John Birmingham`s The Disappearance series.

Non-Military Books Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

John Birmingham`s The Disappearance series.

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 am

I have just picked up the second volume in this series, After America, from a charity shop and I have nearly finished it and will certainly be looking for the others.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/33 ... Birmingham

A post apocalyptic series, it is about the survivors after "the wave" hits and disintegrates the vast majority of the population. The books are told from the point of view of several people from all sides of the conflict, with apparently a couple of main characters running through the whole trilogy. I did find the concept of a pulse just wiping out people but as a way of explaining why there are so few people about it does work quite well.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: John Birmingham`s The Disappearance series.

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:51 pm

I have read the first one now, Without Warning, and it really does present a chilling version of what could happen if one of the worlds superpowers just basically ceases to exist. The world wide descent into chaos does seem almost inevitable.

It does take place quite a while before the second book, a couple who meet in the closing pages have time to fall in love, get married and have a child before the second one starts, also a slightly suspect character from the first book has time to become a small time dictator. There does seem to be scope for a fill-in book or at least a linking story between them.

I will be keeping an eye out for the third one.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Civie Books”