Valor & Victory

Storage Unit for Rulebooks, Demos, and Player Aides/Charts

Moderator: Lucky Luke

Lucky Luke

Re: Valor & Victory

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 am

Whiterook wrote:
Double Deuce wrote:I have looked it over several times but just didn't think its something I could really get into. Honestly, each time I check any of the tactical WWII boardgames out there, new or old, I just end up going back to the gold standard, ASL. :mrgreen:

I've been suspecting its because I want something with the depth of ASL, but not a binder full of rules.[...]

I had (22+ years ago...gasp!) played (and bought!) from Squad Leader to Cross of iron and played with my close friends at ASL (never bought...too many $$ for me!) and enjoyed it for the tactical options it offers.

IMHO if you "cancel" some rules you lose "only" some details, but details are the bricks of the ASL's house.

Anyway, me and Josta are playing a Firepower scenario resembling the "Guards Counterattack": you can't escape your destiny... ;)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

evandro

Postby evandro » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 am

Hello everybody, I recently discovered Valor and Victory. I am a solo player and I enjoy simple rule sets. V&V seems very attractive to me, since it provides a lot of detail that I haven't found in other games of comparable complexity (e.g. individual support weapons, individual leaders, extensive rules for all kinds of vehicles and much more).

I wanted to point out that the game is still available for free!
See the boardgamegeek wiki:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/284 ... ctory/wiki

The most recent version of the rules was published in 2015:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9288 ... game-rules

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

evandro wrote:Hello everybody, I recently discovered Valor and Victory. I am a solo player and I enjoy simple rule sets. V&V seems very attractive to me, since it provides a lot of detail that I haven't found in other games of comparable complexity (e.g. individual support weapons, individual leaders, extensive rules for all kinds of vehicles and much more).

I wanted to point out that the game is still available for free!
See the boardgamegeek wiki:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/284 ... ctory/wiki

The most recent version of the rules was published in 2015:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9288 ... game-rules

Welcome to the forum!

Valor & Victory has a large following, and one of its greatest claims to fame is its accessibility. A cool bonus is being able to use the HexDraw editor to design new boards! I've been wondering how comparable it is to the new-ish Advanced squad Leader Starter Kit series.

I downloaded the rules many years ago....I must confess I can't recall if they've upgraded the rules since I printed them off. This is one of those games that is on the 'To-Play' list :shock:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi evandro, I once downloaded V&V and printed out the rules. Then I discovered Memoir 44 https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/, which is also easy, but includes miniatures! I have every expansion for M44 except for the bag (I don't need no stinkin' bag). Welcome aboard and read some of our earlier posts. There are many things to see (members gallery, board game and miniatures games areas), things to discuss (game design, scenario design, favorite books and movies, off topic areas), and many things to read (other hobbies, writers corner, ect). I hope you feel at home, put your feet up, and have a good time. You came in at a good time, we are going to be getting a better site soon, so watch for that as well.
Oh, there are also online games to play too (play by post).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

evandro

Postby evandro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:03 am

Whiterook wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Valor & Victory has a large following, and one of its greatest claims to fame is its accessibility. A cool bonus is being able to use the HexDraw editor to design new boards! I've been wondering how comparable it is to the new-ish Advanced squad Leader Starter Kit series.

I downloaded the rules many years ago....I must confess I can't recall if they've upgraded the rules since I printed them off. This is one of those games that is on the 'To-Play' list :shock:

Thank you, Whiterook!
From what I have read, the game only had minor changes through the years, and your print should still be good. I enjoyed my first solo test games and I hope to play more soon!

I wondered if it could be possible to edit the first post in this thread and remove the red "update"? It could be misleading to newbies interested in V&V...

evandro

Postby evandro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:08 am

50th wrote:Hi evandro, I once downloaded V&V and printed out the rules. Then I discovered Memoir 44 https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/, which is also easy, but includes miniatures!

Hi 50th! M44 is one of the few wargames I own. Actually, in my first tests I have been using Memoir tiles as terrain for Valor&Victory :)
...and I play Valor&Victory with minis (actually, basic plastic army men).
The two games are indeed comparable as complexity level. Memoir44 is a total design masterpiece. What I currently see as a plus for VV is that it has a smaller scales and squad leaders are represented as individuals. I think this might help creating the "war narratives" I am mostly interested in, in my solo games.

Return to “Warehouse Quonset Hut”