killed the Argie they had just stunned. This left us without any night vision capabilities. It also triggered a new in-sight test, which allowed even more of the Brits to advance another hex to our side of the hill. The leader of our left squad was out in the open and would be the obvious target of the eight Brits who were now in his LOS. His loss would make it that much more difficult for the left squad to stop the British advance.
Goose Green_11_1st Brits advance.png
1st Brits advance
Goose Green_11_1st Brits advance.png (28.7 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

The new in-sight test included seven Argies and ten Brits, and though not all of them could see all the targets, this would be the biggest action of the game. I’ll spare you all the details of the firefight this time. The Argie SL was stunned immediately by submachine-gun fire. Three more Argies went down and two more ducked back. One man kept on fighting, forcing an ASL to duck back since he was outgunned by the Argie. According to the rules the entire British squad was supposed to duck back, but that was a bit much since they clearly had the upper hand. But all had taken their actions and there was nothing left to do, so technically I had to declare the British squad to be ducked back. They took cover on the hill, which they now clearly controlled, and prepared for a counterattack. The British were still behind in terms of victory points, needing to control one more hill just to tie the Argies.
Goose Green_12_1st Brits take control.png
1st Brits take control
Goose Green_12_1st Brits take control.png (29.61 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

Next it was the 2nd Brit squad’s turn. The rocket launcher finished reloading and fired at the right hill, missing our comrades in cover. He couldn’t fire again until Turn 5. The sniper took aim at the right squad’s leader but missed also.

The rest of the 2nd squad made for the center hill. They triggered an in-sight test when they got between the scrub and the hill, but they made it to the hill before the Argies could react. There was only one man defending that hill, and the Argies could still advance and kill me before their turn was over, though this would leave some of them out in the open.

The Brits wounded our one man on the hill. One of our riflemen on the right hill spotted their machine gunner on the central hill, but he missed him. The gunner fired back and killed the Argie. Then their SL took a rifleman down the hill and killed me! So I was now dead, but I could still win the game posthumously. And now the British SL was out in the open.
Goose Green_13_I die.png
I die
Goose Green_13_I die.png (39.39 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

No one else was in LOS, so it was finally time for the Argies to activate. The two remaining men in my squad joined one in the right squad who had ducked back and was out of touch with his squad. To make victory more difficult for the Brits, I had the three of them take control of the tiny hill behind the center hill. The Brits couldn’t see them moving through the rough ground. Each side now controlled two of the eight hills.

The two men left on the right hill got to their feet and climbed higher so they could fire at the British SL. But the Brits on the center hill spotted them right away. They stunned the rifleman and took the Argie SL out of the fight. The Argie SL rolled his last two star dice, but they didn’t save him this time. And that ended Turn 3, a highly eventful turn indeed!
Goose Green_15_Argie SL goes down.png
Argie SL goes down
Goose Green_15_Argie SL goes down.png (29.65 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

We’re halfway through now, and the British have still lost only one man! But will they have more hills than the Argies in the end? Hmm, all signs point to probably, I’m afraid. There aren’t many Argies left.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

josta59 wrote:

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a lot better! And thanks for checking out my AARs, too. It makes playing these games twice the fun. Do they make you want to learn the THW system? I think you'd love NUTS. I mean the game, of course.

You are certainly welcome :D And I VERY much appreciate your taking the time to write up AAR's. I've been hopeful that more gamers here do so, as it is not only fun for the members to read, but also in learning ore about our hobby. I also think it'll draw in new members, as well.

I had planned on getting the NUTS! title. My problem is, I write so many regulations, Statement of Work, and teaching materials at work that my brain is fairly burned out on a continous basis :lol: It's not only finding the time to read rulesets, but being with it enough to retain the stuff.

I have a long list of rulesets to read (and play)....including a copy of 5150 Star Army stashed away somewhere.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 pm

josta59 wrote:Turn 3
I decided to go with the interpretation that would provide the most action and give us the greater challenge.

That's the route I would have taken :D

josta59 wrote:We’re halfway through now, and the British have still lost only one man! But will they have more hills than the Argies in the end? Hmm, all signs point to probably, I’m afraid. There aren’t many Argies left.

Probably, but it will be exciting to see where it goes.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I forgot last time that I hadn’t activated our left squad yet, the four that were left, so I split them up and retreated them to two of the hills to their rear while the 1st Brit squad talked amongst themselves. I don’t think they actually were supposed to be ducked back, but I’m moving on now. So now we had four hills to the Brits’ two, but one of our hills had no one able to fight anymore. It was theirs for the taking.

Turn 4
We now had two healthy men each on two hills and three men on a third. After rolling boxcars twice on the activation roll, I got a 6 for us and a 4 for them. That’s a lot of 6s, man. Again the Argies wouldn’t be able to activate, but there wasn’t much they could do but try to keep those three hills anyway. And once again the British mortar soldier wouldn’t be able to fire, apparently having an issue with either his weapon or his radio.

For movement of the 1st Brit squad I added 2d6 to the roll because they were in cover and were now more than twice as big as our closest group…heck, bigger than two of the closest groups combined. So they passed 2 dice easily and split into two groups. One group had to move into firing position while the other would try to flank the closest group. The Argies probably should’ve surrendered at this point, especially since our machine gunner was not in LOS and couldn’t move this turn. I went ahead and did an in-sight test.

A few of them got spooked and ducked back, including an ASL. Their grenadier finally got a chance to use his launcher, but he missed by a long shot. Their machine gunner and another ASL missed, too, but the MG caused our men to duck back. That they managed to survive this turn was a miracle.
Goose Green_16_Argies survive.png
Argies survive
Goose Green_16_Argies survive.png (33.9 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

The British sniper couldn’t see anyone anymore, so he climbed out of the trench and started making his way toward the hills while the rocket launcher reloaded his weapon. The leader of the 2nd Brit squad and one of his riflemen went straight for the three Argies hiding on the small hill, while half his squad took position on the right hill which no longer had any fighting Argies on it.

There was an in-sight test between 2 Brits and 3 Argies on the tiny hill. One of the Argies was able to react simultaneously with their SL, but he ducked back while the SL hit his teammate. But then one of the Argies unloaded his assault rifle at the British SL and actually stunned him. The SL rolled his 3 remaining star dice and got all 6s, which left him stunned and without any star dice. Nice shooting, kid. Both sides carried on, and that ended the turn.
Goose Green_17_SL stunned.png
British SL stunned
Goose Green_17_SL stunned.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Incredibly, the Argies only had one man wounded on this turn and lost only one hill to the Brits. They also stunned an SL that had caused them a lot of trouble earlier in the game, and if they could activate in Turn 5 they could dispatch him. Considering the circumstances, this turn went much better than expected. The Brits would try to take over two more hills in Turn 5.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Actually the mortar guy was able to activate this time, but he missed again.

Return to “Cold War Era”