Downloading VASSAL Modules (Mods) & Extensions

Tutorials on how to use site features

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Downloading VASSAL Modules (Mods) & Extensions

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:31 pm

This is a tutorial on how to upload VASSAL Modules (Mods) and extension files. The process for extensions can be very confusing. Hopefully, this will make things a little easier for you! :D

Think of this as filing in three levels...a central file and two sub-folders. The concept is to have:

I. A central repository for all your VASSAL game modules;
II. Sub-folders for each individual game, that will have the VASSAL Mod itself; and
III. Another sub-folder in each individual games' sub-folder for extension files.

NOTE: I also keep the actual games I am GMing within the individual games' sub-folder (#2 above)

1. First, create the Central Folder in which all your Individual Game Folders (and their VASSAL Modules) will go. I labeled mine, 'Vassal Mods' (I. above).

I store mine on my hard-drive, in My Docs (but you could just as easily save it on a Flashdrive)....

2. Create the sub folder(s) for the module(s) you wish to have (II. above). Note that this tutorial uses Panzer Leader as an example, and the image below shows multiple games (folders) currently within my personal Central VASSAL Mods Folder. This is my Library.

:!: NOTE: You will Save the actual VASSAL game modules into these individual sub-folders

3. Within the above individual game sub-folder files, create another new sub-folder (#III. above) with the exact name of the module as listed in the VASSAL Mods website, but...INSTEAD of the '.vmod' extension from the original VASSAL filename, replace it with '.ext' (e.g., for the Panzer Leader 'Pzb-pzl35b05.ext')....

4. Within that .ext sub-sub-folder, save all of the extension files....

On the Vassal website for mods, you see the Filetypes listed, and the ones that are extensions are the ones referenced here. It may be a tad confusing where these are being saved to! ..but generally, it's Downloads folder on your computer, which you simply copy or cut, and paste in your Vassal game folder's sub-folder.

5. Launch the Vassal module so that you have the Vassal Library displayed.

a) Go to 'File' and select 'Open Module'.

b) Go through the file path to the Central VASSAL Mods folder and double-click the module - this will add the module to your library (it will probably take a few minutes to process due to its size). The name of the module should now appear in your library window and if you double-click on it you are able to launch the module (no need to do this yet).

The image below shows the Panzer Leader game module newly added to your VASSAL Library...

5. Once that is complete you have the base module and are now ready to add the extensions next. To do this.....

a) Right click on the name of the module itself (e.g., Panzer Leader, in the image above), and ...

b) Select the bottom option - 'Add Extension...'.

c) Go through the file path until you reach the sub-folder (e.g., 'Pzb-pzl35b05.ext') ...

...and double-click the extension file (repeat the process for other files).

This will add the extension to the module later when you actually open the module; and you can tell this has worked because next to the name of the module in the Library window a small key will appear to the left....

d) Click on that key and it opens a drop menu beneath with the name of all extensions....

You then go through the same process for all.

This system works for all extensions to modules on vassal - once you know how to do it (and it took me a while to figure it out) it becomes very simple to add new extensions as things are released. Only thing to note here is that when you actually open the module you will sometimes get error messages that the extensions won't work. Ignore them - that is because the extensions were created to work with another version of the module. They do work.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “MWF Tutorials”