Panther Tank by Dragon

Member's-only Model Gallery of Completed Works

Moderator: Geek44

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Panther Tank by Dragon

Postby 50th » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm

This is the last model build I did, actually about a year before I was married (would have been around 2011). This model was hard as the mounting brackets and holes for the side armor didn't match up, and each track piece was a separate piece that had to be glued together to form the track (the track pieces in the track are the same as the extras mounted on the sides of the hull!). And the side armor piece on one side broke getting it off the plastic sprue (it was already cracked).

I see from handling the model, and these pics, that I didn't paint the last pieces that I put on. I remember that the base color was a spray paint and I painted in stages, and was going to get a brush on paint for these final pieces and never did. I'll try to edit the pics later to center them better.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panther Tank by Dragon

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Love the build! The Panther tank is a favorite subject of mine and will likely do a few more in time. You've a nice clean build there, and I like tha camo work a lot. What kind of glue do you use?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Since I painted most of it before I put it together, I ended up using superglue on most of it. The other glue didn't work well with it already painted.It hasn't come apart, yet. It has been moved with the other models when I got married, and it made the move OK.

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Pre painting can make things easier to finish off tidily but it does mess up your glueing. Superglue is good but just does not have the strength of a good plastic glue, glad it has stayed in one piece.

I really like the paint job on the ..Hetzer?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah, the model glue melts the plastic surfaces together, so if there's paint there, it kinda melts the paint and never makes it fully to the plastic. sometimes, you just need to paint a piece(s) before assembly, so...I scrape the surfaces to get glue with a craft or X-acto knife.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

Yep. Those individual link tracks can be difficult to handle and I avoid them when I can (which is EVERY time).
There's a trick to them and you really need liquid poly glue like Tamiya Extra Thin to work with them well. Work in sections and glue all of the links that contact the ground and let them fully cure. When you start having to make curves then your problems begin. Glue together a length that will extend from the straight section to the next point that it contacts anything like a wheel. Allow the glue to dry a bit, there should be flex but not so links fall apart. With care (and yep...a measure of frustration and annoyance) you should be able to manipulate the sticky bit into the right shape. Allow it to dry and repeat the process until you're all the way around.
Your main problem will be the hanging section between the drive sprockets at the front and the point that the track contacts the road wheels almost halfway back. It's a long, unsupported span. I know that the Dragon 3-in-1 Panzer IV Ausf. E kit had a jig provided to achieve proper track sag, if you get one use it. Then there's always the problem of the join between the first and last link. Often the gap is half a link and then you have problems with hiding the join. Basically I don't know how to ensure proper fit. My opinion is that the indy-link system is tedious, difficult and only marginally better than rubber-band style vinyl tracks. You're better off with something like ModelKasten workable plastic tracks which are individual link but they snap together while you assemble them and manipulate the shape. Once achieved you simply apply glue in-situ.
Or...take the plunge and get Friulmodels. Sure...they cost as much as the kit but if you like your armour, they're totally worth it.

Every part a masterpiece.

Return to “Member's Showcase”