Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

josta59

Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

Postby josta59 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Having a new subforum dedicated to the Cold War era got me fired up to do a new game. I've been wanting to play a game set in the Falklands for a year, so I'm finally gonna do it.

This time I'm playing solo using Two Hour Wargames' Chain Reaction 3.0 rules, which control all the enemy squads for me. I'm loving these rules lately.

The map and scenario are provided by Avalon Hill's Firepower and The General, respectively. The scenario is called Pebble Island 1982, a patrol scenario that should work very well with the patrol scenario in the CR3 rules. I'll control two SAS patrols caught surveilling Argentine airpower facilities on the island under the cover of night (see http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/TheSASraidontheairfieldatPebbleIsland.cfm). Here's the map:

Pebble Island map_setup.png

In accordance with the scenario, I'm ignoring the buildings and trees, so cover will be provided only by a few hills and the rough areas off the roads. Conditions are muddy, so offroad movement is cut in half. The SAS have the advantage of night vision, so LOS will be much longer for them. That's good because they will likely be far outnumbered. I don't know just how many soldiers I'll be facing. The red circles on the map represent possible enemy forces (generated by dice roll following my placements).

My SAS patrols must enter from the north and have to exit north during Turn 5 only to score points. I have ten men, and if I can get points with at least half of them I'll consider it a win.

I'll report here as I go. Your comments and even your tactical advice are welcome! I may be the only person in the world combining Two Hour Wargames with Firepower, and that feels kinda cool.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am

Both my patrols spotted an eleven-man Argentine squad advancing in our direction through the mud, apparently alerted to our presence and heading for an advantageous position in the rocks. We're out in the open, but they can't see us yet in the dark. We have a tremendous advantage with our night vision equipment, but one of my patrols is just out of firing range and can't react. I and two of my men have clear shots, and our first reactions to spotting the enemy will follow.

Pebble Island map_02_1st sighting.png
First enemy sighting
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

My team hasn't even activated or moved yet, and already our night vision EQ and superior training are allowing us to vanquish our foes. Three of us fired on the four Argentines in front with our assault rifles and took three down right away. The fourth, one of their leaders, was slippery and jumped for cover. But when he saw the rest of his squad turn tail, he tried to follow them and met with a quick death when my bullet hit him in the back.

Pebble Island map_03_1st firing.png
Three Argentines go down
Pebble Island map_04_runaway.png
I get in a parting shot as the enemy squad runs away
Pebble Island map_04_runaway.png (86.47 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

The Argentines' activation is finally over, and next we'll probably just lie low in the rocks and wait for our extraction. With any luck, the chopper will reach us before any more Argentines do (but what fun would that be?).

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Orders came in from the boat to advance to high ground to take pictures. When we did, we saw...nothing. Those potential enemy forces we thought were out there turned out to be nothing at all, so the game was over. That'll teach me to report a game as I go. Guess I should stick to AFTER action reports.

Then I looked at the scenario again and saw that the Argentines actually should've had four sets of night vision EQ amongst them. So I backed up to the first sighting and gave the four men in front night sights. Things went very differently then, and I started losing men. But my family kept interrupting the firefight, and eventually I got so confused I decided to start the fight over again. I'll give it one more try and let you know how it goes.

I have a Falklands raid scenario I can do after this, but I'm thinking about trying a little experiment in-between.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:08 pm

I had forgotten that a group in movement gets a slight disadvantage in a firefight,* so that fight needed to be redone anyway. I had forgotten that each soldier has to pass a test before it can fire, too.

Interestingly, when I reran the fight, it turned out exactly like it did the first time (see above). I mean uncannily the same, like this was the result that was meant to be. Again the three in front went down, the same guy ducked into cover, and the rest ran away. The three wounded never had a chance to fire, so it didn’t matter that I gave them nightsights this time!

But the one that ducked into cover wasn't supposed to run away with them, so that's the one difference this time. He's hiding in the rocks and will be around when my team activates. And he has a nightsight.

