Site Admin
Site Admin

Avalon Hill's Circvs Maximvs

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Avalon Hill's Circvs Maximvs

Circus Maximus Cover.jpg
Circus Maximus Cover.jpg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

From Battleline, the original publisher:

"The grandeur and decadence of ancient Rome in your living room! Thrill to the dust of chariot races, or the skillful bloodshed of gladiatorial combat. Circus Maximus is really TWO games in one. In the Chariot Race game you pick your team of horses, driver, and chariot car, each of which have special characteristics . . . In Gladiator, you pick up your weapons and step onto the bloodstained sands, simultaneously maneuvering, striking, and waiting for that fatal step that puts you inside your opponent's guard."

Battleline's Circus Maximus would later be developed by Don Greenwood and published in 1980 by Avalon Hill as separate titles: Circus Maximus and Gladiator.

Violent and bloody, Circus Maximus details the chariot races that occurred in ancient Rome. Eight teams race around the track three times to determine victory. Players prepare for the race by selecting the composition of their team of horses, their rider's skills, and the type of chariot that will be driven. Once the race begins the players are free to do as they wish to hamper the other racers including whipping the rider, ramming chariots with scythed wheels, smashing into horses, and running over crashed opponents. A campaign game of multiple races, in which players have to manage their teams and can increase their income by betting on races, is also possible.

Here's a new stream-lined version of the rules...

Streamlined_Circus_Maximus.pdf
(583.26 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

Here's the older, full rules....

circus_maximus_rules.doc
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 1979 times

and some Quickrules.....

circus_maximus_quickrules.doc
(46 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

And some aides....

Circus_Maximus_charts.pdf
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 181 times

Circus_Maximus_Pushpin_Log.pdf
(259.51 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Circus_Maximus_Steward_Sheets.pdf
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 160 times

CMaxLog.pdf
(785.96 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Lucky Luke

Re: Avalon Hill's Circvs Maximvs

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 pm

When I found these docs on Boardgamegeek, at first I dismissed them but now I forced myself to re-read all the bunch.

The charts, obviously, are the most useful ( but you can found a copy on the last pages of the rulebook), the other items are more of a customization and a rewording of the original rules as a coherent house rules.

But when I read the quick rules I found something I was determined to do anyway...so I take them as a start and re-revised them reverting to the original rules.

House rules are born and evolve according to their "ecological niche" i.e. social and technical needs.

I don't think we'll be in trouble with any of the rules modified or suppressed in the 'quick rules'as "is it" in its original version.

So, to come to the end, please have a look to the attached document...
CM_quickrules_revised.doc
(43.5 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Good night to all of you...(different time zones are real s.o.b., right?)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Gunny0231
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Gunny0231 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm

When I returned to MSU after my first stint in the Corps, the gaming club on campus had a league up and running using both parts. Even had betting (in game only, of course!), Colored Teams, Houses and more. Went on for several years until interest began to wane. Then we decided to end it with a gladiators revolt on the tabletop! Gloriously, the gladiators thumped the Romans!.
On average it took five Panthers to take out a Sherman. Four would be in a ditch out of fuel or broken down, the fifth one just blows away the Sherman before catching fire by itself.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 am

Gunny0231 wrote:When I returned to MSU after my first stint in the Corps, the gaming club on campus had a league up and running using both parts. Even had betting (in game only, of course!), Colored Teams, Houses and more. Went on for several years until interest began to wane. Then we decided to end it with a gladiators revolt on the tabletop! Gloriously, the gladiators thumped the Romans!.

I presume you are talking about "Gladiator", the other Roman-themed game from AH/Batteline ?
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Warehouse Quonset Hut”