The Hunger Games -the trilogy

Non-Military Books Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Hunger Games -the trilogy

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Just finished reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. I had seen the movie this past summer and really, really enjoyed it. The book was actually much better....as they often are....but I was pleased to see the movie had indeed stayed fairly true to the book.

The book however, had much more depth....and a few twists that I either don't remember from the movie, didn't realize their meaning at the time, or were completely different between the two mediums. That said, one does not detract from the other in the least.

And THAT said....I highly recommend reading the book. I'll be starting the second book, "Catching Fire" later tonight!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Hunger Games -the trilogy

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:32 pm

I think very few film adaptations are as good as the book because the director has a totally different vision to what you have,also there are things that just can`t be explained without a commentary making the whole thing a bit simplistic
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Forgot to mention that I had finished reading al three books some time ago...as a series, they flowed very well and the story line was very good, indeed. With the second installment coming out in movie form next week (Catching Fire), I wouldn't doubt a resurgence in the titles gaining popular reading once again. I myself am planning a re-read.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:01 pm

I found these three books in a charity shop while we were on holiday, but every time I am about to start them I find a book that I REALLY want to read. Just another hundred or so pages in Ben Aaronovith`s brilliant Rivers of London series, book 2, and I should be ready to start.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah, I hear 'ya there! It was taking me FOREVER to get through Stephen King's Under the Dome, and it changed from fun to painful, so it went back in the library for future reading and I've switched to Ender's Game on my Kindle.

Return to “Civie Books”