Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

1945 - 1991 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Falklands Scenario (A Firepower Two Hour Wargame)

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Great writing...and interesting action in this.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Kind words!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 pm

GO BRITS!!! :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Turn 5
The next activation roll was 3 for us and 5 for them, so we’d finally get to move again, but they’d go first, all except the sniper and mortar soldier. The rocket launcher finished reloading and, incredibly, had LOS to the tiny hill being contested in the rear, though the Argies on the hill could easily move to the right hill without him seeing.

I rolled 4d6 again for movement of the 1st Brit squad, still ten men strong and in cohesion. They rolled 3 6s and a 5, but even though they got a really bad roll, there was not much point rolling at all since the NP Force Movement Table is so vague on what to do with them. I should think about a house rule for NP movement. I let the two halves advance to the two hills in the rear.

Two Argies were ducked back on the left-most hill, so I let the Brits move around behind them to initiate an in-sight test on the hill. The SL hit one of the Argies twice, taking him out of the fight before he knew what was happening. Most of the Brits ducked back, except for a rifleman who missed the other Argie. The Argie scored a hit on the SL but was then out of ammo. The SL’s star dice kept him in the fight, though he lost 1 star die. And he was outgunned, so he ducked back. The Argie ducked back too, seeing that his comrade was wounded and he was out of ammo. He’d spend a full turn of activation reloading his weapon, which meant he could only fight hand-to-hand for the remainder of the game.

Goose Green_18_fight on left rear hill.png
Fight on left rear hill
Goose Green_18_fight on left rear hill.png (25.58 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

The rest of 1st Brit squad moved to the center hill in the rear, where two Argies were waiting including a machine gunner. The British machine gunner hit both of them, killing our machine gunner, and a rifleman took the other Argie out of the fight. So a fourth hill was now firmly under British control.

Goose Green_19_fight on center rear hill.png
Fight on center rear hill
Goose Green_19_fight on center rear hill.png (16.69 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

The Argies now activated (since I forgot to activate the 2nd Brits), and two who were stunned in Turn 3 now came out of their stupor. Since they were alone they had to activate as their own groups. One was the leader of our left squad, who climbed the center rear hill and snuck up on the Brits who’d just conquered it. He found a spot on the hill where only one of the Brits could see him but he could see most of them, a funny quirk of the CR3 rules. The in-sight reactions were simultaneous, with the Brit rifleman ducking back and the Argie SL firing at their machine gunner but missing him. The gunner fired back in response but missed thanks to the cover of the hill, but the Argie SL ducked back since he was outgunned.

Goose Green_20_SL sneak attack.png
SL sneak attack
Goose Green_20_SL sneak attack.png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

The Argies on the small hill activated next and killed the other British SL who they’d stunned in the previous turn. No in-sight test was triggered with the British rifleman in that hex since he was ducked back, and the Argies would have a chance to clear the small hill and retain control in the next turn.

Goose Green_21_Brith SL killed.png
British SL killed
Goose Green_21_Brith SL killed.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

Finally an Argie rifleman on the right hill activated and moved out of LOS of the rocket launcher to a hex where he could engage the Brits who had moved to that hill. Their machine gunner fired first, scoring three hits on the Argie and taking him out of the fight. Three hills were again firmly under British control.

Then I realized I didn’t activate the 2nd British squad when I was supposed to…too many distractions that day. I moved the three Brits on the right hill to the small hill. All four Brits, now led by their machine gunner, reacted before the two Argies. The machine gunner killed one of them, and the other Argie ducked back. This ended Turn 5 with three Argies left defending three different hills, and one was out of ammo.

Goose Green_22_fight on tiny hill.png
Fight on tiny hill
Goose Green_22_fight on tiny hill.png (7.63 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Turn 6
The Argies just couldn’t catch on a break on the activation rolls, as the Brits activated first again in the final turn. The British sniper moved in closer on the right side, to a spot where he could support the 2nd Brits on the tiny hill. Since all the Argies were ducked back, all the Brits would have to circle around them to see them. The fighting on all the hills was too close-range for the mortar soldier to help.

