login

Suggestions for Improving the Site

Moderator: Whiterook

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

login

Postby Chrisd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

ok I have chosen to remain logged in on here and yet to this day just like over at TCG I cannot stay logged in... look I'm old and forgetful so having that feature keeps me from having to remember my password could this be fixed please?
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: login

Postby 50th » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I always check the auto login and it doesn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary, is that supposed to keep us logged in or log us in automatically next time?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:47 pm

I have no idea....I was under the impression that auto login populated your user name and password in the login in fields on some browsers so that all you have to do is hit the submit button. I also know that not all browsers act alike.

I know that this has something to do with cookies, and settings for them....and that some admins that have changed it lost access to the board. Currently there is nothing that I can do....but I'll look into it a little more and see what can be done.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:01 am

Been doing the same here for me since the move. You should be able to use the "Log me on automatically each visit" option and not have the password saved in your browser, it'll use a cookie instead and just bring you back logged in next time you visit as long as the cookie is active. Just wanna say, for security reasons, it not a good idea to use the save password feature in the browser.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

Still having the same problem, as I've logged previously. No change since the move. I use Chrome and Android browsers. The auto-login box does nothing for me. I'm used to it by now!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 pm

josta59 wrote:Still having the same problem, as I've logged previously. No change since the move. I use Chrome and Android browsers. The auto-login box does nothing for me. I'm used to it by now!

Same here, I use firefox.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Em 99% of the other sites I use when it asks me to remain logged in each time I visit as soon as I am on the site I am automagically logged in without having to click on the login button and having it bring up my name and password then logging me in.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 am

Thats strange, I'd say about half of mine I have to type it in,otherwise my comp remembers the password and name. I just hover over the entries and they show up, clik on em and there ya go.

Including here, but does'nt work for some others like ACG, at least for me.

Cheers

Tom

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm

So is this being looked into?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Well, unfortunately, it's all part if the skin we used on the site. The skin here is the same skin as used at the old site....just upgraded; and I added a bunch of personalization in the form of images (like our background, the tank with Smiley Handgrenaide on the bottom, tweaked colors and added artwork, etc.) and coding (like YouTube uploading, documents, etc.)

The use of a free stock skin, in which it is then changed to 'develop a distinct site identity' has the bonus of allowing the ability to do a lot of things, yet the trade off of not being able to do a lot of other things. Some things work great...some things have aided in my hair loss....

The opposite of this is a paid for skin, which involves hiring someone to make it to my specs...which costs money. This is a hobby for me. I make no money from the site, nor is that the intent :D ....

Therefore...yooze gets what yooze gets. Unfortunately, what we can't seem to get is what you want. If it could be got, I'd have gotten by now ;)

I get a lot if requests, and that's great. I wish I could bring everything I'd like to see onto the site...and many of those things are what you've all asked for....but I can't.

Sorry.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Site Suggestions”