The French Attack..... eventually

1568 - 1815 AD

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The French Attack..... eventually

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:57 am

This game was played using the hybrid Empire / Fire & Fury rules. This set has been compiled to allow brigade size games in a reasonable time
frame. It rewards boldness. Then again, it could be said to punish brash stupidity, depends on whether your plan comes off.

Things can change fairly quickly which is good.

The French are attacking a hill which the Prussians are trying to hold.

The Prussians cleverly put their worst troops on the hill for protection and added their cannons in as well.

On the flanks they had cavalry and their better infantry, mostly in lines.

A house on one flank was fortified while the other flank had light woods which mad things a bit more difficult. on top of that was a bog in the centre
front of the hill. No charging through that and slow movement anyway.

The best Prussian cavalry was placed behind the hill to allow exploitation as available (they nearly did too).

My french division on the left where the woods are has a battery in support plus two units of heavy battle cavalry (cuirassiers).
It was getting difficult as I moved forward because the woods and bog were channelling my troops into a not wide enough lane. I tried to charge
the guns with a brigade but got blasted back down the hill again. The I managed to get a cavalry through to the side of the hill to have a go
at a column of Prussian conscripts who were disordered. This was good. They had to roll around nineteen out of twenty to form square or they were
toast. This was even with my cav losing a quarter of it's troops to cannons on the way in.

Smash.... oops, not smash. A nineteen ?!!???! They rolled a frickin' nineteen and formed square!!! Back go the cavalry. This just wasn't happening folks.

IMG_0076.jpg

This pic shows the French just before the cavalry charge. The cavalry to charge are the green ones toward the bottom right of the pic. Just in
front of them are the infantry who charged the hill and lost a stand doing it. Behind them are my elite troops who have taken no hits and are
waiting to smack weakened Prussian units. Up to this point it was my troops being weakened though.

On the left is a Prussian conscript cavalry unit which came around the woods and threatened my flank. The other heavy cavalry unit on the bottom
right corner is heading that way to see them off.

Int the middle I have a line of veterans in the woods facing a Prussian line of veterans in the woods. The cannon I have has been belted by the
Prussian cannon and is not a lot of use.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The French Attack..... eventually

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Due to a bit of luck and having higher ranked cavalry I managed to wallop the Prussian Cavalry. Now I was threatening their line of veterans in
the woods with two infantry units and a cavalry unit.

A charge by the cavalry was successful and the Prussian infantry broke. Again the dice helped which made up for the Prussian commanders
rolls which had been most off putting.

IMG_0084.jpg

This pic shows the French cavalry and infantry lined up for a big push. This ended the Prussian resistance but still could have gone the other way.
As I put before, these rules reward you one way or the other.

My elite infantry also went forward after this to attack a Prussian column of conscripts and managed to get there without the cannons having
an influence.It didn't matter by now as the Prussian flank was open. The game was ending on this move anyway so it was a last gasp attempt
on the French side to win. We sort of did but there were plenty of Prussians left.

Still, it doesn't really matter as it is still a work in progress.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Now a look in the middle. This was interesting as a couple of French charges went in but were also thrown back. Eventually my colleague who
takes the name General Disorder, used his combined batteries to give the Prussian troops on the centre of the hill a hard time.

The opposition had conscripted the famous Spanish General, Manuel Labour. This General likes to do unexpected and devious things. Our elite
troops had tried to charge the Prussian infantry but had been pushed back down the hill in front of our guns. They were also disordered.

This was when the Prussian reserve cavalry charged over the top of the hill. This was bad. If these infantry were smashed we would lose the guns
and have a big gap in our line.

Did I mention the French troops were elites ? This together with a good dice roll allowed them to calmly form square and throw the cavalry back.
This was excellent for us as General Disorder then moved the square back to unmask the cannon batteries which proceeded to decimate the
Prussian cavalry. Again, it could have gone the other way.

IMG_0087.jpg

Here we have the centre. The fluffy bit in front is the bog. A unit of my troops is in line in the bog. That was to get them out of damn way of my
other units. Just to their right are two French gun batteries. Behind the guns (down) is the French square which has moved behind them.
Straight over the back of the hill are three stands of cavalry. These are the ones who charged over the hill. This is after they were shot by the
combined cannons. before that they had six stands. Yes, cannon fire is nasty when combined at close range. This was a very worrying charge
as far as we were concerned and a good move too. Even though it didn't come off it shows the good thing about this hybrid system. That is
the ability to move a reasonable distance in one go and to be able to take the risk to hopefully reap the reward ( or the whirlwind if you cock it
up).

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Last but not least is the right. This was a bit of a stand off in the end as both sides had cover. The Prussians had troops in the house and cavalry
ready to pounce.

The French side had a solid block of troops with cavalry ready to pounce.

There was an early charge by The Prussians against a French infantry unit but a hastily formed square saw them pushed back. Neither side
could really advance by this stage as the other had too many counter moves available.

IMG_0075.jpg

Nice setup here as both sides can inflict quite a bit if damage if the other moves forward.

That was about it for the game with players still learning and some rules changing as a result of play. These will evolve into a very good set as
they are now down to several pages which cover most of what is needed. There is a lot of gaming experience in these and it shows as it gets
closer to proper balance with the essentials of smooth gameplay plus an enjoyable time. That is definitely worth aiming for.

Return to “Pike & Shot”