Took the "plunge" on running a Roll20's VTT RPG!!

All things Role Playing Games

Moderator: Frank

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Took the "plunge" on running a Roll20's VTT RPG!!

Postby TRDG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 am

Thats where I have been most of the time the last 2 weeks, so please forgive, it really tends to suck you in, once started!!

3 sessions so far, and alll I gotta say is that I SUCK at tech these days, but I'm still trying!!

A few pics as the players and I left it Sunday after 4 hours or so of Live Google+ hangout Voice(video options yet unused for now) optional play.

2013-08-26_041031.png
Overall at the end of the session

2013-08-26_041158.png
Lower part of "The Meeting" the PC's all meeting each other for the first time, in battle naturally!! Ha ha

2013-08-26_041131.png
Upper part of the rockslide ambush as the fledgling new party moves to Sandpoint, their main destination.

Cheers, more in a bit about this and yes I am running Rise of the Runelords Campaign, Burnt Offerings.
LOL

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Took the "plunge" on running a Roll20's VTT RPG!!

Postby TRDG » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 am

Just got done with session 5 yesterday and no tech problems, finally, but let me try to start from the beginning here......... :)

Right after my vacation some weeks ago I popped back into roll20 and really checked it, on Chrome instead of my usual brouser, and all the features worked!!

So, I then started a campaign there, fleshed it out a bit and posted a players needed thread for a weekly RPG game played every Sunday and some Mondays.

Then I left the site, next day I come back and I had about 30 potential players banging on my perverbial door, wanting to play my Rise of the Runelords Campaign.

Man was I blown away, and just loved that part, so I got down to the selection process as to who first PM'ed posted on the main player forum or my mini campaign forum, first come first serve sort of thing.

Seems an "older old school gamer/GM not played/ran anything in YEARS face to face but did play by posts... was fairly lacking over there.

Reality sets in quick as after I replied to the first 5 players I only got 1 reply back by my time deadline, before I moved onto the next player on the list.

First two that agreed to play that seemed good to me were two vets on the site, GMed and played o the site for about a year or so.

A day later I got my 3rd 4th and 5th player vetted and they were in the game.........

Session 1, 2 weeks ago, had only 2 of them showing up that sunday....... but I carried on, hooked up the Google+ then stated a hangout for voice and video if needed, and the game began, with 2 players.....

Right away I ran into tech probs, seemed simple enough in practice, as I spent many hours there doing just that, but not quite the case when playing live......... to say the least.

Both vet players were VERY understanding and helped as much as they could, and we go through it, even said it was'nt to bad compared to the games they started (GMed and as a player) there!! Ha Ha Ha

THEN after that game I started seeing posts by one of the players questioning the other new players I picked up, from their stats to race and even class..........

Let it go but sent a few well chosen PM to the guy, enough said.

Next day 2 of the other players popped into the game while I was working on it and decided to start them up at the spurr of the moment.

Session 2

Cheers, to be continued

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:15 pm

To continue here on Session 2 of my Campaign game

So in Session 2 I finally met, voice to voice my 2 fist players I picked up on another site.

Bill was a great guy from the start, he was just like me trying to relive the good old days of face to face, or as close as we could get anyways these days in our busy schedules.

Jay was the second one, and I found out he was "impaired" in some way, his voice slurrs a bit and makes noizes from thime to time, BUt he was pretty funny and sharp in chat and got into the test game real well.

Ran through the basics as I knew them at the time for Roll20, and my type of GMing, and they liked it, a lot it seems.

2 hours and we were done and ready to go for a full session in campaign game next session, number 3...... or so I thought, LOL

Cheers

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Session 3

Well, I was all ready to go with my 5 players.......

From the get go that Summoner person did not show up, key to the start of the party meeting for the first time altogether in battle. So I just ran him into the woods, so to speak, and was going to kick him out of the game after this session.

So I start the fairly complicated battle with the remaining players all spread out on the map, mostly fog of Warred up. I show them what they see, an ambushed wagon train going to the Swallowtail festival in Sandpoint and......

You guessed it, the tokens did NOT show up for anyone but me in the GM screen......

So, after trying everything I could think of, I had to reupload all of them as they were revealed as the PC's moved through the map.

Needless to say it was a long battle, and in the middle of that my 4th player vanished, mid game. Found out later he lost net connections for the rest of Sunday, could'nt be helped.

So we did in fact get into a bit of a rythm in the end and after 5 hours session 3 was complete!!

Also of note that 5th Summoner MIA player popped in mid game for 5 minutes then vanished again.

So after the game he was no longer apart of the group, needless to say, so I'm back to 4 players again.

Cheers, Session 4 I was getting ready for, checking and rechecking and..... To be continued

Tom

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Up to session 15, and some new players as others dropped or were kicked out for their antics. sad to say. Life as a GM is not so easy I can tell ya, but so nice to have a ready supply of many players over there!!!

2013-09-15_100408.png
One of the party members goes on a side quest by himself.

I ran an out of game side quest for this player in PM style as he got entangled in a wrathfull father/naughty daughter situation. Quite fun and well played!!

2013-09-16_141741.png
The Rusty Dragon Inn, the parties main base once settled in.

Their main base in this first module, The Rusty Dragon

But thye had to fight for their base!!

2013-09-16_140256.png
a main side story quest they got early in the game

Goblins take over a local house and the party tries to dig them out while saving some family members...... well they got 1 out of 3 out alive GULP!!

Tom

ooooooooooooo

Return to “RPG Corner”