Black Tree Design would like your help

Wargaming 101 for Designers and Enthusiasts

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

btdjohnno

Black Tree Design would like your help

Postby btdjohnno » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi All,

I would like to introduce myself. I am John Olsen, President of Black Tree Design. This is my first time on the Military Wargaming. I would have been here sooner but I kept getting the security question wrong :oops:

I have been actively involved in the Miniatures Business for over 30 years (ouch!) and have recently taken over the reins at BTD. We have an enormous range of Miniatures and are looking to the future. We are working on a New Website with particular emphasis on including/updating the photos. We are also planning a great deal of expansion in 2015 and I would like your help. What Historical Periods should be be looking at? We have a hefty WWII Range, what should we add? Anything particular you would really like to see? Your thoughts & suggestions, and yes even your complaints, will be really appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

John Olsen
btdjohnno@blacktreedesign.com

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Black Tree Design would like your help

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi John...welcome to the site!!!!

I just looked at your site ...http://www.blacktreedesign.com/home.html

WOW! Beautiful range of 28mm minis! Everything I saw there is amazing. I need to ponder your question a bit more but, going in from a cold start, I'd love to see four subject areas:

1. Napoleonics
2. Viking
3. Gladiators
4. .....and this is actually the most controversial and is my #1 that I saved for last: Battlestar Galactic and Stargate miniatures!!!! Yes, I understand that licencing would make this a nightmare for you, so, doing your own thing with a taste from those lines would do (e.g., the old Xylons vs the real Cylons, if you catch my drift!). You would be hitting a market that has shown much interest in various miniatures forum venues. Sci Fi is picking up HUGE steam....

Check out http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=173&sid=5afc44a5e70893fda51669e0154aa969 ...and the Stargate stuff I have in that area

You might consider doing some steampunk stuff, too.

All off the top of my head.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:55 am

The Doctor Who Range is incredible!!!!! Just reviewing the "Tom Baker" era reveals a thorough understanding of the series.....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi John, welcome to the site.

Our gaming club up in the midlands play a lot of historical stuff, Bolt Action, Saga, Muskets and Tomahawks, AWI, ACW but these are all reasonably well supported with metallics and plastics. We also play Ronin which is not so well catered for, I think it is Black Star? who make some war bands for the game but otherwise apart from the Perry twins stuff there is not much decent medieval Japanese stuff.

Have to say I agree about the Dr Who stuff, some real classics you`ve done there.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

btdjohnno

Postby btdjohnno » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks Guys,

Really appreciate the kind words and suggestions.

Whiterock - I can understand your fascination with BG. Back in my days at Games Workshop (early 80s!) 3 of us designed a BG boardgame that didn't go anywhere. Wish I knew where it was now. Really not sure if there would be market today for a Game/Miniatures System but you certainly have me thinking about it tho :)

Frizzenspark - The range was designed by a real hard-core fan!

Frank - We are setting up a Club partnership in the near future. Please send me the details and I will be sure to contact you when it has been sorted out.

Cheers
John
btdjohnno@blacktreedesign.com

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm

:D Everytime I go to a large convention (e.g., Origins), there is some fellow or other who has a Star Wars miniatures game set up. I'll always ask them, "Why not Battlestar?", with a grin...and the reponse is always the same: The few people that make BSG-style miniatures are few and far between, and thus cost an arm and a leg to gather a large force. I'm one of those nuts that swan against the tide and built a large force, LOL!

I actually started writing a ruleset for BSG, and then dropped it as well for a conversion into it's own story.....westling with permissions from the studio was just too much to bear :lol: ...thiss is a hobby for me, not my livlihood, so I took the easy way out and made my own Universe. the plus is, you can use any ship(s) you desire!

...still working on the last stages of it, and planning to start having fun with it by this summer :D

btdjohnno

Postby btdjohnno » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:20 am

Good luck with your Summer BSG Campaign. Would love to see photos :)

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:38 pm

btdjohnno wrote:Good luck with your Summer BSG Campaign. Would love to see photos :)

Oh believe me, you will :D It will be well covered here.

btdjohnno

Postby btdjohnno » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:03 pm

:lol:

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:28 pm

It's been a while since postings have been put into this topic.

I have since, dealt with these folks twice..... outstanding service both times!

Shipments arrived effectively three working days from order

They have a great range of miniatures, good prices, weekly specials. what's not to like?

http://eoeorbis.com/pages/weekly-sale
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “Wargame Design WorkShop”