The Brits on the left hill climbed down to clear ground to see the Argie there, which was safe since he was out of ammo. They left one man on the hill so they could get the VPs for it. The British SL fired but missed, and then the Argie ducked back before anyone else could fire. This meant the game would end with one Argie and one Brit on the left hill, and the Argie was there first.

On the center hill, the Brits could stay on the hill while they circled around, and one of their ASLs hit the Argie SL with a kill shot. I rolled 4 star dice, but his status only improved to out of the fight. The center hill firmly belonged to the British.

Goose Green_23_fight on center hill.png
Fight on center hill
Goose Green_23_fight on center hill.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

Finally, on the tiny hill, three Brits circled around to get LOS on the last Argie. The Argie and one of the British riflemen fired at the same time and both hit each other. The Argie was stunned and the Brit was killed. Three Brits remained alive on the tiny hill along with a stunned Argie, and the Argie was there first. It was finally time to count the VPs.

Goose Green_24_final.png
Final scene

If hill control was counted by which side controlled the hill first and remained alive upon it, the Argies had two and the Brits had four. If counting by who had more living troops on the hill at the end, there was one hill, the left rear hill, still in contention with one soldier from each side (though the Argie was out of ammo), while the Brits had clear control of five hills. Either way it was a decisive victory for the British 2nd Parachute Battalion. Out of the 19 men they entered with, they had one man wounded and two killed, including a squad leader. Out of the 31 Argies of Task Force Mercedes defending the hills, there were 11 killed and 19 wounded (including the one that had just been stunned). Only one Argie was never hit, and his gun was empty.

Comments
I made a ton of mistakes while playing this game. I didn’t even understand the terrain rules clearly when I started. If I had, the British wouldn’t have been nearly so close, so fast, and I would’ve started the Argies on the hills rather than behind them.

But I had a lot of fun anyway. It was a cool scenario with many objectives and a lot of soldiers, and it played out similarly to how it really happened at Darwin Ridge. The question is, is there a way to win this scenario when playing the Argentine side? Since I made so many mistakes, this is a hard question to answer. I’d have to try it again to get a better idea.

Now that I’ve worked out a lot of the mechanics, I’m excited to play the Falklands skirmish scenarios I found online. I’m a glutton for punishment, because I want to see if I can win any of the scenarios playing the Argentines. I’ll start that in a new thread, though I may take a break from this before I start.

By the way, sorry all the pictures were so small. I'll see what I can do to improve that in the future.

Some solo games I hope to play this year include not only the Falklands scenarios but also more scenarios from the Firepower rule book and The General, as well as a tabletop version of a Ghost Recon video game.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 am

Very nice ARR! Thank you!!!

I think you do exactly what the majority of us Grognards do...find a new system and figure it out as we go; even when reading the rules a couple times! A small (yet huge) facet of our activity...most non-Grogs do not realize how teechnical a lot of these systems are and it would be near impossible (except for those special few brainiacs) to 'get it' on the rules right off the bat. Hell, I', still playing a few games where I haveen't figured out all the rulees yet! It takes time and repitition...and even when we've thought we had it down pat, one day we look at something and go, 'Heeeeeeey????'

Myself, I have a tenuous grasp on these rules. The full 5150 rules are amazing, but I've just not had the time to get into them.

I'll be curious to see if you come up with a Home Rule for NP movement. I'll jhave to look at that closer, too....and see if I come up with the samee problems/solutions as you did (another fun aspect of our activity.

I look forward to your next outing. I will play this with you at some point!!! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 am

Hey Em, since you're planning to play this game with us, I highly recommend you check out the PbP game we just finished at this link: http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=585.

I didn't go into the mechanics very deeply in the above AAR, but we go extremely deep in this new one because we were playing in real-time. We worked out a lot of kinks as we went along, too. In fact, reading through this might be more helpful than reading the actual rules! Depending on how similar Luke runs his game, that is.

Return to “Cold War Era”