LOS & Wargames Article

Wargaming 101 for Designers and Enthusiasts

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOS & Wargames Article

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Responding to another post, I was reminded of one of the best examples of LOS in wargame design I've ever seen, by Simmons Games....

http://www.simmonsgames.com/design/LineOfSight.html
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Re: LOS & Wargames Article

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:44 am

Cool material here, but I don't see any use for (manual) wargame design...
If you have a computer handy to "see" if a LOS is blocked (and God knows how many wish we Squad leader players had ever done...) OK to factor all the terrain's fine details but if you have only a map and your Mk1 eyeballs....... :(

And I say that from my experience in tacticals wargames: we have to accepy the "low resolution" of the maps; I love the Firepower approach to LOS but at start it is a real pain in the S, afterward you are accustumed to it... :mrgreen:

And the Firepower (or Gunslinger or Sniper....) approach is not suited to a large number of combatants or the poor players could have a brain overload!!!!!!!!

Speaking of miniature gaming, when I was young and willing to design some huge ruleset I tried even a little homemade periscope to see from the head of the shooter....fun but time-consuming!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:24 pm

That is one clear advantage to miniatures gaming. Even though I've left board games behind, I still struggle with this issue because I'm still using a two-dimensional display to play games using miniatures rules. This is one reason it would be worth it to make actual terrain on a table.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:
Speaking of miniature gaming, when I was young and willing to design some huge ruleset I tried even a little homemade periscope to see from the head of the shooter....fun but time-consuming!

OK...that's seriously cool! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

josta59 wrote: That is one clear advantage to miniatures gaming.

True mostly, but there are those 2-D wargames (maps) that distinguish elevations and nitty gritty heights, though that can get complicated in itself, eh?

josta59"Even though I've left board games behind...[/quote]

] :o ...no seriously, :o

[quote="josta59 wrote:
I still struggle with this issue because I'm still using a two-dimensional display to play games using miniatures rules. This is one reason it would be worth it to make actual terrain on a table.

There is a clear advantage to dioramas played with miniatures, as it does get away from Luca's point of accepting "Low Res" , instead of imagining perspective in in your head, you can see it with your Mk I's. :lol: An interesting juxtaposition to this however are games like Memoir' '44, Axis & Allies Miniatures land and sea miniatures on paper maps, etc., where you have the 3-D miniature on a 2-D map. That'll mess with your mind on a bad day!!!

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 am

Good point Em, the perspective in your mind is a great way to not be confused...when I start playing PC shootem'up games I found a knack to calculate at a glance the clear/blocked Los: thank you board games maps and their quite difficult Los calculations!!! ;)
And when you "see" the action unfolding like a movie you enjoy even if the game is one-way,almost... ;)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Wargame Design WorkShop”