Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Far From Home

Postby Whiterook » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm reading the "Far From Home" series, by Tony Healey

image.jpg

I've actually completed the first series of 12 installments (something like 1000+ pages), and am now onto the Second Complete Series.

The story follows the adventures of Captain Jessica King and the crew of the Defiant as they find themselves pulled into a black hole and thrown from everything they have ever known in the first series. The second series throws the reader fr a complete loop!

I was looking for an epic adventure story that was reminiscent of "Battlestar Galactica" and/or the Kevin Sorbo TV series, "Andromeda". I like the premise of being stranded, or cast out into space with only your ship and luck on your side.These two books fit the bill nicely, though being Indie books, they both have their share of typos!

There's one character, that's supposed to be a Texan-type Space Cowboy. The problem with the character for me (and by reviews, every other American) is, being written by a UK writer, I don't for a minute think Mr. Healy knows how a Texan would talk! The word, "Yuh" has me wanting to tear my hair out....lucky I don't have much! :lol:

But overall, a very enjoyable read. I am getting rather anxious to get through the second series so as to move on....that's the one big problem for the series for me, of being enormous in page count; but that's not necessarily a bad problem to have!!!
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Far From Home

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Whiterook wrote:

There's one character, that's supposed to be a Texan-type Space Cowboy. The problem with the character for me (and by reviews, every other American) is, being written by a UK writer, I don't for a minute think Mr. Healy knows how a Texan would talk! The word, "Yuh" has me wanting to tear my hair out....lucky I don't have much! :lol:

Sorry Em, but as a Brit you have absolutely no sympathy from me, no matter how many times a writer gets it wrong it will NEVER make up for Dick Van Dyke`s cockney accent in Mary Poppins :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Far From Home

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Frank wrote:
Whiterook wrote:

Sorry Em, but as a Brit you have absolutely no sympathy from me, no matter how many times a writer gets it wrong it will NEVER make up for Dick Van Dyke`s cockney accent in Mary Poppins :lol:

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :lol: I gotta be honest...that was pretty danged bad! :D
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Return to “Civie Books”