FUBAR: One-page SF/Modern miniatures rules

Storage Unit for Rulebooks, Demos, and Player Aides/Charts

Moderator: Lucky Luke

josta59

FUBAR: One-page SF/Modern miniatures rules

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I went looking for simple miniatures rules again and found this ONE-PAGE rule set for a game called FUBAR, by the Forge of War Development Group, a.k.a. Gawd 'elp us Games (http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/). I'm pretty excited and want to try it out.

Other rule sets like Force on Force and Battlefield Evolution are just too big for me right now. This will give me something easier to get started with.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts? It's very simple but includes a lot of features I've seen in more complex rule sets. There's also a second page available with optional morale and casualty rules.

I figure I can use squads and scenarios from the bigger rulebooks and use these simple rules to play them out. Or just come up with my own scenarios.

fubar-core-rules-4th-edition1.pdf
(97.08 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FUBAR: One-page SF/Modern miniatures rules

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm

This set has popped up all over the place lately, and is a great system to get intp a sci-fi or Modern-style miniatures battle quickly, and is adaptable to a wide range of miniatures used. I like the rules a lot.

There appear to be around 15 supplements for the game which allow you to play a good variety of miniature brands, or any number of other popular games from DUST to Star Trek. The game is geared the towards 28mm miniatures, but other supplements move into 6mm or 15mm, so the game is scale neutral.

The game works on a simple D6 system. All units have an activation, expertise and suppression rating. Every turn, players roll for initiative...the winner then attempts to activate a unit. If they succeed, the unit can then make an activation move (run, run + shoot, on guard/overwatch, assault, etc.), and then attempt to activate another unit. If the unit fails activation, then the opposing player attempts to activate a unit. The turn ends when all units have had a chance to try and activate. Failing to activate automatically puts a unit on guard/overwatch. Shooting and close combat use the units expertise to determine if they succeed in the action. Weapons have range and number of shots.

I am more familiar with the FUBAR - WWII Skirmish Rules, which have been a popular choice for many gamers for some time.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Some other gems for this system....

Stargate SG1, which was a system I was considering to use with my SG1 minis at one time!!! :D
FUBAR Stargate SG1-2nd Ed.pdf
(409.59 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

...and
FUBAR SF1895-v0-2-2.pdf
(410.38 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

Also available....

Alternate Morale Rules
FUBAR Alternate Morale Rules.pdf
(432.56 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Generic Sci-fi
FUBAR Generic Sci-fi.pdf
(44.7 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 pm

These might interest you, Scott...

FUBAR Afghanistan.pdf
(192.79 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

FUBAR Afghanistan-missions.pdf
(167.05 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Didn't know it was so popular! I've been a little obsessed with this today. I've chosen a scenario and map from Force on Force and am trying to piece together a rudimentary map with the Firepower boards that I can use, since the FoF map was too cluttered with ugly labels.

Maybe I should send you the original map...I've seen how good you are at making maps!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Lastly (and believe me, there are actually more supplements available!), this a neat one still under development at the moment....'

FUBAR WWII Infantry-platoons.pdf
(356.25 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

What intrigues me about this is it's a quick entry, like the others; compared to the 21 pages of the FUBAR 28mm WWII Skirmish game....of which my understanding has no relation to this FUBAR series. A FUBAR in itself????

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 pm

josta59 wrote:Didn't know it was so popular! I've been a little obsessed with this today. I've chosen a scenario and map from Force on Force and am trying to piece together a rudimentary map with the Firepower boards that I can use, since the FoF map was too cluttered with ugly labels.

Maybe I should send you the original map...I've seen how good you are at making maps!

Yeah...this system is a current buzz.

So you're planning to play this with counters???

And yeah, I'd be interested to see the maps.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Yep, you know me...the old do-it-yourself-in-PowerPoint-for-free trick. Giving the girls a bath right now, but I'll send the map soon. It's half buildings and half park, with a curved road up the middle. Set in '80s Germany...where else? ;)

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Here's the map I wanted to use. Hey, if you draw this and I make the counters, maybe we could play it. It should all go pretty fast, and we're both familiar with the rules already. I'll go ahead and do some playtesting on my ugly map.

With a game this easy, I could make lots of AARs... :geek:

Force on Force 109.pdf
(154.5 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Here's a rough approximation I made in PowerPoint. Good enough to play a game, I think. The Soviets have to get from the southeast corner to the northwest, and the Americans, of course, have to slow them down and then withdraw.
Attachments
FUBAR West Germany map 2.png
US Mechanized Infantry lie in ambush as a WARPAC Motorized Rifle Platoon passes through the outskirts of a West German town.

Return to “Warehouse Quonset Hut”