Hello.

Site Member Introductions

Moderator: Whiterook

thughes

Hello.

Postby thughes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

My name is Terry Hughes. I have been into the War Game since the late 70's. To old to remember the date. Started out with PB/PL then moved to Squad Leader. Tried ASL but all those rules just made my head hurt so I stayed with SL. Now that my kids are grown and I am about to retire I want to get back into the war gaming. :)

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hello.

Postby 50th » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I started playing wargames in the 70's too. My first wargame was Luftwaffe, an AH game. My favorite games are Memoir 44, Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies board games. I also play Battletech and a Star Trek Starship game. What are your favorites?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Terry. I am another who started in the 70`s, with D`n`D, though mainly minis gaming since that. A lot of the guys are fans of the games you mention so hopefully you will find plenty to interest you.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:27 am

Welcome!
My first war game I ever played was Panzer Leader too! I played with some friends but the owner was a guy in love with German units and he seek victory with any means...cheating included!

So I bought SPI's MechWar'77 and started my collection...(https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/lucky%20luke)
I remembered Panzer Blitz also: there is the one with the first LOS rule, but it was a "walking" one (if I remember correctly)...the cotton thread was not used!

Have a look and if you spot any game you fancy to have a talk about it please do it!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome aboard!!! :D You're right in our wheelhouse and I am sure there's plenty to keep you busy here, which I hope you've already found out for yourself.

I hear you on ASL, but I have to say that the Starter Kits were the game changer for me. I've owned the older rules and almost all the modules for years but, trying to get into the full blown system just required more time and brainpower than I'd had to spare :lol:

I find the Starter Kits for ASL fairly equivalent to games like Lock 'N Load Heroes of Normandy, Panzergrenadier, and even not too far off (upward in complexity) to Panzer Leader, for instance. It's well worth exploring ASLSK.

I also hear you on the retirement thing! I'm about 3-5 years off aways from the day I can retire, and wargaming is a MAJOR planned part of that. I joke that, every wargame purchase is part of the investment towards my retirement years! :D

Anyway, enjoy the site and please, jump right in and start posting....the site definitely benefits from each one!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

rcleary171

Postby rcleary171 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi Gang!

My name's Bob. I'm new here so I will need some time to explore and see what's being discussed. I played around with wargames going back in the early 70s (Panzer Blitz, France 1940, Midway). I tend to aggravate to solo friendly games. For me a wargame is a puzzle with a number of solutions. Now that I'm a grown up and a professional software developer I have been tinkering with wargame models.

Thanks for letting me in and I hope to connect with some of you as I being to participate in discussion threads.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Welcome aboard! The same games were how many here started their wargaming gigs....and I totally relate on the solitaire front, in which I am glad to see a few game developers re-embrace. DVG has been knocking my socks off of late!

Have a look around and I'm looking forward t talking game with 'ya!!! Please let any of the Mods or myself know if you have any questions....and I hope to see yu join in on one of our Play by Post games!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 am

Hi Bob.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will find plenty to interest you here.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

rcleary171

Postby rcleary171 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks Frank - this looks like a friendly place full of wargame experts.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi Bob, I started war gaming in the seventies as well with Luftwaffe and a computer turn based Viet Naum strategy game.Welcome aboard!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “Introductions”