Billy the Kid

All Music and Soundtracks

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Billy the Kid

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Currently can't get enough of Billy the Kid, a 1938 ballet written by the American composer Aaron Copland....one of my Top 3 fav composers of all time. It was choreographed by Eugene Loring for Ballet Caravan. Along with Rodeo and Appalachian Spring, it is one of Copland's most popular and widely performed pieces. The ballet is most famous for its incorporation of many cowboy tunes and American folk songs.

The copy I own is performed by Leonard Slatkin and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra

image.jpg
image.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 640 times

I've never seen the ballet version but I'd love to...

The story follows the life of the infamous outlaw Billy the Kid. It begins with the sweeping song "The Open Prairie" and shows many pioneers trekking westward. The action shifts to a small frontier town, in which a young Billy and his mother are present. Billy's mother is killed by an outlaw, and Billy himself kills the murderer, and goes on the run.

The scene then shifts to years in the future. Billy is an outlaw living in the desert. He is captured by a posse (in which the ensuing gun battle features prominent percussive effects) and taken to jail, but manages to escape after stealing a gun from the warden during a game of cards. Returning to his hideout, Billy thinks he is safe, but Pat Garrett catches up and kills Billy. The ballet ends with the 'open prairie' theme and pioneers once again travelling west.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Billy the Kid

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

A little taste! You can find great versions on YouTUBE!!!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Juke Box”