Have you ever created your own game, or rules

Wargaming 101 for Designers and Enthusiasts

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Have you ever created your own rules/ or game?

Poll ended at Fri May 20, 2011 1:00 am

1. Yes
67%
2. No, I've never wanted to.
No votes
3. No, but I've thought about it for a while
No votes
4. No, but I've always wanted to.
33%
5. I'm working on one now!
No votes

Total votes: 3

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Have you ever created your own game, or rules

Postby 50th » Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 am

The first game I ever created myself, was a game in the 70's called "Lunar Wars". I haven't played it in a couple of years, but I played it for about 20 years. I have, in that time, made an expansion called "Alien Attack". I also created a set of rules to use with the Whiz Kidz Pirate ships constructable card game, called "Archipelago of Gold". The rules set is downloadable on BGG. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19167/archipelago-of-gold-sxw
It uses hex maps and islands with gold to explore and win the gold to build more pirate ships. You can battle your opponent to keep him/her from getting to the gold before you do. I also created my own air rules for use with Memoir 44 because I didn't like the air rules that came with the game. I created my rules in a half an hour at a gaming convention after a friend told me that Richard Borg (the games designer) had wanted more of an anti-aircraft role for ground units. That got me thinking, and I created my own rules. They are available for download here: http://cdn.daysofwonder.com/uploads/userpages/272628/_4548.pdf.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have you ever created your own game, or rules

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 07, 2011 9:49 pm

I've two games under way:

A Battlestar Galactica universe miniatures game of space combat utilizing pewter and resin miniatures, a home made hexogonal gameboard, and rules.

A Stargate SG-1 miniatures game with pewter and plastic miniatures for land combat; to be played on a diorama with home made terrain and accessories/buildings, a working stargate (sorta), and rules.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 am

I'm working on a game in the Death or Glory series for Victory Point Games. It's based on Beaumont Hamel.
http://victorypointgames.com/articleDet ... 247&page=1
Frank Chadwick played In Magnificent Style and enjoyed it so much that he is considering adding his own talented touch to the series with a game on The Charge of the Light Brigade. In addition to that, while we were at the convention, Duncan Rice submitted more details on his contribution to the Death or Glory series with a game on the attack at Beaumont Hamel during the Somme in 1916. Duncan's ‘take’ on the system and this brutal battle is quite exciting and this game looks like a real winner. He has added his own twists to the system that really bring out the unique character of WWI combat.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Some of my stuff for Beaumont Hamel went off to the graphics designer today. I better get my arse in gear if the company is spending money on it. Back to work.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:18 pm

I just uploaded my Air Rules for Memoir 44 to BGG! I never liked the air rules that came in the air pack because the airplanes only move one more hex than the tanks! So at a convention, I sat down and wrote Memoir 44 Air Rules! You can use the M44 mini's that came in the air pack, or 1:144 or other small aircraft. I know from one player that the aircraft minis from Axis and Allies Miniatures works well for this. You can find the link from my Days of Wonder user page here:
http://cdn.daysofwonder.com/uploads/userpages/272628/_5693.pdf
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Good deal, lads!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Wargame Design WorkShop”