Mig-21R Profi-Pack in 1/48 by Eduard

Member's-only Model Gallery of Completed Works

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mig-21R Profi-Pack in 1/48 by Eduard

Postby Geek44 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:22 am

Hi guys. Lately I've been working on something that I thought might be the complete opposite of the Sopwith Triplane I finished earlier this year.
I've discovered a great online model store based in Melbourne and while browsing that one night I came across this and it inspired me.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/ ... ewbg_1.htm

This kit is one of Eduard's Profi-Packs which means it includes everything AND the kitchen sink. This baby has coloured PE (which is gorgeous), Eduard paint masks (which save a lot of time), tons of cool PE and as ever, a ton of grey sprues that hold parts that are pretty good. I say "pretty good" because they are...but they're not Tamiya or Wingnut Wings good. This kit takes a bit of old-fashioned modelling work...but not much.
The short version of the story is that I found this kit pretty challenging simply because I'm not a big builder of jets usually and so I'm not as familiar as I might be with how things work and what things are. I've always maintained that you can finish a model better if you know more about your subject. There's nothing quite like putting fuel stains in the wrong places on the model. And that's where I found myself with this one so I kept weathering to a minimum. Having said that, I enjoyed the build except for trying to match the Interior Blue colour found inside Soviet aircraft lately (this baby is Soviet era used in Afghanistan in 1980) to that found on the coloured PE. Failed dismally...luckily it's hard to spot. I also had some problems interpreting the instructions when it came to the landing gear. It's not very clear as to what part numbers go on which sides and I'm still not sure it's right...again, you won't know unless I tell you...oh wait :D .
Painted with Tamiya acrylics, Alclad Gloss Clear and Dullcote Matt. All upper airbrushing was freehand. The external fuel tanks are hand applied Testors ModelMaster Buffable Aluminium...these had RAISED panel lines on them...outrageous!

Thanks for looking.
Every part a masterpiece.

McCoy

Re: Mig-21R Profi-Pack in 1/48 by Eduard

Postby McCoy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 am

Goog work mate! The MiG-21 is a nice looking plane.

Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:30 pm

She's a beauty!!!! I totally get the part on inter[reting what thee instructions are not clearly saying. That can be so frustrating!

i love the bit you mentioned on your belief that....

'....you can finish a model better if you know more about your subject'

I couldn' agree more, mate!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:13 am

McCoy wrote:Goog work mate! The MiG-21 is a nice looking plane.

There are those raised panel lines eh? See what I mean about knowing your subject? :oops:
Every part a masterpiece.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:20 am

Geek44 wrote:See what I mean about knowing your subject? :oops:

Ain't that the solid truth mate! :lol:
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 pm

True dat! I've come back to builds after learning more about the subject on the side and have just accepted that good up-front research is priceless; and generally, the difference between a good build and phenomenal build.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Member's Showcase”