My own game design

Wargaming 101 for Designers and Enthusiasts

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My own game design

Postby 50th » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm

I designed a game about forty two years ago (no joke!), from a book I was working on called Lunar Wars. It was a book (never finished) about how both communist countries and Nato wanted to colonize the moon, and a war erupted when Nato forces found a communist base built on the dark side of the moon. So not long after I got into wargaming, I wrote the first rules for space combat above the moon. I lost those rules long ago, but still remembered some, and in the mid 80's, I re-wrote them and made better. My best friend and I have been play-testing these rules, with expansions, ever since then. Lately I've printed out counters on my ink jet printer (yeah computers) and have tried to make professional looking counters and ship sheets. Here is a couple of pictures:

IMG_2013.JPG
Lunar Wars Ships

The red and white chit represents a mine dropped from behind a Nato Triad (three winged) fighter. The red chits represents a UCR (United Communist Republic) ship, blue are NATO ships, and besides these there are missiles and space stations.

IMG_2011.JPG
Lunar Wars Maps

These maps are from two different games, I have a map that is all black with the same size hexes that I use for larger tables. I made at least three expansions, alien ships and weapons from the Aliens Attack expansion, ship creation rules from the Ship Creator expansion, and orbital bases from the Midway expansion. Midway is a base that orbits a Lagrange point roughly between the Earth and the moon.

So, what do you think?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Re: My own game design

Postby josta59 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm

I remember you talking about this game with me...I agree with Scott that it's incredible! So where are you with this design, Ron? I'd love to hear more about it! I hope you can add more pictures.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Whiterook wrote:I remember you talking about this game with me...I agree with Scott that it's incredible! So where are you with this design, Ron? I'd love to hear more about it! I hope you can add more pictures.

Oh, I've been play-testing this game for over twenty years! I have uploaded the instructions and some of the charts. I also have expansions, including an alien invader expansion, and and after invasion infusion of alien technology expansion. There was also an expansion to design and build your own ships, using the formula I used, and a large ship expansion was planned.

IMG_2007.JPG
LW Docs

Here are the basic rules, download and take a look yourselves.
LUNARRULES.docx
Basic Rules
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Here is a basic chart (double sided) sheet that goes with the basic rules
BASIC GAME TABLES.docx
Basic Game Tables
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

LUNAR102.docx
Ship Sheet Triad Fighter
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

In the ship sheet, the number in parenthesis is the firing arc using this table:
Hexnum.jpg
Firing arc and damage location
Hexnum.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 108 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 pm

WOW! Man, this is epic, Ron! I look forward to delving into your rules, which I just downloaded. I'm curious and too lazy to look right now...what size are your hexes on the maps?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 pm

One of the maps (colored areas) is from Star Fleet Battles. They are small hexes (10-15mm). I also once bought a map set that had four maps that go together to form one large map (too large for this table), which we play at my friend's house in St Louis. His table seats four per side. I bought blank chits at a game shop once and used to draw right on the chits. For this, I printed onto sticker computer paper and stuck them on the blank chits. I wanted to present this game at a game designers meeting at a game convention, but I signed up too late to go to the meeting. You roll pilot and gunnery skills with a D-4. Pilot skill is used to evade weapons fire. In the Plot Moves phase, you decide how many hexes you want to move and how many speed (movement) points you want to use for evasion. Each evasion attempt cost maneuverability /2. The modifier from the weapons table is added to the pilot skill for the test and a if a d6 gives a result below or equal to the modified pilots skill, the evasion was successful. Mark off on your turn chart evasion points used for that weapon phase. There are two weapon phases, Missile phase, and Energy weapons phase. Missiles are harder to evade, especially over longer distances as they have locked on. Tell me what you think after you have time to look at the rules and this.

Return to “Wargame Design WorkShop”