*As much as I love these rules, they lack a way for both sides to be moving at the same time, as they often would in real life. Has anyone played a game that has a good way of depicting simultaneous movement?
Last edited by josta59 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:11 pm

War can be crazy. When the Argentinian squad leader ducked into cover, he was spotted by our other patrol and quickly dispatched. My patrol advanced to the hill to see what was out there, and (this time) we saw that we were far outnumbered, nearly two to one, though they were quite far away. Both of our patrols took positions in cover and waited.

The enemy squads took a long time to get within range, and by the time the first one did it was the second half of Turn 4. We spent two full turns doing nothing. The last squad won’t be able to reach us by the end of Turn 5. And none of the enemy have nightsights this time, so the chances of anyone in my patrols getting hurt are slim.

Pebble Island map_06_next squad in range.png
Another squad's ready to die
Pebble Island map_06_next squad in range.png (33.2 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

Next we’ll see how well my men can shoot a target that can’t see us (again) as the next squad slogs through the mud in search of cover.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:14 pm

This was a pointless exercise. Of course my men tore through the helpless Argentinian squad that was all but blind in the darkness, and then they exited in Turn 5 and scored all the points that were possible.

Comments on this scenario: I don’t get it. I keep looking back at the scenario thinking I must have missed something. I don’t think it would’ve mattered if I had used the Firepower rules; the scenario is what it is. It would’ve been more interesting if the British side were forced to start some distance from the exit edge so that they had to move a few hexes in order to escape. But the scenario allows them to start anywhere in the north part of the map, so why wouldn’t the player place them right up at the edge, guaranteeing their escape and ensuring VPs? With only four nightsights among them, the player controlling the Argentinian side would be very frustrated, and I don’t see how he/she could win. What are the soldiers without nightsights supposed to do? There’s no way they could get close enough to fire on the British. I wonder if there’s a misprint here.

I guess the only chance the Argentinian player would have would be to successfully wound some of the British at the start and then keep trying to move the rest of the squads in close enough to see them. But they have less experience, and there’s no cover they can reach easily from the road in the mud. I wish I knew what the designer intended.

I’d be very interested to see what Lucky Luke has to say about this. Am I missing something? A Google search brings up nothing on this scenario; it’s possible no one but me has played it since the ‘80s.

For a real challenge, I’m thinking of playing the Argentinian side when I play the Falklands assault scenario from the Firepower rule book. Could be a lot more interesting.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:48 am

Follow-up comment: Maybe the idea is for the guys with nightsights to keep the Brits busy while those without move in closer.It might work one in ten times. And maybe that's an appropriate ratio in the Falklands, particularly on land.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Darn, that's cool stuff!!! I've been meaning to sit down with that rule set for a long time now. Too many rules and not enough time :lol: But seriously, really love what you've done here and an excellent write-up!!!

Also, REALLY glad to see the comment on the new sub-forum format getting you fired up back into wanting to generate the game you played above...that made it all worth it, for me. Thanks!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Whiterook wrote:Darn, that's cool stuff!!! I've been meaning to sit down with that rule set for a long time now. Too many rules and not enough time :lol: But seriously, really love what you've done here and an excellent write-up!!!

Also, REALLY glad to see the comment on the new sub-forum format getting you fired up back into wanting to generate the game you played above...that made it all worth it, for me. Thanks!!!

Glad you liked it. Just wish it had been more interesting. I hope some of you experienced gamers can offer some insight into the scenario design. Those guys writing for The General took this stuff very seriously, so I don't understand why this scenario seems so impossible for the Argentinian side.

Later on I'll continue this thread with a British assault, in which I'll probably play the role of an Argentinian squad leader defending a vital position. Before that, I'm thinking of trying a game of tabletop laser tag, also using CR3 rules on a Firepower board (these boards are very convenient for those who don't wish to create their own terrain and buildings).

Lastly, I'd like to repeat that I agree with many gamers on the utility of the CR3 system for solo gaming. There's not a lot of number crunching, and as these rules were made for miniature gaming, movement is a bit more freeform than in a board game like Firepower. Best of all, enemy actions are determined by dice roll, so there's no effort spent in trying to fairly make decisions for both sides. I find it a lot more fun, like playing a video game in slow-mo so you know exactly what's happening (but not what will happen next).

Return to “Cold War Era”