Vimy Ridge

1905 - 1945 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vimy Ridge

Postby Hagen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:52 pm

By Decision Games and one of their Folio Games. The battle for Vimy Ridge took place in April 1917. Until this time this German stronpoint had withstood numerous attacks by French and British troops. Now it would be the turn of the newly formed Canadian Corps with British artillery support.

The Canadian attack starts out with a gas attack by British artillery, a very successful attack at that. The Canadians go "over the top" and hit the trenches which are manned mainly by regiments of tough Bavarian troops. Although the gas attack was successful the entrenched Bavarians put up a terrific fight and halted the first Canadian wave, but there were more determined Canadian regiments to come.

Trench warfare was brutal as this game attests to. Trench mortars, hand grenades and hand to hand fighting made for quite a great holding battles as the Canadian regiments just keep battering the German trench taking many casualties without much for reinforcements for either side.!

Still the constant battering of the German line began to have its desired effect and at the beginning of the third day the German line began to crumble and the Canadians began to take control of the battle until finally on the last day of battle the Canadians claimed enough victory points to claim victory.

A fun, fast playing game that I will definitely play again.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Vimy Ridge

Postby Hagen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:01 pm

I know I made a mistake in the third paragraph but I don't seem to have an edit option for some reason. I know some forums have a time limit for Editting of posts but it wasn't even a minute after posting. :(

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Vimy Ridge

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I'll have to look this one over..... Being a Part-time Canadian, keeps me obligated
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “World War Era”