GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR

Storage Unit for Rulebooks, Demos, and Player Aides/Charts

Moderator: Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:23 pm

GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR, by Lou Coatney, ELCOAT@Hotmail.com or CL52@yahoo.com, 626 Western Ave., Macomb IL 61455

http://www.coatneyhistory.com/GEvsRB.htm

Mr. Coatney makes the claim of COPYRIGHTED -- NOT Public Domain -- but FREE under the following conditions:

• Schools, libraries, and museums are free to make and keep copies for in-house educational use or nonpermanent loan/circulation ... in gratitude for the fine education and research assistance I have always received from such institutions.
  • An individual is free to make one personal copy of GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR for his/her own personal use.
  • All other rights -- including publishing rights -- are reserved by Mr. Coatney.

Per Mr. Coatney's website:

GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR is an educational 2-player strategic simulation game modeling the historical decision-making situations of the Axis and Soviet commands on the Russian Front -- or The Great Patriotic War, as the Soviets memorialize it -- from the time of the Nazi invasion in 1941 to the liberation of Soviet territory in 1944. Short, hour-long scenarios, depicting the most critical phases of the war -- such as the first defeat of Blitzkrieg in 1941-42 -- can be used.

Indeed, it is the early defensive/counteroffensive battles of the Second World War which many historians feel are the greatest Allied victories. In England and America, for example, the Battle of Britain, the back-and-forth battles in North Africa, the Soviet derailment of the German war machine in Russia, the dramatic naval Battle of Midway, and the brutal land, naval, and air battles around Guadalcanal are most often studied. Although students may find themselves serving as Ais commanders in military history games -- sinking Allied ships, for example -- this is accepted in the spirit of learning.

GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR can be used as an instructional aid in history classes -- the intended purpose of its 1987 publication by the U.S. Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) -- or as a standard game (using the 1941-42 scenario) in tournaments. In either case, the "Game Analysis and Results Form" should be used.
The scale of GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR is one month of real time per game-turn, 140 miles/240 kms per hexagon width and corps/army/front (50,000-250,000 men) in unit level. Like the Soviet T34 tank, this historical game was conceived to be of simple manufacture, but of superior design, having the essential decision-making variables of the campaign's military operations.

Although such a game can be highly absorbing and uniquely educational, its players should never forget the grief and destruction which accompanied the invasion. It is estimated that 27 million Soviet men, women, and children died in this holocaust. Nevertheless, the player commanding the Axis forces should do his/her best in the game, to show the gravity of the Nazi military threat and the greatness of its historic defeat by the peoples of the Soviet Union.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GERMAN EAGLE VS. RUSSIAN BEAR

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 pm

The components are pretty rough (counters, maps, etc.), but I thought the premise intriguing. I plan t play around with a full-color map, which I'll post in this thread; and perhaps a new set of counters. This, of course, in the spirit of Mr. Coatney's intentions and NOT for public sale by anyone (including me).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm

I played the Android app version of this game a little over the holiday and enjoyed it. I played against a computer AI and won on my first try. I considered a solitaire game but didn't get around to it.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 am

josta59 wrote:I played the Android app version of this game a little over the holiday and enjoyed it. I played against a computer AI and won on my first try. I considered a solitaire game but didn't get around to it.

Thanks for this app Scott. Downloaded the Rommel in Africa app also. This is just what I've been looking for!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Hagen wrote:Thanks for this app Scott. Downloaded the Rommel in Africa app also. This is just what I've been looking for!

Cool! Enjoy!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 pm

josta59 wrote:Cool! Enjoy!

I think I will! :D I spend a lot of time in Dr's waiting rooms when I take our residents to appointments, this will be just the ticket!

I've searched for wargame apps for android before but never came across these before. Doesn't appear to be bad for a couple of freebies, 5-6 scenarios apiece, not bad, not bad at all. :)

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Same here. I don't recall how I searched this time...maybe "hex and counter"? I was pleasantly surprised with that find, needless to say.

LouCoatney

Postby LouCoatney » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:31 am

You guys might be intrigued by my new little Moscow microgame, also free to print off and play from my CoatneyHistory webpage.

I *should* upgrade the GEvsRB graphics, I suppose. ;)

Return to “Warehouse Quonset Hut”