P-47 Razorback in 1/48 by Tamiya

Member's-only Model Gallery of Completed Works

Moderator: Geek44

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

P-47 Razorback in 1/48 by Tamiya

Postby Geek44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 am

Hi guys...been a while since I posted anything meaty. I've shelved that 1/32 Stuka, it started to become a chore and I was finding it largely uninspiring...and this kit was quietly calling.

Spent a while in the study just building this baby. It's the Tamiya Razorback kit in 1/48 which is simply beautiful to build. On a whim I contacted my usual supplier of aftermarket decals and asked if he had any SEAC (South East Asia Command R.A.F.) decals for the Razor and he sent me a fantastic sheet by ExtraDecal that covers both the Razorback and the Bubbletop.

Uneventful, largely routine build except to say that I tried a new technique that I learned reading 'How To' books by Francois Verlinden (remember your old Tamiya catalogs from the eighties?) and I used good old 'Bare Metal Foil' to mask the canopy...worked a treat.
Model is painted with Tamiya acrylics, Humbrol enamels, cheap and expensive oil paints of various brands, Alclad Clear gloss and the drop tank is Alclad II lacquer...finally worked that stuff out!!
Enjoy.

Every part a masterpiece.

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P-47 Razoerback in 1/48 by Tamiya

Postby Geek44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:55 am

Also these...

Alclad II. My first success with it. Secret was the prep of the surface first. I used Tamiya black acrylic rather than Alclad's own gloss black primer, then I added several coats of Alclad's clear gloss which is a great analogy for Future which remains unavailable in Australia.

Decals were good as aftermarket ones often are but I've used better ones. Wouldn't stop me from using ExtraDecal again though.

Note white coloured exhaust stain. Results from lean fuel mixes and long distance flying.

Whole model was brush painted with Testors ModelMaster buffable aluminium. Use a flat brush and apply it dry...load your brush from what's in the top of the lid after vigorous shaking. It's kinda tedious and a bit messy but gives quite good results. Clear gloss over the metal, then Tamiya acrylics which lend themselves quite well to real chipping...I use an old airbrush needle.
Thanks for looking, any and all questions happily answered.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:38 pm

I built a Tamiya aircraft model in the late Seventies/early Eighties.... they're very clean and go together flawlessly.......
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:59 am

Hiya Frizz...been a long time.
Back in those days there weren't many Tamiya aircraft kits available. I remember an A-10 in 1/48 which was a great kit and an F-14 Tomcat which I never built. They make really great kits in both 1/72 and 1/48 these days but the fare is fairly standard...Spitfires, Messerschmitts and Mustangs among others.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Well, I was about to ask how you did the chipping, as it didn't look like your other method of painstaking paint application in nano-doses! Od airbrush needle...BRILLIANT! So....little flicks of the needle to applied-dried paint?

Beautiful model, mate....not sure if it was a camera image capture thing or reality, but I noted with delight the slightly dirty weathering of the prop holder (no idea the name of that), which I thought an especially nice touch.

I also appreciate the explanation of the lean fuel, exhaust streaks. Never thought of that as an effect on a model.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:03 am

Yeah that fuel thing was something I came across while I was building that old Hasegawa P-39 all those years ago. Seemed like every shot of a US aircraft I saw being used in the Pacific had white or light-grey exhaust stains.
Mate if there's one thing I've learned from those who model better than I do is that each part needs to be beautifully executed...without exception for a model to really, REALLY shine. I'm not there yet. In the past I've been guilty of neglecting areas and even rushing as I get closer to the end, usually because I've been looking at the same model for weeks or months and the next one is quietly calling...
I've watched a modeller from Germany who's work I particularly admire, take two weeks getting a set of landing gear just right before installation, his models are breath-taking. All I can do is try to emulate. My prop hub is duly weathered, chipped and washed.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 am

'Prop hub'....gotta remember that :D

Interesting observation....makes me wonder about my own modus operandi at the end of the build :lol: That really is an excellent point, on taking the turtles route rather than the hare. I've had old school and drum corps mates tell me they didn't realize 'so much went into building one of those things'; and I've thought with pride, the time I've spent on them. To them...it's an insane amount of work, no? Now however, you make me wonder (in a good way)...do I afford proper care and longevity to the process within the process?

All that said, you are leaps and bounds beyond my skill set, brother! I learn from you with each post! :D :D :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Mate...as long as we treat each model and the unique set of problems and solutions they present as a learning experience all's good.
I remember once reading ' Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. Cut a long story short it's about what vehicles people use as a means to spiritual growth and self-improvement. The idea was that when you did your own motorcycle maintenance you were in fact instilling a part of yourself into the motorcycle. The cookie-cut, stamped-out-in-a-factory machine slowly became uniquely you/yours and in the process, through work and diligence and devotion and time investment, time spent in the present moment...not planning a future or dwelling on a past...your soul became that much more evolved. Serene, calm and aware.
Some folks paint pictures, some sculpt, some play piano and some do any number of combinations of these pursuits that keep us present and striving to improve all the time. Modelling is such a pursuit. I never feel comfortable about value judging people's work as greater or lesser...it just is what it is. It's the journey that counts here...not the destination. ;)

Maglar

Re: P-47 Razorback in 1/48 by Tamiya

Postby Maglar » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey look at that.. Nick finished one! One set of wings too.. Impressive there mate. :D :shock: 8-)

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: P-47 Razorback in 1/48 by Tamiya

Postby Geek44 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Maglar wrote:Hey look at that.. Nick finished one! One set of wings too.. Impressive there mate. :D :shock: 8-)

Do my eyes deceive me?!?!
Great to see you mate. I've missed the modelling banter. Any of yours coming along?

Return to “Member's Showcase”