1905 - 1945 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

White Star Rising: Noville, Belgium ARR

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm

White Star Rising: Scenario 1, Noville, Belgium

This is my After atcion Report for the titled scenario, played Sunday, July 10, 2011.

The Battle:

19 December 1944 - One of the small towns that anchored the outer defenses of bastogne was Noville. Defended by a mixed armor-infantry force that was commanded by Major William Desobry and the 1stBattalion of th 506th Paracchute Infantry, the Americans withstood attacks from the German 2nd Panzer Division for over 36 hours.

This is what the battlefield was set up on...it was a perfect summer's day in New England t play on the sunporch!!!

This game was to be played solitaire and in the few tries at this very scenaio I have never won as the Germans. It's a meat grinder scenario, as the Americans usually set up to protect a channel in the middle of the board, in which the Germans could funnel through; or be able to shift to the outer edges of two areas of woods to quickly cover a flank, again trapping the Germans in a funnel. Just nasty stuff! I have tried straight down the gut center; and another play slitting the forces center and top (North) of the board. Nada!

I have found that in this scenario, a lot depends where American Mortars and tank destroyers are setup. Mortars are deadly....if you can Disrupt them and can keep them out-of-actio, you stand a chance.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: White Star Rising: Noville, Belgium ARR

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 pm

The forces were set up in a fashion different from previous attempts.....

The Germans have Kampgruppe Beck, made up of a Headquarters unit, two platoons of Panzer IV's, two platoons of Panthers, three platoons Panzer Grenadiers, with enough Heavy Machneguns for one platoon. I set them up so as to come through the river town of Celles, as the only bridge is in that area; the river is too deep to forde....

The Germans also have a Bravo Section to KGB, made up of one sub-Headquarters, one platoon of Tiger I's, one platoon of StuG III's, and one platoon of Panzer Grenadiers....these will come on when KGB is activated, per the scenario setup rules, and will have the boardedge of entry randomly determined.

The Americans have the 507th PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment), made up of one Headquarters, two platoons of Para Infantry, one platoon of 60mm Mortar, one platoon of Bazooka support weapons; and attached to them is one platoon of M18 Hellcats and one platoon of 57mm ATG's. These were all setup in the north side of a stand of woods on the south (bottom) edge of the board.....

And the Americans also have the CAA made up of a Headquarters unit, one platoon of M4A3Ea "Easy Eight" tank destroyers, two platoons of M4A1 Shermans, two platoons of Armored Infantry, a platoon with enough Heavy Machinegun support weapons for a platoon, one recce platoon of M5 Stuarts; and attached is a platoon of 81mm Mortars. These were setup on the southern edge of a stad of woods on the northern edge of the board.....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 pm

I started out the scenario having the Americans activate, botth PIR and then CAA in a row, with nothing really to shoot at, so they held fire and laid in wait for Opportunity Fire....then KGB was activated and as usual....got hammered by mortar and tank fire as my forces made their way over the bridge. I had my KGB Panthers leading the way, as their armor and firepower gave me the best chance of trying to put some fire on the American lines in the woods, while my Panzer IVs and grenadiers came up behind and swung (or try to) the Panthers. One Panther was hit hard and Disrupted, but the other fared better. The Panzer IV's made it through Ops Fire and I had a decision to make....up straight down the middle, or veer off? I had them veer south towards the bottom edge of the board. All KGB units were able to move forward and clear the bridge...then it was Bravo's time toshine in Turn 1....

Bravo had it's random roll as luck had it this day, rolled to come in on the boards' SOUTH edge!!! A game changer in Turn 1! What happened over the next several turns through to mid-game (The game is 8-Turns long) was, KGB Bravo was able to withstand Ops Fire with a minimum of Disruptions and hauled armor down on a diagonal up to the Northwest, and come in towards Ste. Jeanne from the west flank. The platoon of StuG III's was the first German units to ever make it to the objective for me!!!

It was around this time the Americans started shifting en masse big time! In my plays of this scenario, they have never had to move position, as they'd pretty much wreaked havoc on the Germans long before they made it mid-way across the board!

The game objective is to have the Germans be in control of all three hexes that make up Ste Jeanne; all other results is an American win. I take that to mean, in control at the end of 8 turns, tough the scenario does not stipulate.

While Bravo section maneuvered to that positioning, KGB stayed on the southern edge of the board keeping out of range as best as possible....the aim, to link up with Bravo in support by the end of Turn 7.....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 pm

By Turn 6.....

....the Germans actualy had a full compliment of occupation troops in the city of Ste. Jeanne! The center hex of the three-hex city was the weak link, with just Bravo's sHQ. That would prove an Achilles Heel!

Note that the platoon of StuG III's shifted to the southeastern side of the city to make room for a Reduced platoon of Tiger I's....even reduced, those cats still have a wicked bite!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 pm

By Turn 7.....

....the Americans had shifted east and were pounding the crap out of Beck and Bravo. The worst came when a platoon of Armored Infantry of the CAA assaulted the StuG III platoon and routed them, causing the Germans to withdraw and retreat from the city. Embarassing! Assualt Combat in this game is a real hellfire, and infantry on all tanks has a HUGE advantage in the factors rolled....as you can see....

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:47 pm

And finally, Endgame...Turn 8....

....The Bravo sHQ and infantry made it back into the city and Beck came in to reinforce with it's one Panther platoon (one was lost along the way) and both Panzer IV platoons, et al. On tht final turn, it came down to the American CAA to try and ouste the Germans out of at least one hex of Ste. Jeanne: First by blasting....didn't work; and then a made assault run by first the platoon of easy Eight, and then the last-ditch effort recce platoon of M5 Stuarts, but both failed and were repelled!

The Germans won!!!

A parting word of loss....the poor Kampfgruppe Beck Panzer Grenadiers were abandoned along the way mid-game :lol: That's what can happen when slower units fall behind and then Out Of Command range of their Headquarters. The hapless groupe just couldn't seem to rally and move forward enough.

So there you have it....a very good day for the Fatherland.

Return to “World War Era”