Craig Russell

Non-Military Books Discussion

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Craig Russell

Postby Frank » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:17 am

This is a guy I have fairly recently found. I started of with his Jan Fabel books

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43793-jan-fabel

A very good criminal drama series set in Hamburg, interesting characters and great plots. It makes a change having a series set in Germany, not the usual UK or US settings and the slightly different way they approach things is quite refreshing. So far I have read the first 3, and , having found number 6 for a good price in a charity shop I am really tempted to start that now despite the risk of spoilers for books 4 and 5.

I have also just started his other series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/67580-lennox

Set in 50`s Glasgow, they are a real throwback to the 50`s noir style of Chandler and MacDonald, I have read the first two and really enjoyed them, I have no 3 and it is definitely near the top of my "to read " list.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Craig Russell

Postby Frank » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I have just finished Lennox 3 and 4 and they are getting even better. One of the minor characters is really growing into one of my favourites, Twinkletoes MacBride, an enforcer for one of the 3 Kings, the crime bosses who have split Glasgow up between them. He is, to put it mildly, intellectually challenged but is determined to improve himself, mainly by the "improve your word power" section in the Readers Digest and using his new words in conversation, quite often pronounced in syllabels just like in the magazine. He got his nickname, Twinkletoes, because of his method of extracting information which involves some bolt croppers and the recitation of "this little piggy".
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Civie Books”