Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WWI Gotha Night Raider Bomber Biplane

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Geek44 wrote:Seriously guys...

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3006

Compared to the above, Roden kits are little more than doorstops or maybe under the short leg of the table :lol: .

To make things either easier or more complicated depending out your perspective, lozenge was applied in sections on the real aircraft. Each section would span the distance between the ribs that ran chord-wise (front to back) or a few of them. It was then reinforced by what's known as 'rib-tapes' which was basically linen strips of lozenge or even solid pink or blue. The tape also ran around the leading edges of the wings as well. What this means is that you can apply your own decal in sections. I know in 1/32 you can buy ready made rib-tape decal but I don't know about 1/72.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects ... w-albatros

Pic in link clearly shows rib-tapes but the lozenge hasn't been applied section wise. Hope this helps.

Well dang! I like that idea of doing it in sections, but I wonder how hard it would be to match up the seams?

I love those Wingnut kits...I will get one soon :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:41 pm

Hagen wrote:I was afraid the decals may be brittle, I did one of Roddens 1/72 Fokker DR1's and the decals shattered pretty much on contact with the water. Very disheartening I must say.

So when you going to build another? :D

Mike...I have one in my stash, but it's an old Rodin kit I believe. Bought it in that estate sale many moons ago 8-) Now, this almost sounds a little like throwing down the gauntlet :twisted: ...you challenging me to a WWI Birdie Build Challenge????? :D

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Whiterook wrote:Mike...I have one in my stash, but it's an old Rodin kit I believe. Bought it in that estate sale many moons ago 8-) Now, this almost sounds a little like throwing down the gauntlet :twisted: ...you challenging me to a WWI Birdie Build Challenge????? :D

Nah, not at this time Em, the thought of rigging and all the decals does not sound like a good time. :( Plus the fact I have one hobby table and I'm in the process of setting up a game to play. :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 am

:D Not a problem :D I have several models started :shock: still waiting for some love, anyway. I am actually going to check out the Wingnut's product line and see if they have this little baby (I also think it was one of Goering's ride in WWI, I believe?)....

image.jpg

Albatross D.V....and the D.V.a cool looking birds!

But I believe my first Wingnut Wings kit I'd buy would be the Pfalz D.III. I LOVE that plane!

image.jpg

Although, the Roland C. IIa Late looks fairly close to the Albie in some ways ...

image.jpg

So, maybe I can scratch two itched with one nail? :lol:

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:34 am

Wingnut Wings are beautiful kits. As for WW1 kits I have a D V in my stash, the Eduard kit I also have one of the old Revell 1/48 Fokker D VII and I think one of the very old Airfix Albatross kits in 1/72.

I maybe up to a WW1 warbird build in the not to distant future. I would probably go with the D VII, lot less rigging on those!

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Love the Roland C! One of my favorites from the old Airfix 1/72 line. And hey, how can you not love a warbird with curtains in the windows! :D

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:40 am

Whiterook wrote:but I wonder how hard it would be to match up the seams?

No need mate. They real people didn't bother matching the patterns. The Vintage Aircraft DVa shows continuous lozenge but all other pics I've seen show sections maybe two ribs wide that aren't matched up edge to edge.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 962&page=1

Check out the above. Seems complicated but it isn't really.

Em you'll find the Pfalz DIII, Albie DV and DVa and also the Roland by Wingnuts. For the Albatri you'll also find several decal sheets available seperately. I have the DV and a set of 'Flying Circus' decals. You could conceivably build 20 different DVs and/or DVas with the available decals.
Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:48 am

Hagen wrote:Wingnut Wings are beautiful kits. As for WW1 kits I have a D V in my stash, the Eduard kit I also have one of the old Revell 1/48 Fokker D VII and I think one of the very old Airfix Albatross kits in 1/72.

I maybe up to a WW1 warbird build in the not to distant future. I would probably go with the D VII, lot less rigging on those!

Beautiful kits they are too with some great decal options available aslo.
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Geek44 wrote:
Whiterook wrote:but I wonder how hard it would be to match up the seams?

No need mate. They real people didn't bother matching the patterns. The Vintage Aircraft DVa shows continuous lozenge but all other pics I've seen show sections maybe two ribs wide that aren't matched up edge to edge.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 962&page=1

Check out the above. Seems complicated but it isn't really.

Em you'll find the Pfalz DIII, Albie DV and DVa and also the Roland by Wingnuts. For the Albatri you'll also find several decal sheets available seperately. I have the DV and a set of 'Flying Circus' decals. You could conceivably build 20 different DVs and/or DVas with the available decals.

My mouth is watering!!! :D

Return to “Member's Showcase”